Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I have a deep love for Marlins, until they went a bit goofy on quality.

After reading all that I have here over the past several days while trying to figure out my problems on my recent 338's, I had a crazy idea.

If Marlin keeps this up and does not fix their quality issues, some of us may want to consider working together to take their place. I am a small business man, I am a manufacturer, and I am a lever gun owner. Marlin's competition does not really have an overly attractive product in my humble opinion. On one of their competitors actually uses a tang safety. Darned ugly on a lever gun if you ask me.

With that said, we Americans have a deep inventive spirit. If they cannot fix their problems, maybe someday, a group of us may want to band together to put out our own product and let the marketplace choose the next course of history.

Just a silly thought. But an intersting one. History shows how these types of thoughts changed entire industries, and made new ones.

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Count me in. I won't be available until for a while, but...

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
I do believe some are way ahead of you on this line of thinking..

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sounds like a good idea and not a silly one . You may have to setup in a gunfriendly state and hire only the best machinists for the task . Administrators for the new company might be harder to find though . Where would you setup the company at ?

Jack

·
Banned
1,157 Posts
Jack Stanley said:
Sounds like a good idea and not a silly one . You may have to setup in a gunfriendly state and hire only the best machinists for the task . Administrators for the new company might be harder to find though . Where would you setup the company at ?

Jack
East Texas, obviously. ;D Although I did hear that Oklahoma was wanting a gunmaker at somepoint...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Acually , I was thinking Montana or Idaho , but hey , I think every state should have one or two gunmakers :)

Jack

·
Registered
901 Posts
There is currently a Building up for sale in North Haven, CT. just the right size to build the best Marlin Rifles, plus the Marlin Signs are still all over the place.
Just another silly idea to add to YOUR silly but interesting idea. ;D

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
KON said:
There is currently a Building up for sale in North Haven, CT. just the right size to build the best Marlin Rifles, plus the Marlin Signs are still all over the place.
Just another silly idea to add to YOUR silly but interesting idea. ;D
Then there is the issue of the 40+ million they paid for Marlin, their designs etc. I don't know how it works, but isn't there protection from others copying their leverguns? Maybe in a few years when they have squeezed all the profit out it will go up for sale again.. ::)

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
I'm thinking the patents ran out years ago on the Marlin levers. Witness the recent Marlin look alikes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm sure Montana or Wyoming would be glad to welcome new business . How many governments east of the Appalacians have a business friendly climate ..... may be easier to pick the few good machinishts they have left and transplant them . There's people all over the country that want to make quality still I'm sure .

Jack

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Jack Stanley said:
I'm sure Montana or Wyoming would be glad to welcome new business . How many governments east of the Appalacians have a business friendly climate ..... may be easier to pick the few good machinishts they have left and transplant them . There's people all over the country that want to make quality still I'm sure .

Jack
I remember hearing something about NY state giving Remington/Cerberus money to relocate Marlin there. I'm a little foggy on the details, but maybe WY or MT outta do something like that just to prove their corporate friendliness! Corporations LOVE for governments to spend money on them! Hell our own much beloved Gov Sarah Palin (before she QUIT!) gave Trans Canada 500 million to jumpstart building a gasline from the N. slope to Alberta. Had she gave that that kind of money to Cerberus we might have at least had Marlin up here! ;D

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
I'm thinking anyone that wanted to should be able to start a company that manufactures a proper 39, 1894, and/or 336. The patents are all expired. Just look at the 1911, the AR-15, the Colt SAA, the S&W Revolver (which, incidentally, was basically just a copy of the Colt, with a few unimportant changes to skirt Colt's patents even when they were still in effect), the Win 94, the M1A, etc., etc. There are lots of folks manufacturing firearms that they didn't design. And Remington sure didn't have anything to do with the design the 336...as I see things, the moment they decided to shut down the Connecticut plant and sever all ties with the old employees is the moment that the current Marlin company lost pretty much all of its heritage. The real question is, will the buying public at large see things the same way, and if so, will it be a big enough factor to make a difference in butting into the market.

It is only the Marlin name that is off-limits for a competitor, trademarks are good and protected as long as they remain in use.

I wish Marlin the best of luck under Remington. All I know is I'm glad I bought my new 336 before Remington started changing things with Marlin enough where I noticed a difference in the rifles off the shelf, and that while I would like to buy a new Marlin similar in quality to my 336, if today's Marlin continues to put out the quality they have been, they won't be able to make that rifle that I expect. If someone else were able to start up a company that made a rifle that did meet my expectations, built it in the USA, and built it for a good value, I'd certainly pick it over the Marlin. If I had any firearms industry experience I'd even like to be involved in something like that, but most might not think I'm the right kind of engineer ;D And I'm sure it wouldn't be easy (nothing worth doing is). I guess the big x-factor is if Remington will or will not eventually figure out how to make a true Marlin. I'm guessing no, but we'll see.

Makes me wonder how big the market is, here, and if US firearms buyers are going to start defecting to the foreign-made options more and more as time goes on.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Someone could start building good lever rifles in Alaska and that would suit me just fine . I believe a state can be corporation friendly and not have to pay them to set up shop . After all , whatever they pay a corporation , they have to take from someone else first which isn't real friendly to the one being taken from . The state could stop spending like they are king of all and it would be better for both business and individuals .

The state that surrounds me has been busily driving business out of the state for the last forty years and now want's to put more tax on retired people to give corporations a break . Of course eliminating administrative jobs in the capitol city isn't on the list of cost cutting measures . Nor is cutting back the size and scope of the beast that the political animals have been building for so many years . The leadership of this state regardless of party affiliation are in the process of bringing the inhabitants down to the level of a fifteenth century serf and they like it that way .

Perhaps what we are seeing is just how much corporations have in defense contracts . As long as they can make money from a defense contract for the next fifty years , why would they have any interest to provide quality for a civilian market . It could be just as simple as the corporate bottom line doesn't include customer service as standard anymore . Either way , time will tell who is right , the market or corporate leaders .

Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts