Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I recently came into a box of Sierra 300 GR .45-70 HP (#8900) that I'd like to load for my 1895G. I only have (and can find) AA 1680 powder at the moment and I can't find any load data beyond the Barnes specs. I spoke to a Sierra tech and he was stumped. He was surprised they had no data on this powder even though they had data on even faster burning powders. I'm not comfortable just transferring the load data from the Barnes to Sierras without a little more guidance. I'm not looking to blow doors down with these loads--something in mid-range velocities would be great. I also have some lead-cast 300 GR from TopBrass-Inc.com that I'd like to load with this powder if possible--at least until I can find some of the more commonly used powders. New to the community and reloading so any advice is appreciated! Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,248 Posts
You might be S.O.L. on using AA1680 in 45/70. I went threw my collection of books and found nothing. I did find hornady used it in the 450 Marlin. That was at a higher preasure that 45/70 loads and that leads me to believe that AA1680 wouldn't be siutable for the 45/70. Good Luck!

Reactions: AF

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Thearborbarber, I think you may be right! I appreciate you giving it a look. Barnes recommends AA 1680 for .45-70 (1895, 24" barrel) for their 250 GR and 300 GR TSX FN bullets. For the 300 GR, they recommend a 47-grain minimum charge for 2230 FPS and a 50-grain maximum for 2314 FPS. That's with a load density of 92%. But that's the only load data I've found out there. Thanks again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I ran AA1680 with 300gr Sierra using Quickload. I used a 18.5" barrel and got 46 grains at 1872 f.ps. for a maximum load. I'm not saying to use this, I'm just saying this is what the program spit out. Quickload didn't specify the brand of brass but did provide maximum case capacity and useable case capacity of water (see pic 2).

untitled.JPG
untitled2.JPG

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, this is fantastic! I hadn't heard of that software before. Have you trusted it to other loads in .45/70? Appreciate you running the numbers.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't used it a lot. I have checked it against some of my proven loads in various calibers and the velocities it predicts are very close.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I haven't used it a lot. I have checked it against some of my proven loads in various calibers and the velocities it predicts are very close.

I use it and have grown to trust it. I've learned over time what measurements can be important, and If I give it good input, I get a good prediction.

Typical results have been 7 to 15 fps between prediction and actual results if the program was given good information.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Vic in Va, the added confidence goes a long way!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts