Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired an older 1893 in .38-55 and I love it. However, the bore is in terrible condition and it keyholes at 50 yds. I'm thinking of having the barrel re-lined but have never done so. Any of y'all have experience with this? If so, how has the accuracy been? I'm sure it depends on the quality of the work but just looking for some similar experiences. Big thanks-

Texas Chase

·
Registered
5,447 Posts
T C, only in .22LR. It worked fine. My guess is that it will work! Good luck, Jack

·
Administrator
23,807 Posts
I'd try shooting some lapping rounds through it first then maybe a larger dia cast in it.

Relined bbls are very accurate. You could also go to a rebore and rechamber.

Nothing wrong with a .444 to shoot light cast loads out of respecting the 93s action strength but still be able to muster Elk medication. Likely a cheaper alternative. Same bolt face, might have to alter the mag tube just a little for loading.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I'v had several old Marlins lined with great results by Taylor Machine. http://www.johntaylormachine.com/ Acuracy is at least as good as unaltered guns so far as I can tell.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a relined 25-36 Marlin in 1893. Norman Johnson, and he will make sure the headspace and the mechanics are also correct. He also did a hand lap of bore after reline. Shoots great.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

Would you care to give us a link or contact to Norman Johnson? Or is his location a secret like yours is?

·
Registered
683 Posts
Norman Johnson, High Plains Re-boring and Re-rifling

Turtle Lake ND 1-701-448-9188

It could be such a thing that he will have a replacement barrel for your rifle. Replacing is about $50 cheaper than re-lining. Norman has worked on a few rifles for me and several for friends, the re-linings have been at least as accurate as factor barrels.

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
jeepster360mag said:
Do you think a 450m barrel could be relined to 375? Is this cheaper than a new barrel?

John
Dunno, I guess it would depend on the outter dia of the liner.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Profile updated to show location.

Had no idea that it might be important to some of our Marlin family. E-mail address included.

Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses fellas. The old barrel has lots of character and I want to stick with the original chambering. Sounds like a relined barrel is in my future.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
texaschase,

I had a 336RC 30-30 caliber re-lined to 32-40 several years ago. It turned out to be the most accurate lever action rifle I have had.

Please no comments about that awful thing setting on top of my Marlin but without it at 73 I could'nt hit the side of a red barn.

djh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts