Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last production stopped two years ago today (Thursday February 10[SUP]th[/SUP], 2011). It had dwindled down to a slow churn but this was the end. I added this “tragic event” to my Outlook calendar as a reminder of the great firearms and good people that supplied most of the long arms I own. This isn’t a rant, it is to just remember the good ole days.

If you own one or more of the true Marlins, you know just how I feel. If you can’t go out and shoot today, grab one anyway in remembrance of where it came.

1895gunner

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yes, very sad. I grew up in CT...when I was a kid, Colt, High Standard, Winchester, Mossberg, Marlin and Remington (Bridgeport, ammo) were all there and prospering. Not anymore. I always thought Marlin would hang on...new plant, profits were good with a happy, dedicated work force. Too bad. The good side is that there's still lots of good older Marlins around to find.
Bob

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Thanks Scott,
I remember going in the lobby and also getting a tour of the factory. I dodn't know then that it was the last time I'd ever be able to do that.
I also remeber going to Mossbergs, about half a mile away and walking in, having the girl go in back and get me a part I was looking for. That was a long time ago.
Winchester is long gone but I remember wne they were there, in New Haven.
I believe that CT has shown from the top that they could care less. They really dont care about the history, jobs, revenue, pride or anything else about these GREAT factorys.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
From the Marlin factory. Given to me by my FIL. Dummy 30-30, 444 and a full box of 22 shorts
003.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks Scott,I've owned mossy's winny's but none of them are as solid as my marlins,but like it was said there are JM's to be had just need to look,and hang around here

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
10,687 Posts
Thanks for the rememberance, Scott...............................................

That was the most enjoyable job I'd ever had...............I told people that I wanted to retire at 55, and do something that was fun, and held my interest.
So,...... After a career in Optics and Laser instrumentation, Aerospace Tooling and Gaging, and Surface Roughness Measurement Gaging Systems for the Auto Industry,..........I joined Marlin North Haven at 55 years old..........

I can look back and say working at Marlin was like getting up each morning, and going to my hobby........I got excited each Sunday night at about 7.......I couldn't wait to get back there.

I cannot express how much I enjoyed my time there, and the many friendships I made............Color and ethnicitys never mattered to me, and I met, and worked with some truely wonderful people...........

I'm looking forward to a reunion with some of them in May or June, to commerate the closing of Marlin North Haven............

So, ..Sometime in May or June, I'll raise a glass to Marlin, the people I worked with, and the wonderful rifles we produced in North Haven...............And the good times we had doing so........................

Thanks for the rememberance,

Tom

·
Premium Member
13,210 Posts
Thank you Scott for reminding us a truly sad day indeed!!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I need to rescue more Marlins before I work on other guns on my "want" list. There's an 1894FG, 1895CB, and a 444P that need to come home I think.:biggrin:

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
If Bob Tinari is out there reading this ... thank you Bob, thank you for my 338MX and thank you for all of your loyal years with Marlin - taking care of all of us through your service department.

Pass that along to your old factory friends if you will please?

·
Premium Member
18,011 Posts
Ooooh, Gallo.................that WOOD! What a beauty.

It seems longer than two years since the plant shut down......to me it feels like a decade ago. I haven't bought a Marlin for a few years, everything I have is North Haven-made, and that will NEVER change. I saw a comment on another forum tonight that pre-Remlin guns are going for "stupid money." We'll likely hear the same guy whining next year about how he wishes he'd bought those Marlins when he still had the chance!

Tomray, I think about you and your co-workers every time I handle one of my Marlins......those were good times you folks shared, and will always remember fondly. There were few sights as lovely as opening the box on a brand-new JM-stamped Marlin, and hearing the people in the gunshop around you gasp as you pulled it out of the plastic sleeve and admired it under the lights.

Ah, memories!

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
Thank you for the reminder. We had the day the music died and we have the day the Ture Marlins died. Like most of you, all my Marlins are JMs and it will say that way with any other Marlin I buy.

·
Premium Member
10,687 Posts
If Bob Tinari is out there reading this ... thank you Bob, thank you for my 338MX and thank you for all of your loyal years with Marlin - taking care of all of us through your service department.

Pass that along to your old factory friends if you will please?

Gallo,

I sure will.......Bob T. is a good friend....... I haven't seen him since last April at the last reunion, but look forward to seeing him in a few months..........Bob and I did a lot of things together at Marlin...........I helped him, and he helped me.........A very talented guy and a good friend.

Tom

Reactions: Gallo Pazzesco

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Scott - I well remember the date. Marlin's passing was a rebirth for me. Phoenix rising from the ashes so to speak. I was housebound recovering from an accident when I read that Marlin was shutting down. This gave me considerable grief, and one thing I could do, was to get my much neglected Marlins ( and some others ) out to handle and clean them. It was holding them, that sparked my now obvious case of Marlinitis. Since then I have attempted to establish a personal foster home for unwanted, neglected, and today is seems significantly overpriced marlin's. Be that as it may, the Marlin Code is still HERE on this forum, and that is what's count. Tomray and all those that went before us - thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts