Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some 30-30 cases at the LGS this weekend. They were pretty clean, but I tumbled them anyway. When I was inspecting them, I came across a few 32 Win Special cases. I looked them up online and found out that they are 30-30 cases, but the neck was opened up a bit further to accept the different bullet. Other than that, the measurements are the exact same.

So here's my question, if I ran them through a 30-30 resizing die could I use them for my 30-30 rounds? I haven't had a chance to try this and measure the neck afterwards to see if it brings it back down. Just thought maybe someone else could shed some light on this for me.

For a little background on me, I've reloaded .45ACP for years, and just recently started with .38SPL, 9mm and 30-30.

Thanks for any and all help.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
If they are actual 32 special cases I would trade them for actual 30-30 cases.
32 specials are not exactly as common as the 30-30.
How many do you have?

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
The answer to your question is "yes". They will be the same. You may have to trim to length, but that is also true of 30-30 brass that has been fired a few times. Just how it is.

As far as coaching, MBW offered sound counsel. As long as you don't have a 32Wspl, you'll get along OK. As long as no one else uses your ammo, you'll get along OK. BUT, if one of your pals picks up that brass and reads "32WSPL", there is nothing to prevent them from putting it in their 32WSPL. It's not going to blow up the rifle, but it also won't be accurate as that .308 bullet rattles down the .321 barrel. The brass will expand to fit the chamber, the neck may or may not split. IF none of these scenarios can exist, you will be fine. BUT, the rest is simply safety. May be over-cautious, but this stuff justifies being as cautious as we can be.

Good luck!

Jeff

Reactions: dhansen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. When I said I got them at the LGS I meant show, not store, sorry. Not sure the guy will be at the next show or not. There was only like a half dozen out of 200.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Necking cases up or down to create another cartridge has been done since self contained brass cases have been invented. There is a caveat to that process, however simple it may sound.

When running a case into a sizer die to make a larger bulleted cartridge, the case neck gets thinner to accept the larger bullet. However, when resizing a case to accept a smaller diameter bullet the neck gets thicker, sometimes much thicker. For example, when making .243 Win cases out of .308 Win cases the neck will sometimes get sufficiently thick that when chambering the round, things will fit so tightly that the bullet is not released due to the thicker neck, causing pressures to sky rocket and there have been instances where rifles have been blown up.

Always use a good reloading book and look at the measurement on the cartridge drawing at the case mouth. That is the measurement with bullet seated. If after seating a bullet the measurement exceeds the listed maximum, stop right there and learn how to outside neck turn your remaining unloaded brass or inside neck ream. I use the inside neck ream method because it easier for me and outside neck turning helps the benchrest crowd achieve more consistent neck tension to improve accuracy. My hunting loads don't require that amount of detail.

Don't be overly frightened about resizing cases to a different cartridge, just use common sense and due caution, but do measure your neck after seating a bullet.

The neck measurement with bullet seated in the 30-30 is .331" and for the 32 Winchester Special it is .344".

358 Win

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
see city slicker and i think alike, i would never let a good excuse like that go by. i would just have to have a 32 special to go with the brass. i have 32 brass i use in mine and i also use 30-30 in it.

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
358 Win is always good counsel. Nice job, Bob!

IF I could add anything, it comes from my long history of "I don't care what size it measures, does it fit?" attitude. Probably stemming from growing up with worn out mil-surp rifles and none of the numbers ever worked. We simply had to learn to make them fit. The numbers work only when the gun is milled correctly. If the cutters are worn, the chambers numbers get tweaked and all bets are off if trying to match a drawing. When you seat you bullet in its newly formed case, if it is too big (requiring neck reaming) it simply will not chamber, regardless of what the numbers indicate. Either way will likely get you where you need to go.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Jeff, you are correct as usual. However, whenever I talk of measurements it always revolves around SAAMI dimensions and specifications. I always prefer to err on the side of caution when squeezing a trigger on a firearm I'm holding a scant few inches from my handsome face!!:biggrin:

Bob

Reactions: Sweetwater

·
Super Moderator
6,347 Posts
Handsome is as handsome does! 358 Win - You are ever always correct - I don't think my early rifles were built to any SAAMI drawing, just ordered by some dictator and whacked out by a bunch of school kids - LOL - LOOSE FIT was verbiage invented to describe what I had to learn to deal with. IF I had only been raised on guns made in America, then maybe I'd have a different view of things....

Jeff

Reactions: 358 Win
1 - 10 of 10 Posts