Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had A nice long ride today out by lake Okeechobee. About 200 miles total. Had to make A pit stop on A little used section of road. I did the unthinkable. Foot slipped on loose gravel and I let the bike go down but gently without A scratch. I could not get it back up. Two guys on Harleys rode by with me waving for help standing by my downed Harley. They waved back politely. The first slowed for A better look, the second just cruised.
Luckily A couple minutes later A family out fishing stopped to help. The thanks is for the family. My thoughts on the guys riding motorcycles would get me banned.
You notice I did not refer to them as Bikers!

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I'm not a real biker either, but I rode one as my only form of transportation for about 10 years around Dallas. The conclusion that I came to was that if someone looked like they could afford their Harley, they probably didn't deserve to be called a biker. Posers!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Can't ride by a brother in need. EVER. What size Harley do you ride? When I had my Electraglide I dumped it once, forgot the kickstand. Been riding 45 years and still make a FUBAR like that, anyway with no one to help me I was able to stand with my back to her and lifting with my legs I rolled her upright. I'm 6' 2" and 200 so that might have something to do with it but it may work for you.
On a different note, I once threw my wife out of an airplane at Okeechobee.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was out doing some yard work and a fellow rode up to the intersection by my driveway and his Honda Goldwing fell over when he stopped.I figured he could not pick it back up by himself so I walked over to give him a hand.As I got to him a fellow driving by stopped and we got the motorcycle back up and luckely there was no damage except maybe to the guys pride.He said he only had the bike for about a week and was not used to it yet.He got back on it and rode away with no problem.I'm sure it was imbarrasing to him.I know it would have been to me.
It is hard to belive that somebody could just drive by and leave someone in that kind of predicament.It should be against the law and it may well be, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jack. You sure got the embarrassment part right! I am not new at this.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Can't ride by a brother in need. EVER. What size Harley do you ride? When I had my Electraglide I dumped it once, forgot the kickstand. Been riding 45 years and still make a FUBAR like that, anyway with no one to help me I was able to stand with my back to her and lifting with my legs I rolled her upright. I'm 6' 2" and 200 so that might have something to do with it but it may work for you.
On a different note, I once threw my wife out of an airplane at Okeechobee.
That brought back some embarrassment. Done it and couldn't believe myself. "Are you fricking kidding me", I says as I look around to see if anybody is watching. Really start to question myself with something like that happens. And I've got to back into it too. Butt against the tank and a hand on the row bar and one on the handlebars with it cranked towards me. Only way I can do it.

Jeeze, that Road King can throw you six feet to the side when it goes over like that. Once I was talking to my father-in-law in our neighborhood. He was coming in and I was going out. Turned around and was parked along side to chat. When I saw a car coming from behind I edged up and turned to park in front of my fiL’s car. What was he thinking I don't know - but as I turned in front of his front bumper he decides to goose it and hits my rear bag, almost my leg. I almost got ran over sprawling out in the street by the car I was trying NOT to inconvenience. I don't know if I'm a biker per se but I know I didn't look like one right then.

On the guys driving by -- I wonder. People are so scared. When I moved to Oklahoma back in 78 they were trying a fellah in court. He and his wife had faked car problems and when a passer-by stopped to help she and the cull of hers killed a mother and father and would have got away scott-free but for a little boy hiding under a blanket who got to watch his folks get killed by a couple stains.

If you keep a gun on you - you don't have to let fear be your guide.

Ride Safe!

·
Registered
97 Posts
That brought back some embarrassment. Done it and couldn't believe myself. "Are you fricking kidding me", I says as I look around to see if anybody is watching. Really start to question myself with something like that happens. And I've got to back into it too. Butt against the tank and a hand on the row bar and one on the handlebars with it cranked towards me. Only way I can do it.

Jeeze, that Road King can throw you six feet to the side when it goes over like that. Once I was talking to my father-in-law in our neighborhood. He was coming in and I was going out. Turned around and was parked along side to chat. When I saw a car coming from behind I edged up and turned to park in front of my fiL’s car. What was he thinking I don't know - but as I turned in front of his front bumper he decides to goose it and hits my rear bag, almost my leg. I almost got ran over sprawling out in the street by the car I was trying NOT to inconvenience. I don't know if I'm a biker per se but I know I didn't look like one right then.

On the guys driving by -- I wonder. People are so scared. When I moved to Oklahoma back in 78 they were trying a fellah in court. He and his wife had faked car problems and when a passer-by stopped to help she and the cull of hers killed a mother and father and would have got away scott-free but for a little boy hiding under a blanket who got to watch his folks get killed by a couple stains.

If you keep a gun on you - you don't have to let fear be your guide.

Ride Safe!
I know what you mean, about feeling like a rube and about the chances you take in helping others. Maybe it's an Alaska thing and maybe since I do carry a 1911 and I'm not exactly small, I feel I'm a match for whatever I might encounter, but whatever the reason, I'll take the chance and stop and help. Maybe by doing so it makes the world just that much better. When someone goes missing up here, at sea, plane, or a hiker, everyone drops what they're doing and if they can they help. Even if you don't like the person you're looking for.
A few years ago there was an AH suing us for overtime he never worked and while the case was still going on, he crashed his beaver near where we were and we flew out with the parts he needed to get his plane off the river. That's just what you do when you live in the bush of Alaska. I don't expect everyone to understand that or agree but it really is what you do up here.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Same happens in the bush here in Oz. If some one's stopped on the side of the road, you stop and make sure they're OK.
Used to be the same with bikers but not so much these days and I put that down to the fact that every man and his dog has a mobile (cell) phone and can call for help if needed.
Shame, cause I've met some good people by just stopping to ask if they are OK.

Hey Dan, there's a clip on Utube on how anyone can pick up a full-dresser Harley with the right technique.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Super Moderator
13,464 Posts
A couple weeks ago I was out doing some yard work and a fellow rode up to the intersection by my driveway and his Honda Goldwing fell over when he stopped.I figured he could not pick it back up by himself so I walked over to give him a hand.As I got to him a fellow driving by stopped and we got the motorcycle back up and luckely there was no damage except maybe to the guys pride.He said he only had the bike for about a week and was not used to it yet.He got back on it and rode away with no problem.I'm sure it was imbarrasing to him.I know it would have been to me.
It is hard to belive that somebody could just drive by and leave someone in that kind of predicament.It should be against the law and it may well be, I don't know.
In Texas it's called failure to stop and render aid.

·
Premium Member
12,142 Posts
I haven't seen that you-tube video, but I was shown how to lift even a heavy touring bike back upright, by a rather modest size 50-something woman! My only problem doing it is that I was a tad over-enthusiastic about lifting the bike, and managed to toss it down on the other side, and knock myself down at the same time. Luckily it was my own bike that I was practicing on and on the lawn, so no real harm, except my pride. She was laughing hard at the ol' Jarhead tossing himself and his bike over. Sheesh...

Can't say why those two riders didn't at least stop to check on you. Isn't that what the whole "wave" thing is about? Sort of a "I see you, and I'll help you out if you're in a jam on the road" kind of a thing.

You guys know I tend to ride smaller, sportier bikes than a Harley, and normally I wear a bright red nylon riding jacket instead of traditional heavy leather. I don't exactly look like a "biker" when I'm on the road. Saw a Harley on the side of the road. Rear tire was flat. Rider was standing there in full leathers, looking rather hopeless. I slowed, stopped got off the Suzuki and offered help. We decided to ride double on my bike, a few miles to a gas station where he could get a tow for the bike, and hopefully the tire & tube patched up. It was with considerable reluctance that the guy decided to hop on the back of my bike and accept the ride. We must have looked like the Really Odd Couple heading down the highway together! Got his bike back on the road and parted ways. It's just what you do as a rider.

Now if I had my family in the car with me, or sensed some sort of trouble, I would deliberately avoid stopping. Might just call in that there was a stranded biker somewhere, but I'm not risking my family for a stranger on the side of the road.

Guy

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Saw a Harley on the side of the road. Rear tire was flat. Rider was standing there in full leathers, looking rather hopeless. I slowed, stopped got off the Suzuki and offered help. We decided to ride double on my bike, a few miles to a gas station where he could get a tow for the bike, and hopefully the tire & tube patched up. It was with considerable reluctance that the guy decided to hop on the back of my bike and accept the ride. We must have looked like the Really Odd Couple heading down the highway together

Ha ha ha,now that there is funny.
Makes me think of that movie "Wild Hogs" L0L

·
Premium Member
7,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I haven't seen that you-tube video, but I was shown how to lift even a heavy touring bike back upright, by a rather modest size 50-something woman! My only problem doing it is that I was a tad over-enthusiastic about lifting the bike, and managed to toss it down on the other side, and knock myself down at the same time. Luckily it was my own bike that I was practicing on and on the lawn, so no real harm, except my pride. She was laughing hard at the ol' Jarhead tossing himself and his bike over. Sheesh...

Now if I had my family in the car with me, or sensed some sort of trouble, I would deliberately avoid stopping. Might just call in that there was a stranded biker somewhere, but I'm not risking my family for a stranger on the side of the road.

Guy
That is funny! :biggrin:

This family did not have much to worry about getting assaulted by anybody. The 2 boys were in their late teens or early 20s. The younger one leaped right out of the back seat of the truck and grabbed the handelbars and picked the bike up like it was A Schwinn 10 speed. He was the little one!:biggrin:

I have seen the videos now. Hope I don't need that info again but glad I saw them. A little late.

·
Premium Member
2,662 Posts
Just this last weekend, I rode up to a bike resort about 100 miles from home. G/F and I had been there about 2 hrs, had gotten something to eat and was walking back toward the bike. There was at this time about 40-50 bikes in the lot. This couple had started to leave, going up this oh small grade up. I did not see it but I guess he pulled in the clutch going up the hill and they fell over, bike landed on both of them. Dang it!!!! All the guys, gals, just looked at them, I ran to the Harley Glide, picked it up off them, G/F helped the woman up. I got bike on stand and helped the dude up...... All the AS*&^^%%$#@#$%^&^%$ still just looking...... I could not believe what I witnessed Saturday.........

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I've seen it happen in parking lots where a bike would fall over and the owner could not get it back up so several of us who was about 6 ft 6 in helped him. This particular guy felt humilated for sure so I know the feeling, those big ole bikes are heavy. Reminds me of a guy I knew in Oklahoma who was about 6 ft 6 in tall and ust have weighed close to 350 lbs. We used to eat breakfast at the same place he did and he would ride the big old full dressed harley up to the curb every morning and just snatch it up on the kickstand like it was a feather while he was still sitting on it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts