Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I bought a 1979 Marlin 336 in 30-30 ( 30 WCF for you cowboys ) for a great price at the Miami Gun Show from Airport Pawn. Your friendly help here identified it as a 336C.

It was missing the front sight base, front sight blade and rear sight. Even though it has an awesome Leupold 336 Marlin one piece mount, it had an awful large and not too good of a match Tasco World Class 3x9x50.

I am active on the Guns and Ammo Board and my friend Tennmike offered me a front sight base and screws, another friend Gator offered me a front sight and rear sight with elevator, and a third, JBPOhio, was selling a Leupold 3x9x33 Vari-X older model that worked about perfectly in my opinion for this setup.

Here is the before picture:

That things a freakin' Hubble and heavy as well as big...

Here is the after:

A much better fit.

Before:

After:

The iron sights were perfect for this gun.

Before:

After:

The rear sight was pulled because the "Hubble" would not clear the barrel unless it was removed. The sight is perfect.

The rear sight, after:

My sincerest thanks to Tennmike, Gator and JBPOhio for helping me put this together. Next stop, range day!

D

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
You gotta love friends like those. Looks much more appropriate now. No critique, but I might prefer a lower set of rings with that nice 33mm scope. You still have plenty of room above the rear sight and it will fold to give you more clearance.

Nice job sourcing a good Marlin and doing "the right thing" with it. I'm sure it has regained its self-respect with the proper gear from you. :congrats:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree that the scope sits a bit too high. Any idea which Leupold rings would work best with that mount?

D

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
I don't know. I use Weaver mounts and the only scope I have is a scout model. Somebody else around here is very likely to know though. Maybe somebody like T-Roy. I think he uses Leupold mounts.

You can probably compare your mounts to this chart and determine what yours is versus what else might be available.
Hunting & Shooting Mounting Systems | Leupold Optics

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Maybe this guy?

Mr Magoo.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have that same Leupold mount and also Weaver mounts on my Marlins. I think the Leupolds are very well made and sturdy as a rock, but they are truly HEAVY. I like the way the mount itself is adjustable for windage, but boy are they HEAVY.
The Leupold is steel and the Weaver is aluminum.
The Leupold is about as heavy as the 1-4 X 20 Leupold scope on my Guide gun that uses the Leupold Mount.
I really like them both and I really don't have an opinion on which is better.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Looks like a nice gun for sure, Congrats on the find.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Nice upgrade. I agree with the ring height assessment. Great aquisition.:tee:

·
Premium Member
17,017 Posts
Hey D,

Should be quite the hog getter. LOL

Fine looking 336!

Later, Mark

Reactions: AlaskaDawg

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
I use DNZ Products. The Marlin 1895 & 336 Scope Mount Black Medium DN12042 is on Ebay

Attachments

·
Registered
10,612 Posts
Nice lookin rig now, for sure Dan.
I'm a member over there also by another handle.
But spend way more time over here then there.
Congrats, though. It sure looks alot better now.
Some nice photos also.

Have meet TennMike, very firearm knowledgeable person.

·
Registered
504 Posts
if you want to use those irons, you need to remove the scope.

get a weaver 1-piece mount and weaver medium rings. they are solid, light, remove easily, and go back on with minimal change in zero.

you will be happy with them.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like the second better. However, instead of the high rings, I'd went with the low rings so I could get my face down on the stock. Since doing so, I'm amazed at how quick target acquisition has become and the amount the extra anchor increases off hand accuracy. Just sayin.... God Bless

·
Registered
567 Posts
I mounted a 2x7 Redfield in weaver leverlok rings on a Williams ace in the hole pic' rail with peep. Nice setup easily removed to use the peep

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Good lookin upgrade! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I agree that the scope sits a bit too high. Any idea which Leupold rings would work best with that mount?

D
I've got a Leupold 2x7 VXII scope in the low Leupold "STD" rings on my Glenfield. But,....I have a later fold down Marlin rear sight, that has to be folded down for the scope to fit. I consider the Leupold 2x7 to be the perfect variable scope for the 336. It's the right combination of power and size.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts