Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was casting a few boolits and in walks my brother in law.... He askes is 300.00 for a Marlin 30-30 (old one) a good price. I told him YES. His best friend knows an old guy that says he doesnt need his guns any more (the guy is 90 something) He then tells me that he figured is was high because Marlin is a low end rifle and that the 30-30 is only good for target shooting :y: I asked him what he meant and he said well its not a 30.06 so its not a good deer round :hmmmm:

I proceed to tell him that he has no idea what he is talking about, that the 30-30 has probably taken more deer than any other caliber. He says yeah but that was way back when and now you need a 30.06 :banghead: Now here is the stupid part!!!! I convince him that he is wrong and that his friend would be stupid to pass up that 30-30 and not have it as a hunting rifle!!!

WHY DID I DO THAT? :hmmmm: I could have said yeah its just a plinking rifle and I will buy it instead.... but noooo I have to tell the morons that its a good deal.....

Oh, this is the same brother in law that wants to get a 338 Lapua so he can "Hunt" deer at 1000 yards..... I have never seen him shoot a rifle since I have known him.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
26,091 Posts
Doc--when he does decide to shoot his Marlin--remember to stand BEHIND him. :biggrin:

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Doc, you using a respirator when your meltin that Lead:questionmark:

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Yeah Doc, you missed the boat there on that one, you explained to him how good a 30-30 is, and his friend did not buy it anyway, oh well, hind sight is always 20-20. :shot:

·
Administrator
30,589 Posts
I'm in total dismay... I always thought Doc Holiday was quick on the draw.

Evidently, that was a slow draw Doc. :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well Jack, I think IMR got it right.... The lead fumes got to me, Thats my story and Im sticking with it!!!

My brother in law and his friend dont shoot, hunt, reload or even talk about guns until some new wizbang magnum comes out and then they sit around and talk about it like they know what they are talking about... Like they are experts on not only rifles, shoot, hunting but with that new rifle as well (even though it may have just hit the market) He irritates me like no other...

Him and my sister are the ones who own property in Idaho and Alaska (he has always been a pampered brat) so my sister made plans that if there ever was a SHTF event our entire family would go to one of those properties because they have water, game animals, land to grow stuff, etc.. but I dont think I could go with them because the BIL is one of those people that would say "Its my property so you have to do as I say" and my sister would frown on my knifing her hubby.

Oh well, I have alway been the type to tell the truth to people even though I know if I lied I could get a sweet deal... I just dont think it is worth it in the end.

Doc

·
Super Moderator
6,355 Posts
Hey Doc, Northern Idaho is a lot like Northern Maine - you'd love it! There's enough of it that you could be absent from the BIL for long periods of time to help you through the rough times in the company of....just sayin' sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Your lesson in Marlins shows your true character - good show!

Jeff

·
Administrator
30,589 Posts
Hey, it's your story and you're entitled to stick to it.

Your BIL sounds exactly like one of mine who hasn't a clue past gun rags and has zero experience but is very fond of arguing gun rag rhetoric to actual hands on experience. As far as knowing any finer nuances of being able to take care of yourself in a collapse scenario past factory ammo, being able to shoot and actually hit something important, let alone able to actually hunt successfully, he'd starve to death. His understanding of the basics are non-exsistant yet he believes reciting gun rag hype makes him the expert.

Needless to say I have zero use for the man but it appears my sister thinks he's great. Oh well, to each their own but trust he will not be welcome to our homestead if the worst happens because this guy puts a whole new definition to a lazy good for nothing metro male. I mean, he even gets manicures since my sister owns a beauty salon. Which, makes him repulsive in my mind.

Jack

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Yeah Doc, I think yous to close to the pot there, them there fumes was a messin with your head. Oh well Like they say "what goes around comes around." So somethin good is coming your way.

·
Premium Member
13,992 Posts
Him and my sister are the ones who own property in Idaho and Alaska (he has always been a pampered brat) so my sister made plans that if there ever was a SHTF event our entire family would go to one of those properties because they have water, game animals, land to grow stuff, etc.. but I dont think I could go with them because the BIL is one of those people that would say "Its my property so you have to do as I say" and my sister would frown on my knifing her hubby.
Why?

·
Registered
417 Posts
There's a bunch of "stupid" there. I have a 30-06 pump carbine that shoots 160 FTX bullets at 2,560 fps. I have a 30-30 XLR 24" bbl that shoots the same 160 FTX bullet at 2,420 fps. That's so close it's not very relevant to performance. They can be essentially the same thing.

These people you speak of are not hunters. They are not shooters. They are not informed and experienced about what's involved in killing game animals. It is stupid to talk logic with the illogical. Use it to your advantage and get the gun for yourself.

Reactions: msharley
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.