Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well boys and girls -- I turned my neighbor into a long range junkie today. But he is still a great kid, one of those young men you like having around. I was over at his place today talking over some construction stuff. When we got done I suggested he bring his Henry .22 Long Rifle over and we’d celebrate a warmish sunny afternoon by shooting some flippers and dingers. It’s a little 20” barreled carbine. I’d put a Marbles tang sight on his rifle late last year and he has gotten to be quite deadly with the little rifle.

We shot the dueling tree and ran up and down a wide range of flippers. He was shooting great. The Skinner Black Gold and the Mountie were smokin’ -- at least I was keeping up!! That’s when it happened. He looked up and said he was gonna try and hit the 200 yard dinger. I suggested about 65 clicks in his sight. He got it on the second shot. He hits it twice more and is looking over at the 380 yard Diamond. There’s a 15 knot, left to right, cross wind. I think 80 clicks. He’s on it in five shots. He runs dry. I hand him the Mountie and suggest he aims at a white rock just over the Diamond as a hold over point. He catches the Diamond on the second shot. The kid is doing great!!

I went in and got the shooting sticks and said “may as well kill the 400 yard dinger too”. I knew in my heart that it would only take one hit and he’d be toast. Hooked for life. He’s at 90 clicks in the Marbles and still needing a little hold over. The wind is pushing his bullets four feet right of the dinger. Then he’s on it. Now it’s shoot, ding, smile… shoot, ding, grin... shoot, ding, bigger grin. Total gonner. Boy, am I proud of myself!! Here’s the kid shooting the Mountie at the Diamond off the sticks…

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Absolutely no regrets!!

And here is what the 400 yard dinger looked like when we finished...

·
Registered
171 Posts

I live in an area where 400 yards shots are not possible because of houses and roads, however I would love to be able to shoot at 400 yards just to see if I can do it. Dan

PS nice shooting

·
Registered
978 Posts

I never had a range like that, but we did a bunch of long range pellet gun shooting. Milk jugs at 150 yards with my crossman 766 was pretty fun. The jug would be at the base of a tree and we'd be aiming for the fourth or fifth branch up.

·
Super Moderator
15,824 Posts

To be able to do that is awesome! I love shooting at longer distances, but the furthest I can get to from here at my range is 330 meters, might have to try the 39A or 781 there one day. :D You're doing great with the young fella too, Wish I could see his face light up. Mr fixit

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts

Great day, great shooting, great pictures and a sweet shooting story.

Thank you!

Catherine

·
Premium Member
5,268 Posts

Very good job, Wind!

I'm guessing in the first photo that white pixel is the target? ;D

Jon

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts

Now you are going to have to get him shooting with a 38-55. You did good Wind. Pat yourself on the back. You deserve it for getting this young man into the sport.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Hey again ya'll -- Thanks for the kind words. Landon has some shooting time under his belt already. It's just that so many folks have a ".22 is for short range" mindset. With a family, and now a major house addition, he has a bunch on his plate all the time. We are working in some reloading time on my equipment for a few of his other rifles and getting in some fun plinking time as well.

Centaur 1 -- The greatest shot I've ever made in my life was with my old 310 Benjamin pellet rifle shooting birds in a public park when I was a pup. I could never tell my dad about that shot as he would have busted that rifle over my butt for doing what I was doing!!

Here is a picture with a couple of arrows added. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts

That is really good stuff Wind. Really like the story & pics. Everyone back East here would love to have a place like that to shoot. I can shoot 300 yards at the range but it isn't free or likely as much fun...

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Hey there ANF -- Landon has the Marbles on his Henry. I have a Marbles on my 39a as well. I wanted a better rear sight than what came on the Mountie and installed a Skinner Black Gold sight. It gives me basically a fixed rear peep sight tall enough to deal with the Mountie front ramp and sight. It's a grab-and-go rifle that is zeroed to 50 yards. The whole package is fun and accurate. Here is the sight...

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

And here is the whole rifle. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

'he used to be such a nice young man...' said Landon's mother-in-law. ;) "Now we hardly ever see him."

That there is a heck-uva 22 shot, especially with the wind blowing. Looks like he's a fur-shur gonner. Does that mean his wife ain't going to be baking for you no more? That'd be almost as bad as running out of ammo.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Hey there Wet Dog -- Actually took a little video of the Kid. Could use your help in getting it posted!! Between the accurate little Henry rifle and the Marbles sight, he done good. I'd wandered out and painted both dingers in the morning. On the way back past the Diamond I shot it three times with the Mountie at about 50 yards. Those are the three clustered in the 'splat' in the bottom section. I caught it a few times with the Mountie and the rest of the hits are Landon's. The prevailing breeze just about blew them off it to the right. Here is another pic for your dining and dancing pleasure. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
25,048 Posts

Wind you are one of a kind . Awesome .. all you do is awesome..

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

I'm planning (fingers crossed) to make the next Tonasket shoot (14th?) so I could snag a CD from you then. If you can figure out a way to email (smaller size) I could do it sooner.

Hoping to get the 32-20 off to a good start. Haven't had enough trips to the range to be confident but I think I'm in the neighborhood. Was hoping to get it tested in April but missed both matches. Sure like that little cartridge. That one on GB is still calling to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts