Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see in the American Rifleman this month how the Marlin factory rep's shot on the deer going away was described? That NRA Senior Editor sure has class! Wonder if the writer is going to the NRA convention in Houston?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Good story on the Marlin Levers.. and also of a simple mistake that could have cost him to come home empty handed.. ( the Scope)

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was good to see the Marlin get some press but I think they wasted an opportunity. Instead of the 30-30 they should have sent a 336 in .35 Rem equiped with a ghost ring site.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd be embarassed to admit that I went on a hunt with a scope I didn't test and irons that I didn't check first. Also, the guy should not have shot if he couldn't see the deer clearly. Not a very ethical way to hunt, hoping that you'll be lucky to hit the deer with a fogged scope. He should have just let it go, sighted in his irons and returned to the hunt later when better prepared.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
I think part of his point was that he was rushed and did something stupid, and wrote about it as a warning to others. Admitting you're a doofus to your friends is one thing, writing about it where it's read by millions takes some guts. A little humility goes a long way, he earned his! I can respect that, having made a few blunders of my own. :oops: And no, I'm not about to go into details, I don't need that kind of humility!

PJ

·
Registered
159 Posts
I didn't like it much either. The article wasn't really about the 336, or even the proper way to sight in a rifle. What was it about anyway? Hunting in Canada? I remember when AR used to have in depth, technical and historical articles.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Agree the article wasn't that well written, and it surely did nothing to enhance the reputation of the .30-30. He got a chest hit on the first deer and the bullet didn't "penetrate the thoracic cavity". What's up with that?

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I did not like the article. It seemed like a how to of how not to go on a hunt. I was surprised reading it. The guy comes out looking like a idiot. He's the senior writer? Hope he not training the junior writers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts