Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an absolute bare-bones reloading setup (lee loader -- the one you need a mallet with) and have been using AA #9 (use the w/158gr lead bullets and the 0.7 dipper that comes with the kit to measure powder). According to the info with the kit, that should throw 10.7 grains of AA#9. Anyway -- I've shot about 50-100 of these rounds, and they seem good -- very accurate in my 1894c without any obvious pressure-related problems. Does this seem like a reasonable load, or would I be better served (target, plinking and perhaps some hog-hunting) with a different load? I don't feel like devoting a lot of space to reloading, so I'd like to "KISS"!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you really need a scale so you know just what charge your loading. That being said, both of my 1894c's like 11.7 gr. of AA#9 under a 158gr lswc. I use the micrometer powder bar set at .78cc to get 11.7gr of #9.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I'm also a fan of AA#9. I use 13.5 gr under a Dardas cast 158 gr RNFP non gas check sized to .358, ignited with a CCI 500 primer. No leading at all in my 1894 or my Taurus Model 65. Unfortunately I haven't chrony'd it so I have no idea on velocity. If anyone has a clue please tell me.
GH1 :)

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
I like it too, but avoid using a magnum pistol primer. Sends the pressure too high and isn't needed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found Accurate Arms #9 was better in my .357 than Winchester 296 . I wanted to be able to use it in both carbine and revolver and it does the job very well . I haven't tried it on the lighter bullets like you have so I don't know how that works but the heavyies work fine .

Even simple can have a powder scale , at least with a scale you can make scoops for powder charges that work better ( if there is a better ) .

Jack

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you want to speed things up a little, not take up much space get a Lee Auto-Disk Powder measure. They're cheap, they dump the powder and flare the case mouth it one stroke.

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
161 said:
If you want to speed things up a little, not take up much space get a Lee Auto-Dick Powder measure. They're cheap, they dump the powder and flare the case mouth it one stroke.
;D What kind of powder measure??

bjm

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Dr. A said:
I like it too, but avoid using a magnum pistol primer. Sends the pressure too high and isn't needed.
Yeah, that's important to remember, especially when many reloading charts will say to use a magnum primer. A mag primer just isn't needed with #9.
Also, AA#9 likes heavier bullets, 158 minimum. Don't try to use it on 125 or 110, you probably won't have complete burning and your loads wll be all over the place in terms of velocity and I imagine, group size.
GH1 :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I have never tried it in the 357 ...yet that is...its a great powder in both my 41mag and 44mag...so I'm sure its gangbusters in the smaller gun....another one I have come to love is Ramshot Enforcer...especially in the 41mag with 210 jacketed and heavier cast...shoots super in both my Redhawk and 1894fg ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts