Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I finally got to shoot my "new" 45-70 1895 Cowboy at more than 20yds! Still only 110yds but useful for setting a woodland hunting zero. I've fitted a 1-4 Vortex PST scope on a Williams Ace-in-the-hole combo-rail. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy with factory Remington 405gr SP loads:

The calipers aren't pictured quite right but it's easily a sub 1 inch, 3 shot group at 110yds. In other words, well inside the recommended UK minimum for deer.

I'd made up some homeloads but the weather was atrocious (snow and sleet) so I couldn't chrono. Since it was shooting the factory ammo well, I decided simply to hunt with that for now.

The butt cover from this thread didn't have much recoil deal with (light factory load) but worked well with respect to length of pull and comb height.

Can't wait to get out in the woods with it!

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Good shooting! Thanks for the range report! That would just about ruin a deer's entire day. :tee:

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Great shooting. Post us a picture of your rig if you get a chance. I'm facing adding a scope to my CB for longer than 100 yard shooting and your combo sounds interesting.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Today I finally got to shoot my "new" 45-70 1895 Cowboy at more than 20yds! Still only 110yds but useful for setting a woodland hunting zero. I've fitted a 1-4 Vortex PST scope on a Williams Ace-in-the-hole combo-rail. I was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy with factory Remington 405gr SP loads:

The calipers aren't pictured quite right but it's easily a sub 1 inch, 3 shot group at 110yds. In other words, well inside the recommended UK minimum for deer.
UK mins for Deer? You have to show your rifle can shoot to some minimum of accuracy or you can't hunt deer? What if the rifle can do it but you can't?

The average kill zone for a deer is 8 inches......

110 yds...100 meteres?

·
Premium Member
15,416 Posts
Good shooting

Reactions: crow killer

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
Nice shootin! Good group.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
UK mins for Deer? You have to show your rifle can shoot to some minimum of accuracy or you can't hunt deer? What if the rifle can do it but you can't?

The average kill zone for a deer is 8 inches......

110 yds...100 meteres?
100m=109.36yds

We have some small deer here! Fallow, Red and Sika achieve reasonable size. Muntjac, Chinese Water Deer are small. Roe in between.

There is no legal minimum for a rifle or a shooter or combo but if you are a on a paid outing, most estates will ask you to shoot a 100 yd target and put 3-4 shots in a 3in circle (prone, bipod, etc. so pretty easy.)

If you take the commonest deer-stalking qualification (DSC1) the shooting component is thus:

SHOOTING — Place three shots inside a 4in circle on a zeroing target, then a total of six shots into the kill zone of a deer target from 100m (prone), 70m (sitting or kneeling), and 40m (standing), as shown below. Three attempts are permitted at each target. You can use any aids to shooting that you would normally have available to you in the field, such as bipods, sticks or a rucksack, as a support.

Obviously, what you can achieve at the range may not correlate with your ability in the field.

Knowing that my rifle can group on the range is, of course, reassuring when it comes to the hunt.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice shooting!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
Nice grouping! That should get the job done!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts