Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely love looking at the photos of the Texans I keep seeing popping up here. Until joining MO about a year and a half ago I didn't even know they existed! (pre-marlinitis) They just speak to me somehow.

Anyway, I was in the eastern end of my State on a work trip and stumbled on an 1895SS that I thought too good to pass up (I'll post about it in the 1895 Forum), but the fellow didn't have any ammo. I'd traded off my 1895 Guide Gun back about 15 years ago, and all of my reloading supplies for the 45/70 along with it. So this Pawn shop guy told me about another gun shop on my way back home that might have some ammo. Well, he didn't. But he did have something else that caught my eye right away! It was a 1989 30TK in 30-30, in outstanding condition! It was priced at $349. After I fondled it a bit and handed it back (remember, I had just paid for a 1895 that I was in there looking to feed) I automatically said "What's your best number?". He came back with $279.00 plus tax.

How could I pass that up? Well, I just plain couldn't. I filled out the paperwork and added it to the other Marlin riding home with me! I haven't done anything but remove the lever to run a patch through it and wipe it down so far, but there's very little wear on the lever and the bolt still has some of that brown looking oil that was never cleaned out since it was new. I think I was the first one to actually remove the lever!

It has a Tasco scope setting on see through mounts (of course) and it also came with a nice leather sling. I plan on shooting it for accuracy before removing the scope and I think it needs a Skinner sight. The little 18-1/2" barrel really handles nicely to me, and that towering scope just messes that all up. (sorry about the crappy cell phone pics)

You gotta just keep looking, and eventually your dreams will come true...............now if I can just find me a .44 I'll be happy......well I do need a 45 Colt too........... and I've been thinking about a .308.....................

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I'd love to be accident prone like that! Great find kraynky.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Wow!! What a steal on one of my favorite versions of the 336. You are one lucky guy!! Congrats and enjoy! :tee:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Congrats! I love my TK and it will be in the field this fall!

G.

·
Registered
661 Posts
You'd better wake up and pinch yourself, you might just be dreaming. That Texan is a fine looking rifle.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Good finds. Loose the see through mounts. If the Tasco is made in Japan, it may be a good scope. If China, maybe not. Either way, you did good.

·
Super Moderator
25,166 Posts
My 1989 30TK is my favorite Texan model--took me 25 years to finally get one. It was worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very nice find! you paid about half the price i did but mine was wearin a 4x leupold. View attachment 117893 View attachment 117894 View attachment 117895 congrats on your new to you fine marlin! View attachment 117896
Now that's a beauty! Your is one of the photos I've been drooling over! Wonder what the difference in the mag tubes is all about? Mine only holds 4, I think. I agree papabear, the twin towers have to go. I haven't thought to check the maker of the Tasco, but that's a good point.

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
Congrats! I'd also say you did well... :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Nice score!!!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
How long is your arm gonna be in the sling? I KNOW you wrenched it getting your wallet out for that price. Congrats on a steal of a deal! DP

Reactions: duxnbucks

·
Premium Member
17,018 Posts
Hey Kentucky,

Wow! Two at once!

Full freezers ahead! LOL!

Later, Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts