Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how accurate are they at 100 yards with sabots?

How is recoil?

How good or bad is the trigger?

There's a new one on sale at a good price at a shop near me.

Accuracy is the most important factor for me. If you have one of these, let me know how it shoots.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
H&R slug guns

I've had 2 slug guns. The Ultra Slug 12 gauge (10 gauge barrel bored to 12 gauge and rifled) and the regular 20 gauge slug barrel with open sights.

To me, the 12 gauge just kicked too hard. I've read it kicks likes .338 mag, which my shoulder believes! :oops:

However, it was VERY accurate. Something like 2" or less groups at 100 yards. Someone who does better with recoil than me could probably do even better. The trigger was just fine, as I think all H&R guns have nice trigger pulls.

The 20 gauge was pleasant, and I killed two does with it from 60 yards and 45 yards. They both dropped in their tracks.

I actually gave the 12 gauge away before ever hunting with it, scope and all. Just a beast of a gun! :twisted:

Tommy

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I've got a NEF Pardner Tracker II that is the most accurate slug gun I have ever seen. It came with a high comb stock and a scope mount. I couldn't have asked for a better shooting shotgun. After a couple years I wanted a shorter gun for the area I hunt because the brush is so thick and the area so hilly. I shortend the barrel to 20in. and put on a set of T/C muzzleloader sights. I also removed the high comb and added a Limbsaver pad. Now it is the perfect gun for my area. HYDE

·
Registered
10 Posts
I absolutely love my 12ga Ultra slugger!!
Mine will not shoot Federal barns expanders...they tumble but it LOVES Remington copper solids and Ultra corlokts!!
The day I bought it, I scoped it with a cheap scope...its a cheap gun right...three of us went to the range. Three of us shot it, all into the same target. When we went down to check there was ONE HOLE and it was about 2" in diameter !!

I now have a Leupold 1X4X20 VXII shotgun scope on it and it reliably puts three copper solids into one hole at 100 yrds. The bonus is that the premium Remingtons shoot about 2" high but perfectly centered, so I am confident with really long ranges!! I have shot it at 200 yrds and can easily keep all slugs on a soft ball.

Last season we tried the Buckhammers, while not as accurate (aroung 2-3") they shoot to the same point of aim and really are aptly named!!!

CW

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I have owned 2 H&R slug guns, both 12 ga. I tried other ones (Ithaca etc) but none were as accurate as the H&Rs.
I never did own a slug gun with rifled barrel so I cannot comment on those.
My area has just gone from shotgun only to centerfire rifle just this year...so I'll be toting a Marlin #336 in 30-30 now....

·
Registered
53 Posts
These guns are great!!! I have a smoothbore 24" with modified choke tube installed. I have had my gunsmith mount a H&R scope rail on it and put a Red Dot on it. I can put Brenneke-Rottwiel MP 2 3/4" slugs into a ragged cloverleaf at 50 yards!!! And I hear the rifled heavy barrelled Ultra Sluggers are better!!! That's great but I have what I need and for cheap with the slugs at about $4.00 a box instead of expensive sabots!!! Can't beat these fine little guns!!!....<><.... :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
The 20 ga. is a tack driver and the recoil isn't bad, but the 12 ga. it's a tack driver and a shoulder dislocator! :shock:
tommy

G

·
My 12 gauge Ultra Slug is very accurate, but it sure does let you know when you touch one off!! The trigger pull out of the box was lousy, but I had a gunsmith smooth it up a bit and now it's not too bad.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My rifled tracker 2 kicks hard with all slugs, but the pad on it keeps it from huring to bad. I have never shot one at 100 yds before, but most of my shooting is offhand up to 50 yds. The trigger is creepless, and i make nice tight 30 yard groups with it, but it all depends on the shooter 8) . Good deer gun.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
Limbsaver makes a prefit pad for the 988 slug gun, great pad, makes a big difference in felt recoil of the heavy hitters, much better than the Decelarator IMO. The small grind to fit works on all the rest of the NEF/H&R stocks. The 10003 and 10601 prefits also work, but don't fit perfect. A little Slick Eez pad treatment to make em not sticky and they're good to go!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
GLC;

If you do get a slug gun from NEF, try the sabots..but try the foster slugs too.
All the H & R and NEF slug guns seem to be accurate..but some (even rifled ones) seem to like conventional slugs better than the sabots..

If yours does, it can save you some $$$.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts