Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has Anyone experienced a Decline in Accuracy After Shortening the Barrel?
Anyone Notice an Improvement? Not Concerned w/ Velocity Changes, Just Any Accuracy Issues.
Been Considering Shortening the Barrel on my '74 336 .30-30 to 17in.
My Big Concern is that She's a Real Shooter w/ the Factory Barrel & I Don't want to Lose that.
Any Loss of Velocity is a Non Issue as Most All of my Shots will be Under 100yds.
Any Input from your Experiences Greatly Appreciated.
Just wanna Consider All Factors Involved Before Makin The Cut.
Thanx,
UncleSarge58

·
Premium Member
16,806 Posts
Hey US,

Should not hurt the accuracy. You may need to fiddle with your load. (Shorter barrel may "like" a different powder, or a different amount of the same powder)

The bench rest crowd seems to think that a barrel length of 20-7/8" is "ideal", from a barrel "harmonics" standpoint.

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
617 Posts
I shortened my 336 (actually a gunsmith did the work) and the accuracy remained excellent. I believe the barrel is "stiffer" due to the thin portion of the barrel being removed, which goes toward the gun retaining it's accuracy....assuming the barrel was cut/crowned correctly. The only negative accuracy issue that I found was the thicker portion of the 17" barrel that I now have touched (pressed against) the top front portion of the magazine tube, but the gunsmith addressed that issue as well to keep the barrel heat expansion from causing vertical stringing of my groups. In my opinion, and for my use of the gun under 150 yards, the 336 shortened to 17" is much more handy and well balanced....and it still holds 5+1 rounds of ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
.30Rem,
That's My Thinking also. Still, She Sure would Look Cool w/the Shorter Barrel & Button Mag Tube.
AND, She'd be Unique & One of a Kind. I'm Still Trying to Make Up my mInd.
Really Hate to Lose the Accuracy though.
US58

Reactions: glockmeister

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Lucky1,
Was thinking about Buying a Crowning Tool & doing the Work myself.
I have Already Shortened the Mag Tube. So, No Issues w/ Vertical Stringing.
If I shorten it to 17in. that'll get rid of the Factory Groove/Slot 4 the Front Barrel Band Screw.
And,then I can Install an Old Style Dovetail Front Sight (Without a Hood)
I think it would Look Really Nice that way.
US58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx T-Roy,
If Anyone Knows about Short Barrel Marlins, It's You.
You Definitely Have some Fine Shorty's in your Stable.
Any Recomendations on Making the Cut? Hack Saw, Band Saw?
US58

Reactions: T-Roy

·
Registered
39 Posts
If done properly, no. If not, well...

As others have mentioned, there may be a slight variance in which load is most accurate, but may not be noticable.

As long as one does not cut it back to exactly 16 inches on first attempt, one can always correct minor crown issues, etc. without running afoul of any legal issues. Your plan sounds great.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Whitewater,
She Shoots Great Now, As she is.
1/2in. to 3/4in. 3rd groups @ 54yds. & +-1in @ 100yds.
Just thinkin about Shortenin' the Barrel to 17in.
US58

Reactions: whitewater

·
Registered
569 Posts
I had one of my 336's cut down to 16.5", and I've had no problems accuracy wise. All the shooting I do in the woods is under 100 yards as well. I never worry about barrel heat expansion expansion since all the important shots I'll take in the woods will be from a cold barrel, in my opinion the better handling in the brush would make the loss of a quarter inch of accuracy after several shots worth it anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's what she Looks like now:
DSCN0366.JPG

US58

Reactions: dpe.ahoy and T-Roy

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Will B mounting a New Weaver Kaspa 3-9 X 40 on her When I get Back Home in May.
Have also changed the Mounts to 2 pc. Steel & added a Sling Swivel Mount to the Button Mag.
If She gets The Cut, I may Not even put a Front Sight back on her.
May also Remove the Rear Sight & Fill the Dovetail.
Still Undecided though & I have Plenty of Time to Think about it between Now & the End of May.
UncleSarge58

PS: This Scope (Weaver 4X) & 3-9 Weaver Sportsman I have on it Now, Will be Up 4 Sale When I get Home.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Question unclesarge58: RE the picture you posted. How is the magazine retained? My guess is a notch for the fore end band screw. Or did you add the dovetail for the threaded post the magazine cap screw to thread into?

With the shortened magazine, that barrel is begging to be shortened. I think a properly done crown and accuracy will not suffer.

That said, harmonics may come into play. A subject way above my pay grade. I would leave enough beyond the legal limit of 16" so I could recut if accuracy suffers. I am thinking 18" then 17" and last resort 16 1/2" But then again, I don't know enough about it to say, maybe it's not enough to matter and cut to your prefered length?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sarge,
If you can round up an old "Making Your Contender Perform" that used to come with every Contender, you will have a wealth of 30-30 (and 35 Rem) loads for use in 14-16" barrels. As I recall, it also stated that the Super 14 barrel in 30-30 lost virtually no velocity when the proper powders were selected. Always felt a shorter barrel, all other things being equal (crown, etc) had the potential for slightly better accuracy due less barrel time for the bullet. My experience has borne that out and the handiness in "the thick stuff" outweighed any possible minor velocity loss. Best of luck on your project!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BuffaloBob,
To hold the Mag Tube in place I Drilled & Tapped the Barrel Band.
Drilled thru the Stock & used a Blued Hex Head Screw.
The screw threads into the Original Barrel Band Screw slot in the Mag Tube & Pulls it Away from the Barrel.
I drilled it at a slight Forward Angle to pull the Mag Tube in tight against the Receiver.
Works Great & has Held Tight for Several Boxes of Ammo.
As to Choice of Length: The Factory Slot for the Front Barrel Band is at 17in.
I just figured that it would be a Good place to Start.
US58

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
miljimbob,
Thanx 4 the Tip. Will Look into it.
I'm really Not Worried about Velocity, Just Accuracy.
I have found that the Lower Velocity Loads (1400-1800fps) Are Outstanding Performers w/ 170gr Cast Boolits.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
376 Posts
BuffaloBob,
To hold the Mag Tube in place I Drilled & Tapped the Barrel Band.
Drilled thru the Stock & used a Blued Hex Head Screw.
The screw threads into the Original Barrel Band Screw slot in the Mag Tube & Pulls it Away from the Barrel.
I drilled it at a slight Forward Angle to pull the Mag Tube in tight against the Receiver.
Works Great & has Held Tight for Several Boxes of Ammo.
As to Choice of Length: The Factory Slot for the Front Barrel Band is at 17in.
I just figured that it would be a Good place to Start.
US58
Next time you have it apart, pictures please. I like short magazines, this could open new possibilities.

·
Registered
8,987 Posts
i have shorten several barrels and it always seems to improve accuracy, i don't know why. i even cut a super blackhawk to 5 in. and it improved. i got no problem cutting a barrel.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
656 Posts
I do some gun work on the side and have shortened alot of barrels the accuracy was never affected but better in some cases.

Reactions: unclesarge58
1 - 20 of 57 Posts