Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting into reloading myself. I do not currently own a 35 REM but will someday. I was looking at the Lee 4 hole turret. It will load everything I have right now but I want to make sure I can use it in the future. Any feelings on this setup and what does everyone else use as a reloader for their 35 REM.

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Ranch Dog will highly recommend it. I use a Rockchucker, and would like a turret, but got a progressive instead. (Dillon). If you are easy on things, it would be a great set-up. I have some questions about myself, though, as aluminum makes great dies and am not sure about whether the press has enough oomph for me. :roll: I use Lee dies and nearly everything else Lee. Lee also has a cast iron press that many are touting. I see no advantage of the Rockchucker over this one. I'm sure the Lee is cheaper. You can do your set-up anyway you want. I have heard others question the ability of the aluminum press to have adequate enough power for the magnum cartridges. Should be no problem at all for your 35.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I just got into reloading not to long ago because I got a .35 rem. I am on a budget so I went with the Lee aniversery kit. Its single stange. I dont have any complaints about it but i also dont have anything to compare it to. The .35 rem is a great cartridge to start reloading on because all published loads are well below the strength of the gun so you really dont have to worry to much about max loads. (33,000 cup stuff)

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
I'm not a big fan of lee presses , but my buddy a lee 4 holer that has held up great loading 7.62x54 . Lee makes a lot of great stuff . I've never had or seen anything break . HYDE

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Dr. A, the Lee turret press is made of steel in its top and support columns, which take the sizing load. The turret inserts, which can be set up for each caliber or set of dies, are aluminum, as is the base. Their Challenger O frame press is not made of iron or steel, but the O frame makes up for it somewhat with its inherent rigidity and I beam shape, and of course the Classic is cast iron. Lee die bodies are made of steel, with exceptions for the nonstressed components of the dies, like the seating stem screws.

The Lee turret will work with many cartridges as long as they don't exceed the limitations of the press clearance. You can't load some of the magnums with it, but they make other presses that will. Usually, smaller cartridges are loaded in volume, and for that the Lee turret press is appropriate. The auto index feature works with the shorter cartridges only, as I recall. I have the progressive version of the Lee turret press.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
Dr. A is correct, I use and love the Lee Turret Press! I load the 35 Rem and all my ammo with this press. I work out my pet loads with the powder charge delivered from the Pro Auto-Disk mounted on top of a rifle charging die, it's why you will want a four-hole turret. Use of the Auto-Disk for rifle cartridges requires the Double Disk Kit.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Well, let me jump in here and ask a question -- I can see where, when loading for volume, you could very well benefit from a progressive press. I loaded for many a handgun years ago both for accuracy and volume. For refined loading, such as for accuracy, I used a single stage press, a RCBS Rockchucker, and a Lee turret press for volume.

My question is, have the turret presses evolved to the point that they can do double duty as a single stage press or for the really refined loads, regardless of caliber, should a gent still use the single stage press?

SS

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what Lee is saying it looks like you can use it as progressive or a single bullet at a time configuration. I do not own one yet but that is how I take it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The two things I liked most about my Lee turrent press were that you didn't have to keep seeting up dies for each change of operation. Set up the die head and load away. To change from loading one caliber to another, just pop the die head out and put in the one with the appropriate dies, no muss no fuss. The second thing I liked about it was it was plent fast without being too fast. In other words, if I made a mistake, Ididn't have to clean the case holder plate and start over. The turrent is just a high speed single stage press, making it very easy to control.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts