Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Turning out to be a very good week......work was hard, but tomorrow I get to go to the gunshow and look at guns all day......perfect way to spend a Saturday. And IT finally came rolling up in the mail......I've been waiting almost 2 weeks.

A early Remington-Hepburn in 45.2-7/8 Sharps. 30", #4 weight barrel and best thing of all is a mint bore. Absolutely not a speck of pitting and the rifling is sharp. And this was a working gun, so thanks to those that took such good care for the last 120 years. Serial # 59XX and has the metal tip on the forend that came on the early guns. Haven't weighed it yet, but it's got to weigh between 13 and 14 pounds. You know you've picked up a gun. First Hepburn I've had the pleasure to pick up and between this one and mm93's beauty, I'm sold. No, I'm not going to sell my Ballards and buy Hepburns. :D

45-110-550, have a feeling this one is going to hurt when I squeeze it off. I think I'm starting to like the pain. :shock:

max

·
Registered
719 Posts
MY PER~CIUOS.........

:shock:
BEAUTIFUL!
i wonder why the arms manufacturers won't step back in time and remake the vintage stuff like this? :x
i see winne is making the 26" oct barrel 38-55 lever again......THAT'S a nice rifle....and Marlin has dabbled in theirs.......i guess we will see it slow down as this contry slowing goes "kalifornia" on us~~~~ :?
'

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
So that is the surprise you had waiting in the wings! Very, very nice Max, and in a very uncommon caliber for a Hepburn! At least it's got a buttplate that will not be quite as tough on the shoulder as some others, with shapr crescent styles! looks much like the same configuration as my #1 Sporter, as the barrel, forearm and buttplate are the same. Of course the #1's aren't in the same category as a Hepburn!
For a working gun, it's been well cared for, and you're lucky to get such a beautiful bore! All original even down to the sights too! How's the trigger on it? That's exactly what I would have liked to have owned, if I hadn't gone the rout I did! Let us know how she shoots!
The Hepburn has lines that people either love, or hate. Seems they appeal to a lot of folks though! Congratulations on a really great find!
Kaintuck,
There are a couple of companies building Hepburn replicas, but like all the other US made replicas, they aren't cheap! Do a search for DZ Arms in Oklahoma. They build a beautiful Hepburn, with prices to match!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Sweet!! :D Now to get a couple pounds of coarse charcoal & work up some loads. Heck, this is all the reason you need to book a buffalo hunt! SW

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hogger.....funny you should mention buffalo hunt.....I just finished reading a book entitled "The Encyclopedia of Buffalo Hunters and Skinners, Vol. 1, A-D". If you enjoy the history of that period this is a good one. No agenda, no political correctness, just a good history book. The authors collected every scrap of information on the great buffalo hunt they could find and published it. Diaries, interviews, period newspaper clippings, store ledgers, freight records, you name it. Good pictures of the old heavy barrelled Sharps and other gear. Almost hated to finish it and can't wait for the next volume. I believe you are a "Republican herd" resident. :lol:

mm93.....once I saw the 45.2-7/8", I was doomed. I've been reading too much about buffalo hunting lately (see above) and this one was a magnet. Not likely I'll ever be able to buy a heavy barrel Sharps 1874 buffalo rifle or a good Montana 5-1/2 without selling my soul, so this was a good substitute. Cases and all the gear came from Buffalo Arms....the cases are even headstamped 2-7/8. I already have an old Ideal 550 grain paper patch mold, so set there. The trigger is very nice, the hammer is HEAVY. By the way, did you ever get dies for your 44-77 (I like that cartridge)? I saw a set for sale.

kaintuck.....They are making a reproduction of almost anything you can think of......as mm93 said, it's only $$$$$. In a lot of cases, they're more expensive than the originals. :shock: :shock:

Loaded up a couple last night using a Ideal #3 tool in 45-90 and an old Ideal single adjustable die that I scrounged from a junk box at a gunshow ($.50). The die is marked "45 S" and underneath that, "BER". I believe the "BER" stands for Berdan and of course the Sharps cases were Berdan primed. The die fits the 45-90 handles perfectly. Right now they are loaded with 100 grains Fg because that's the maximum charge my Belding & Mull charge tube will handle. No drop tube on these, so 110 grains will fit when drop tubed. Gotta dig out one of the old Ideal powder measures that will handle 110 grains. They are a bit intimidating when you think about firing one. :lol:

The middle cartridge is a 45-70 with a 405 grain bullet cast from the mold in a Marlin 1881 loading tool. Wide metplat. At the bottom is the 550 grain patched bullet.

max

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
:shock: :shock: Oh, that's gonna leave a mark!

A guy I went to HS with has buffalo & when a bull gets too old & obnoxious, he advertises for someone to come shoot it. - Usually in the 1500 dollar range. He told me some guys showed up once in buckskins & had their horses in a big trailer. Seems they wanted to chase the buff & pop it with some wadded up tin foil in their (expensive) BP rifles like the Indians used to. They seemed to have overlooked that's what the Indians did for a living and actually had a mostly viable plan for such stunts.

Knowing how snorty an old buff can get, he didn't let them try that. He said he could just see the bull giving the whole bunch the 'tossed salad' treatment. :shock:

Man, that is one sweeet rifle! :D SW

·
Registered
719 Posts
paper patches.........

tell me what you do to get those paperpatches to work!.......Bob and i have tried almost everything.......still get lowsey groups~ we have a trapdoor and a browning high wall......along with 3 H&R toppers. laoded different powders, used diff papers.....finally gave up and use barrys' bullets..... :cry: or just plain lead.....
but the PP mold costed $$$ and wish we knew the 'secret'......maybe i need to scacrifice a goat or cat or somethinga nd say majical words over the cartridges!!!!!! :p
or maybe SHE can bless them.........

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Max,
Still looking for those .44 SBN dies! I'm using my Lyman M die to expand the neck, and hand seating bullets. Found a .445-290 hollowbase mold recently, and spent this morning casting, and lubing about 100 bullets.
If those dies are still available, let me know! Buffalo Arms wants $140 for their set, plus a shellholder, so I sure would like to find a set a teeny bit cheaper.
By the way, a friend of mine is negotiating on a 5 1/2, along with some other Ballards right now. Can't wait to see one up close, and hold it in my hot little hands! He's not selling it, but at least I'll be able to say I held one!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hogger...I think your friend was right.....several tales in the book (mentioned above) about hunters who made a mistake with a buffalo bull and someone else found and buried their "tossed salad" on the plains. Several other stories about those that just missed being "tossed salad".

kaintuck....don't know if I have the secret of patched bullets, but here is what I do with blackpowder. Because there is no lube with patched bullets to soften the fouling, I clean after each shot with a wet patch. Works good for me. Should not have to do this with smokeless powder. There is a book out called "The Paper Jacket" by Paul Matthews that is an excellent reference for shooting patched bullets. He likes smokeless.

mm93.....dies are in the latest issue of Single Shot Exchange.....he wants $80. Out of BC, Canada....(604) 796-8811, after 6 P.M. PST.

Took the "Beast" to the range today. It's definitely not a go to the range and go plinking rifle. Hurts too much. Could only manage 15 shots, even with a PAST Magnum recoil pad, before I folded. And I will be sore tomorrow. But it turned out to be fairly accurate, especially with me using open barrel sights.

1st two targets are at 50 yards, last one is at 100 yards. Guess it would get me an elk or buffalo.

max

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Thanks Max! I cast up about 100 hollowbase 290 grainers Sunday. I also spoke with a friend who asked me why I didn't just buy cheap .43 Mauser dies, and relaod the .44-77 with them? According to him, the Mauser dies will work fine, if adjusted up to proper shoulder height on the .44 SBN. He said he used to use them on a Sharps he had, and they did a great job of just neck sizing, without full length resizing.
I checked Cartridges of the World, and the .43 Mauser has the same neck and base diameters, with a shorter overall length, and a straighter wall, and larger at the shoulder. Looks like he may be right. I'm going to borrow a set from another friend, and see if it works. If it does the .43 Mauser dies are $23 through Track of the Wolf, vs. the very spendy .44 SBN dies!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts