Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got to ask in order to be sure. Is the Hornady 350 gr. round nose bullet safe to use in a Marlin 1895 ?

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Uh..................round nose bullets and in-line magazines aren't typically considered a safe combination. Loaded and fired one at a time would definitely be no problem, but with the recoil of the .45-70, I'd be a bit more than leary of the safety factor. I've read about some pretty catastrophic chain-fires from that combination. Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uh..................round nose bullets and in-line magazines aren't typically considered a safe combination. Loaded and fired one at a time would definitely be no problem, but with the recoil of the .45-70, I'd be a bit more than leary of the safety factor. I've read about some pretty catastrophic chain-fires from that combination. Someone please jump in and correct me if I'm wrong.
That's the reason I asked the question. I have loaded some and shot some with no problems BUT..?.. They are listed in the Hornady manual along with the Flat Nose bullets under 45-70 and the Marlin 1895 rifle being used,even the Hodgdon's manual has the round nose listed for lever actions.I have even heard that some guys file a flat nose on the round nose bullet because of the nose to primer position in the tube. I have also heard that round nose bullets are not a good idea in a lever action with tube magazines.So then,how can one not be confused ? I have about 5 boxes of the round nose 350 Hornadys and nothing else to shoot them in.I hate the idea of shooting them for target practice one at a time.I guess I could use them for hunting by jacking one into the chamber and loading one in the tube,just to be on the safe side of things.

Reactions: mrguvna

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have shot a fair amount without any issues, most at close to max loads. Shooting the max load probably isn't the smartest idea but I had to give it a try. The other posters are probably right, round nose isn't typically suggested for tube mags. However the hornady RN is so large it covers the whole primer, would be hard to get a piercing affect to set off the primer. 2nd I think if there was any concern hornady would put a warning on there box. Shooting the gummy tips actually give me more of an uneasy feeling than do the RN.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you're concerned, just take a swipe at them with a file and make them flat nosed. That's about all that should take and you'll be in business.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you're concerned, just take a swipe at them with a file and make them flat nosed. That's about all that should take and you'll be in business.
Pretty much what I was thinking.Turning the bullet into a FN seems to be what the doctor orders.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Hate to be "anal", but................a swipe with a file might remove enough lead to protect the primer in front of it in the magazine, but how will you know it's perfectly at right angles to the cartridge? If I were doing that, I'd drop the rounds in my lathe and make them nice an uniform. I'd hate to file them at an angle and possibly mess of the accuracy. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
The base of the bullet has more impact on accuracy than the nose of the bullet. File the nose if you are worried. You would really have to do a lot of filing to mess the nose up enough to make accuracy suffer.

Or try to find some FP bullets. Nothing else get some 350-405gr cast RNFP and shoot them until the jacketed bullets are availible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Found out after the fact that the 350 gr bullets don't expand at 45/70 velocities unless you REALLY push them. Mine acted like solids on game. 2 heart shots & 1 neck. No problems, made meat, no expansion either.

They are good for 458 win mags. Yes, safe for 1895s. I load 1 in the chamber, 1 in the mag.

What are planning on doing? Hunting or paper?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The base of the bullet has more impact on accuracy than the nose of the bullet. File the nose if you are worried. You would really have to do a lot of filing to mess the nose up enough to make accuracy suffer.

Or try to find some FP bullets. Nothing else get some 350-405gr cast RNFP and shoot them until the jacketed bullets are availible.
I'll second that. Unless you alter or damage the base of the bullet you'll have no problem if you just take a little off the nose.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found out after the fact that the 350 gr bullets don't expand at 45/70 velocities unless you REALLY push them. Mine acted like solids on game. 2 heart shots & 1 neck. No problems, made meat, no expansion either.

They are good for 458 win mags. Yes, safe for 1895s. I load 1 in the chamber, 1 in the mag.

What are planning on doing? Hunting or paper?
Actually both,hunting and paper. I have pushed some 350 grainers at over 1800 fps and I am here to tell ya,it sure isn't my cup of tea.They hurt.Almost made me cry and pee my pants. lol

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Actually both,hunting and paper. I have pushed some 350 grainers at over 1800 fps and I am here to tell ya,it sure isn't my cup of tea.They hurt.Almost made me cry and pee my pants. lol

I shoot the Hornady 350 FP @ 1922fps from my GG using H4895, not a lot of fun.

I shoot a lot of 350-405 cast @ 1400-1500fps, much fun.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Aren't the round nose 30-30 and 35rem bullets pointier than the 350RN?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Aren't the round nose 30-30 and 35rem bullets pointier than the 350RN?
Humm! come to think of it.I see your point.That sure creates another wondering thought.My brain molecules are all over on this one.

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
I've shot many 300 gr. Winchester Silvertips (RN) through my 1895 without any issues. In fact, I bought some of the bullets to reload.

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Besides, those bullet noses aren't necessarily touching the primers squarely. Especially those cartridges with rimmed cases. Filing a flat nose on the 350RN might actually place a crisp edge against the primer.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I shoot the 350 grain flat nose Hornady in my 1895 at 1700 fps. This is not uncomfortable, but have no plans of going any faster with it. FYI, per Hornady's website they have temporarily suspended production of the flat nose and I think the round nose bullets. Hope they do not suspend too long. That is my deer/hog and everything else bullet.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts