Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - been busy hunting up here so I haven't been posting much lately. I've now got about a week lull before my next hunt. So far I've hunted pronghorn, moose, waterfowl and some upland birds. And all within the boundries of my home state ! I'll leave for Colorado in about 10 days for my annual 2 week elk hunt. Upon my return home, it's straight into deer season.

Anyway, I think I have found that I do indeed posses a small magnet. After what seems like years, I have added another Marlin to my collection. I went to a gun auction yesterday with the hopes of bringing home a Model 1895 in .40-65 and/or a Model 1894 in .25-20. Out of 57 guns on the auction, those two single pieces each brought more than anything else. I have to wonder if the Marlin "secret" is out.

I did, however, end up with a very nice Marlin Model 43 shotgun. This is only the 2nd Marlin pump shotgun I've ever owned (a Model 1898, also), and was surprised at how smooth the action is. It sports a 32" barrel, which I find kinda cool.
I have read the discalimer and warnings issued from Marlin with regards to the old shotguns. Anything else I need to know about this shotgun ? I shot it today with some light trap loads, and to my delight it worked flawlessly.
They may not be the prettiest or rarest shotgun on earth, but this old girl sure put a smile on my face.

WB

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have a Model 19 that I shoot with the light target loads. Mine is smooth like yours and I sure love the way it shoots. By the way I have checked all the safety features to make sure that they work. You need to do the same for yours. Good luck with your new Marlin. Parley

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
I think Four Eyed Buck has a friend with a web site that has the check list on it. Something about "marauder" something or other. It's pretty complete, and I used it to check out some of my old Marlin shotguns.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, MM - I have been on that website and the shotgun seems to check out o.k.

6pt.- The 1895 was a standard rifle - 26" octagon with full mag. No Special Order features. It was definitely a shooter - not collector grade by any means. It had the wrong sights but other than that, doesn't appear to have been messed with. The bore was much better than average; shiney with lotsa rifling. It brought $1175 which I thought was a little too much. I dropped out of the bidding at $1000.
But the kicker was the 1894 in .25-20 . It brought $900. Also a standard rifle with no Special Order features. 24" round with full mag. The whole gun was pretty shiney and the wood was in about the same used condition. I was prepared to go to $400 on that one. Somebody must have really wanted that little '94 !

WB

G

·
Wishbone, my experience with auctions is much like your own. My dad an I were at an auction last summer, thay had a nice 1886 Winchester in 38-56 26" octagon barrel clean bore 85-90% we ran it up to $1750 and did not bring it home ,they also had a reblued 1873 Winchester in 38-40 I believe that went for over $1000. Right before XMAS last year he and I went to another auction my pop bought a 1965 REM 700BDL in 98% for $300 and a 1953 WINCHESTER model 12 , 12ga in 95%( it did have a polychoke) for $325. At the same auction there was a Marlin 39A-DL with Marlin scope and the correct Marlin factory sling . I ran that up to $600 and didn't get it :cry: This gun was grubby looking but would have cleaned up well , I say around 97%. I should have gone to $1000 :!:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts