Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A month ago I was wandering around GB and saw a Saddle Ring Texan in 30-30 that didn't sell. The problems were obvious in the pictures. I paid $475 shipped with scope after the auction closed. A little love, sweat, and tears brought her back. Another $15 to my LDS/FFL. It was worth it. The Tasco 3-9X33 had to go. Too heavy looking. The bullseye and rear swivel were missing and the gold trigger was no longer gold. The barrel had rust and significant wear. She did come with a Leupold scope mount. Here she is before:

IMG_9021.JPG IMG_9022.JPG IMG_9004.JPG IMG_9008.JPG IMG_9014.JPG

The After comes next post :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Gotta love stories like this...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A Texan Restored to Glory - Part 2

So after disassembly, the trigger went to the jeweler for new gold plating. A new Leupold 4X was added (clean, simple lines) and I reblued the barrel (Art's Belgian Blue). The wood got refinished with Formby's Tung Oil and Orange oil applied. Here she is after:

IMG_9076.JPG IMG_9072.JPG IMG_9073.JPG IMG_9077.JPG IMG_9079.JPG

I found the original Marlin sling on Ebay for $20, including swivels (those got sold back on Ebay).

I've never had a 30-30 or any centerfire rifle before and have yet to fire this baby. Need to fix that fast! :biggrin:

·
Registered
17,067 Posts
Great project. They say restored guns are worth less because they're not in factory condition,they've been altered. But restored cars are worth as much(or more than in some cases) as an original condition unit. I never did understand the reasoning.
Can't wait to see the finished pics.

Rob

Reactions: OLSKOOL

·
Administrator
23,796 Posts
I like this and I also merged your two threads into one.

Very good, adopt an orphan then treat it like royalty.

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey Blackbarry,

Swell looking rifle!

You did a fine "restoration"!

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
That is really well done sir! John

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I think you did a fantastic job on your rifle.:congrats:
Could you give me more info on the bluing you used?
Is it a cold blue?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Nice restoration man!! Let us know how she shoots!!!

·
Registered
735 Posts
The rifle looks just great.
I have a Glenfield 30 coming home soon that may need the same treatments. I have now seen Belgian Blue mentioned twice on this forum and am interested in knowing more about how much trouble it is to do. It looks like it does a really nice bluing job.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Blackbarry, you done that Texan proud! Very nice restoration, and I'd say you increased the value of it.:congrats:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I think you did a fantastic job on your rifle.:congrats:
Could you give me more info on the bluing you used?
Is it a cold blue?
The bluing comes from Midway. It cost $59 shipped to me for 1 quart of Art's Belgian Blue. After preparing the barrel (rust removal, blue removal + total degrease) you boil the barrel for 2 min prior to application of the bluing solution. I don't know if that qualifies as "hot" or "cold" bluing since I did it in my kitchen ("Thank you honey!"). Midway has a YouTube video on the product and how it's done. I was impressed. It seemed to give me a blue job as close to factory without sending the barrel off. I've done 2 barrels with it and probably have enough left over to do 2 more. Both came out outstanding. The process is boil the barrel (2 min), apply solution, re-boil the barrel (2 min), 0000 steel wool to remove the pea green slurry, boil the barrel (2 min), re-apply solution, boil the barrel (2 min)..... yada, yada, yada. You go thru 6-8 applications of solution on a cotton ball. The secret is that when you go to remove the pea green slurry, you must use significant force with the steel wool to get it off. The steel wool feels very sticky on the barrel at first. But when the slurry is removed the steel wool slides on the barrel real smoothly.

So, does the boiling of the barrel qualify as a "hot" blue???? :hmmmm:

Reactions: bnparts

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
You did an amazing job with it!!! Looks awesome!!!!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Blackbarry,

Just an awesome job. :congrats: from the before and after pictures it appears your also re-blued the receiver along with the barrel. I have a 336-A in need of touch up blueing for about 4 inches down form the end of the barrel. How is the Belgian blue for touch up work?

Chocdog

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Before anyone points it out.... I was looking at my posted pictures and noticed the left side floor plate screw was missing. Found it hidden on the work bench. There is harmony in the Universe once again.:shot:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts