Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much activity here on the Big Game section. Elk season is rapidly approaching....it’s time for someone to “step-up”, start some conversation, and give inspiration to all of us! ;) memtb

Reactions: Vooch and Scorpiusb

·
Super Moderator
15,428 Posts
Back when I lived in Northern California I was to busy quartering and hauling out the 250 to 450 lb bears my cousin and I got... It is a shame really... I'd love to see pictures of those times and reflect back... So I have no Big Game photos to share...

·
Premium Member
11,545 Posts
Back when I lived in Northern California I was to busy quartering and hauling out the 250 to 450 lb bears my cousin and I got... It is a shame really... I'd love to see pictures of those times and reflect back... So I have no Big Game photos to share...
Ya, I'm glad that for some reason, Dad, and I have both been pretty good about having a camera along. Usually not much of a camera back in the "old days" but anymore it's so easy. Heck almost everybody has a cell phone with a camera that does decent work. And no worry about running out of film. Easier now to take the hunting and fishing photos. I still don't take a lot of fishing photos for some reason. Too busy working the fly rod I suppose, and worried about the camera ending up in the water. Lost a camera down a waterfall in Mexico in the 1970's. Been a little leery of taking photos near lakes and rivers ever since.

Guy

·
Super Moderator
23,654 Posts
Same with me. Spent a lot of time hunting elk in the Blue Mountains of SE WA state back in the early 1980s. Never took pics back then--just didn't think of it. Should of bought a cheapo Polaroid camera to use on the '81 hunt that I got my one and only bull to date.............

·
Premium Member
10,627 Posts
Yup, Polaroid camera was the last thing on the equipment list. But like Guy said, that's all changed. Now going forward, I'll be able to back all them, 'so there I was' stories.

·
Super Moderator
15,492 Posts
This year I'll be seeking cow elk, with my bow. Have never managed to shoot an elk with my bow, but it makes for a nice hike in good country. :)

And yes that's a Smith & Wesson 629, 5" 44 mag on my belt. Seems prudent.

True classics a 44 Mag and a Recurve Bow!

Reactions: memtb

·
Registered
395 Posts
It seems that a lot of elk and deer hunts that were "booked" early last year to the Rocky Mountain states have been cancelled and are being offered by many outfitters at "bargain" prices. The "virus" seems to have caused many hunters to stay locked-up at home by their local government (orders?), or by their own volition.
I "snagged" a guided elk hunt at a decent price for this Fall from an outfitter whose client cancelled; and have been getting my gear (and me) ready for the trip! It's been quite awhile since I've been to the "Rockies" and I'm looking forward to the trip. I tend to be an "over packer", so my preparation will include items completely unnecessary for the hunt. What would those of you make sure you included for a hunt in November (besides a pack, rifle, and ammo of course) that is not normally considered? (This is not my first "rodeo", but could be my last "mountain man " fantasy".)

·
Premium Member
11,545 Posts
Congrats on "snagging" a guided elk hunt! That should be a terrific experience. I'm sure your guide/outfitter will have a list of recommended gear.

I'd absolutely have a good pair of binoculars, and if the guide doesn't have a good rangefinder, I'd take one of those as well. Maybe a spotting scope? I use optics a lot in most of my hunting. Good binoculars being the most used.

November in the Rocky Mtns is usually pretty doggone cool, could easily be snowing. Good, warm seeping bag, great clothing, maybe two pair of boots. Gaiters?

I like a good map of the area, though these days a good GPS will also work fine.

And... I'd get in the best walking shape I could be in. Those danged mountains haven't gotten any easier over the years. :)

Enjoy, and please let us know how the hunt goes! Best of luck!

Guy

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Riley
Which Rocky Mountain state will you be hunting? Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico?

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Yup that's the mountains alright.
The elevation of Durango is at something like 6,500 feet and the San Juans go up from there.
If you are a flatlander and it works out, arrive a day or two or three early to get accustomed to the elevation change.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Keep’m coming guys....I need inspiration ! :) memtb

·
Registered
387 Posts
I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the PA elk lottery draw Aug 15th (I believe). If I'm lucky enough I'll be taking my 444s and my Rem 7600 35 Whelen.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts