Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got the disease I have I had to sell our house and all my logging equipment in McCall and move to Boise Idaho for Vocational Rehab.Two years later and they said good ridence my wife did not want to move back to McCall Idaho.So we bought a new Manufactured Home(Trailer) in Cascade from what seemed to be a nice guy.Vietnam vet with fisical problems and single.He bought a place half way from Cascade to Riggins where we spend alot of time.So we always stopped by his little cabin and said howdy.(Not from Idaho)

Well....I was making the trip with my son only and he told me about his hunting the last season.He shot a nice Bull Elk and only wounded it with his 7MM Buttttt instead of putting it out of his misery he started kicking it in the @ss so it would get up and stumble down hill closer to his ATV.He did this several times he said..I only said we have to go and have not seen him since and don't want to.

Is this right in your minds?My wife would have started a fight if she was there.I just left without a word.It was trouble or just leave...

Jayco the story teller.True story!!!!!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I don't doubt you for a second, but I think (hopefully) he was pulling your leg. A wounded anything would have tried to fight back and he would have been gored (my opinion only.....don't know that as a fact)

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope Tubby..It was true.He described it to the tee and was proud of it evidently not knowing right from wrong.

I have been around the block in my day and know bull when I see it.This loner had know problem describing every detail from almost getting the horn to the damned thing just gave out.

Owe well.........Jayco

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Jayco, that didn't sound right, so I'll try again...I would, as I ,feel you would, put him down as soon as I could, packing, pullin' draggin' is part of the sport...Jake.

·
Premium Member
14,840 Posts
Good on ya Jay, I could NEVER treat one of God's creatures like that.

Dave 8)

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jake-I've pulled my boners in my day.I once shot a Huge Bull he just stood there never takin a step and finally hit the dirt squirming around as they sometimes do before dieing.So I thought I would save a Nosler and put him out of his misery with my wifes 45 acp.Got schrapnel in my foot from the 45 acp bullet exploding on its brain...Memory kicked in and a quick one in the ear ended all.

Never again.....The 454 or my rifle to finish off the critter.One should never have to suffer..Man or Animal.

Jayco

·
Registered
426 Posts
jayco - What the guy did sure as H-- was wrong. No animal should be made to suffer. What you did when he told you about it, thats your call. You were there not me, but you've said enought on this board for me to know that I wouldn't try to 2nd guess you on how you handled it.

Happy New Year ! :)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
jaycocreek said:
Jake-I've pulled my boners in my day.I once shot a Huge Bull he just stood there never takin a step and finally hit the dirt squirming around as they sometimes do before dieing.So I thought I would save a Nosler and put him out of his misery with my wifes 45 acp.Got schrapnel in my foot from the 45 acp bullet exploding on its brain...Memory kicked in and a quick one in the ear ended all.

Never again.....The 454 or my rifle to finish off the critter.One should never have to suffer..Man or Animal.

Jayco
A quick story, explaining why I don't carry a hand gun when hunting. Right after getting out of the service, my dad and I were up around Tensleep Wyo. hunting deer. We hadn't been huntin' togeather for over four years, so it was a great trip, and as always we had a bet on who would get the biggest buck. He took a nice 4x4 opening day, but I had seen a real nice buck in the area, and knew it was bigger. The third day, I lowered the boom on him, good heart lung shot, and he went into a gulch. When I got to where I could see him, he was laying on his stomach, looking straight at me, maybe 20 yards away. I was carrying an old Ruger Blackhawk in 30 carbine. I pulled it to take a head shot, and proceeded to shoot off his left antler, which did kill him, but I ended up buying beer for the ole' man for the next week. After that my second shots, when needed, have been with the rifle... :oops: :oops: :oops: ...Jake.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Jayco,
I think most of us feel the same as you. It's disrespectful to not finish off game humanely. But I think you handled it the right way. Better to just leave, than start anything with him.

N

·
0 Posts
I cut their throat. I know, you could get horned or hoofed - only cut two doe's throats. But, point blank with a rifle, versus my 44 mag - always carry a revolver - also good for close shots.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: I'm lost :?: Is this about BS or suffering? Franly, I can't imagine getting close to a bull that still had the fight in him to lurch even if was downhill. I think I have heard of an elk being shot and running to near the road and dying. This story seems like a fable to me and if it's not then the fellow was cruel as well as being a fool. BestLever

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BestLever said:
Hello Riflemen: I'm lost :?: Is this about BS or suffering? Franly, I can't imagine getting close to a bull that still had the fight in him to lurch even if was downhill. I think I have heard of an elk being shot and running to near the road and dying. This story seems like a fable to me and if it's not then the fellow was cruel as well as being a fool. BestLever
Bestlever and Norm-I can see your disbelief but it is the story he told me and I do believe him from his graphic desciption of the ordeal and knowing him as I did.Not quite over the conflict and a couple fries short of a Happy Meal when it came to hunting.Agent Orange took it's toll on him.

I personally several times have seen people get kicked-knocked down by Elk and Deer who appeared to be dead or doing the death dance.My Dad got knocked on his kiester while cutting the throat of a lifeless looking Bull Elk that had one more kick left in him.One of our friends we hunted with got a short ride on the back of a Mulie Buck under the same kind of thing.Both when I was young.I always have my son or wife ready for me to jump back so they can finish what appears to be a dead animal as I cut the throat.

Dead is not always "totaly dead".It is either cut his throat or blast him again for insurance.I believe his story knowing him and seeing the things I have.Owe well..Who would figure that Norm and Bestlever would raise doubt in poor old Jayco's story.What happened to being nice....

Thats right..It's not the New Year yet. :lol: I don't care if you believe it or not.I do- so take that you "Bullies".Abused again by the "Forum Bullies"...

Poor abused old Jayco.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
If in fact he really did as he claims, the man is a complete jerk and a fool.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
jayco: I have never questioned questioned your sincerity or honesty. Never! So if you are convinced this fellow did torcher that bull I got to go with you on it. He was cruel and a fool. By the way. When I come up on a kilt critter that could hunrt me I jab them hard with a sharp stick. Around the eyes or ears. The larger and meaner the critter the longer the stick :lol: good morning Riflemen, BestLever

·
Registered
503 Posts
I think that alot of us have a hard time believing the story because we do not want to even think that another sportsman would do such a thing. You handled it the way I would have, I would have left before I had to much time to think about it and get angry. Three years ago I had a friend who I would Antelope hunt with tell me that he had shot a small Buck Antelope at quite a distance thinking it was a doe. Well he had both a Buck and a doe tag but he did not want to waste his buck tag on a small Buck so he dumped it in a ditch. He did not tell me this story until the following year on the day before we were supposed to go out Antelope hunting again. At first I though he was just trying to fire me up, but after his wife verified the story I just left. I went Antelope hunting by myself that year. All I ever told him was I wish that the Fish Cops would have nailed his a$$ to the wall for what he had done. He just looked at me like I was from Mars he was shocked that I was so upset by his stupidity. I always finish an animal if it is needed as soon as I possibly can.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Norm Watkins said:
Bestlever is my mouthpiece again even if his spellen is no gud.
Well Normie....Can't speak for yourself...Beastlever has trouble controlling his own thoughts.I have a patent pending and like Reflex I need field testers and I figured you and the Beast would volunteer.We have picture cell phones now and I have invented the picture pistol.Take your own photo's with your handgun...What could be better especially for you and the Beast?I want a pic from this converted pistol to camera of the "Both" of ya.

Field Test this one for me.

Finally got the DSL loaded and Cocked and I'm ready for you Two fella's now.

Jayco

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Franly Norm, I don't give a damn :) I have misspelled the word kilt all my life in a million differt ways. I'm going downhill fast! BeastLever

1 - 19 of 19 Posts