Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this levergun for just two weeks and have in the last few days begun thinking about accessorizing it after this fall's hunting season.

I'm thinking of going with XS systems ghost ring rear sight along with a Williams front Firesight. Any specific tips you have in setting this up with a minimum of difficulty would be welcome

For scoping it, I will be looking at the XS scout scope mount and topping it with Leupold's 2.5 Scout scope with quick detach rings.

Sling will be one of Brownell's Latigo slings.

I may consider trigger work, but for now, the trigger breaks cleanly and is not heavy.

Any other things I should consider in improving my enjoyment of my new pride and joy - other than getting out frequently to the range and shooting it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I did a few things to my new 336Y:

1) Red Fire-Sight
2) Williams receiver sight
3) Marble's folding rear sight
4) Wild West trigger
5) Lighter mainspring
6) One piece firing pin
7) Sling

The one piece firing pin usually draws a lot of controversy. The half cock notch, safety button, and trigger block are all still intact and quite functional. I had to open the top of the front sight hood to allow more light to hit the Fire-Sight. Williams now makes a receiver sight for Marlins that utilizes the aft 2 scope base holes if you have a new rifle that does not have the 2 litle holes on the left side of the receiver. I also had to do some filing on the extractor hook because it was digging into the rims of the cartridges and locking up the whole works. I understand that it is not entirely uncommon on new Marlins. The factory obviously chambers their proof loads singly without the benefit of testing the magazine. The Wild West trigger drops right in and gives a 3 pound pull and eliminates the annoying Marlin sloppy trigger. I also put one on my new 410. I am willing to attempt any kind of work on my firearms, but messing with sear and trigger engagement is not one of them! Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
566 Posts
As to accurizing. Start at the muzzle. you can either file off the end of the screw that runs thru the end of the magazie into the hole it fits into the barrel so it does not bear against the barrel or back it out enough so it isn't touching and locktite it in place. Then loosen the front barrel band screw so the band will rock back and forth a bit, locktite or fingernail polish reccomended here also. Dot the same with the forearm band though I have had to rekieve the band where it touches the barrel with a file several times in the past. This is all you really have to do most of the time to reduce vertical stringing from warming up the barrel. Sometimes you also have to remove a little wood that bears against the forearm barrel band so there is just a small bit of fore and aft movement of the forearm. I also have found the 336 to be a bit ammo sensitive as to what they will shoot best so experiment there also.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My .35 336 is an older model-- presafety. I don't know what has been done to it before I bought it but with factory Rem. The first 2 shots will almost touch every time if I do my part and can easily keep a magazine full 6+1 fired in under 3 minutes in a 2x2" square. That was using a Leupold mount from wally world and a Nikon 4x in burris Zee rings.

Needless to say I didn't monkey with it. Check yours out once you get it scoped and hopefully you find as I did that shooting (the fun part) is all you have to do.

Good luck and keep us posted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts