Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend brought over a 94 Win to have me put a large loop lever in it for him so it would look more 'cowboy'. Whatever. We all play differently with our toys, so I told him to go do a little shopping & I'd give him a call.

DANG!! What a pain in the butt!! :? A Marlin is SO much simpler! When he came back about an hour later, I handed him a well-used 336 & asked what he thought of it. He was amazed that it was so much smoother. I showed him all that was required to take it down & he was further amazed. He HAD to have the Wrenchester, though... it's more "cowboy", you see. You don't? Well, neither do I.

If someone GAVE me a Win, I'd trade it as quickly as possible!! SW

·
Registered
564 Posts
Have owned a '76 336C .30-30 for 28+ years, and a '74 39A .22LR for 30+ years. Wouldn't swap either of them for 10 Winchesters :D

If someone gave me a Winchester lever I'd swap it as soon as possible for a Marlin big bore lever or, a bolt .30-06 or .270. Then that .300 Weatherby mag. at wally world for $399, looks good as a long range rifle.

So let's see, what I need is a bolt in the .264, .270, .30-06, .300 mag. cat., and a Marlin 444S.

Nah, if I had them I'd still always use my .30-30.

Sorry about going OT and dreaming in the "Reality check " topic.

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Winchesters have a place.. they are fair clubs.. and useful as small boat anchors... :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
There also good for protecting the poor little critters. Rattling around in the woods, they let em know yer comming sos they can hide! :lol:
Half the action hanging out and all!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a Winchester 94 .30-30 once but got rid of it.

Been shooting Marlins since 1940 and the Winchester is just a piece of junk to me!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
I've got 9 marlins and 1 winchester. Got the win. from my great uncle out in Kingman, Az. He used it to shoot mulies out to 300 yds. from hill to hill. Had some great pictures of him with very large racked 4x4s. He was one of the old Elmer Kieth type. Even had the same hat. He used the hat as a rest and adjusted his shot according to rock splatter. Open sights only in the 30s to the 60s for him. He gave to rifle to my brother and I on a visit in '68 or 69 as we were the hardcore hunters in the family. It is the '94 rifle with the 26" round barrel. Kind of rare. He had the front sight filed down so it was sighted in dead on at three hundred yards. Couldn't shoot 300 yds around here so I had the sight built back up. 37 years later I've still got the gun and lots of memories from loads of shooting it. Wouldn't part with it. 1920 model we think. Still, I prefer marlins. But the old wins have character too. I'll always buy another marlin but not a win. Have fun, Rick

·
Super Moderator
5,565 Posts
Okay. I gotta say something good about 'em. My friend Dave has a 94 carbine in 7-30 Waters, walnut stock, pre-ogly safety and it's a really good shooter. A little more slender in the hand than a Marlin, handles very well, doesn't have the post '64 cheapo feel. Neat gun. Functions well. High velocity-2700+ with 120 grain bullets. Kills the crap out of deer.

I'd rather have a Marlin though.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Winchesters? To each his own, I guess. My daddy had a ruther plain-jane 94-30/30 an he kilt more n' his share of whitetails with it. Not a failure in over 30 yrs of his carryin, hunting and filling out tags with it. I had little interest in it as I was smitten by the long range bolt action bug- a strange affliction to have, especially in the close quarters bush-whitetail hunting we have here... Not a bad little gun in my eyes- just shy of the 6 lb. mark and a l.o.p. about 3/4" too short for my tastes.... The winnie was on sale 17 bucks cheaper than the 336 at the Sears where he bought it...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Registered
482 Posts
I hope I don't get run off for confessing this.... My first sporting rifle was a Winchester. Price was more than right, it is over 20 years old and looks as good as any on the rack at wally world. Dad still has that rifle. He reverse inherited it when I bought my first Marlin. I had a Rossi 92 clone that W thingy and the 'new' Marlin. I still like the stream lined looks of a '94. The one I HAD was an angle eject w/o a manual safety. The trigger isn't too bad for being a rebounding trigger.

All that said I now own 3 Marlins each one shoots at least as accurately as that one W thingy.

One day, hopefully in the distant future, when I reinherit that rifle I will keep it. Until then I WILL NOT BE ADDING ANY W-THINGYS to my gun rack. In the my gallery here you can see some bad pics of my Marlins. Both carbines are nearly as slim as a Win. Having carried both hunting the extra pound or so isn't an issue. Also this may be weird to some but I prefer a pistol grip stock.

Wow that is a long winded way of saying I'm with defcon9, if given a Winchester other than Dad's it wouldn't take long to find some sort of good trade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my first 336 over a year ago after much debate between a 336 and a 94. I chose the 336 mostly for the solid reciever better suited for a scope. Since then I have been prowling around waiting for a chance to get
lever gun in .357. A couple of weeks ago I went to The Sportsmans Warehouse to see what they had. It was the first real chance I compared
A Marlin to a Winchester. Side by side the Marlin was much better in fit
and finish. Even the wood seemed much better. On one of the Winchesters the forend rattled terribly. Even the
salesman commented on how much better the Marlin was. I was considering a winchester just to own one, not now I think I am Marlin to the bone when it comes to leverguns. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think it's more to each his own. I grew up shooting the Winchesters. I tried the Marlins but didn't care for the big butt ugly pistol griped stock(pun intended) and still don't, on any lever action. I know this is a Marlin site and I do like Marlins, I have an 1895G that I really love to shoot. But my 307Winchester has it's place, and right now I grab it first. Why, because it's very accurate and lethal as about as far as I can shoot which is about 300 yards. I know the Winchester's are harder to work on but I don't plan to work on mine unless I have to. I've been watching a Winchester Ranger and Marlin 336 at a Wal-Mart for a little over 2 months now. The Ranger is at $265 and the 336 at $280. Each have their good points and bad, I'm just wondering which one will sale first. Wood on the Winchester is better, but the front sight doesn't have a hood. I've been awful tempted to try for the Winchester but know better.

JDW

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just today spied a pre-safety 94AE excellent + for the princely sum of $189.00. Still thinking about getting it. It had a real nice finish, nice walnut, factory drilled and tapped, clean inside and out. Thought my nephew might like it..... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
I own some 9 Marlins and one Winchester. Its a 356, or else I wouldn't have bothered. It has been a test to get it to shoot from the beginning. It was new in box, and I have had to learn to keep that derned lever up close to the stock. If you don't squeeze, it will misfire. My brother has a 375 big bore. They both shoot very accurately with cast bullets, but shooting or trying to match factory ammo them is twice as hard in these things as in Marlins. I bought a Marlin 375 the other day and the first bunch of ammo I made up was as accurate as a lever gun can be. The Winnie is actually one I would be tempted to unload if the right trade came along. Unfortunately, the chances of finding a 356 ER are pretty poor, and I do want to pursue the caliber. Its just more work than pleasure. The stock sure looks pretty... :lol:

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Dr. A,

I wish you could find a .356 Marlin on the open market. I know they are hard to come by but I guess you just have to keep looking and be patient.
As you know the auction sites have them now and again but they seem to go pretty high, in fact I'm skeptical about the last 2 or 3 I have seen auctioned off. I believe there was a little "jazzing the market" going on.

Anyway, one thing I like about the Winchester is the straight grip, if Marlin would make a few more I'd be tickled pink.

SS

·
Premium Member
9,145 Posts
Well.....I own 2 Winchesters, a M1895 carbine in 30-03 GOV and it is a nice rifle and a dang good shooter. there is just something about hunting with a 100 year old rifle. I really dont have anything bad to say about that rifle. I also have a M94 in 30-30 Win that I just got last month. I have never owned a M94, and I have to say it is not a Marlin. It is a rough clunky thing. As far as accuracy goes I have yet to put it on paper. I have put about 20 rounds through it so far. I was out at a friends house and we shot it off the front porch at a dirt clod out in the bean field. I was happy with the way it shot. Off hand at 100 yards we were hitting the clods that were about 8 inches. But it for sure is NOT butter smooth like the Marlin is. I must admit though, I have been eye ballin the Trails End octagon hunter in 25-35........I figure I will let Dr A get one first and see how he likes it before I get one :wink:

·
Registered
13 Posts
I, too, had a Model 1895, but it was a Browning in .30-06. Unfortunately it was in the group of item stolen back in the mid 90s. I would love to have it or a duplicate back but there were just a limited number made.

My comparison and dislike has to do with the Model 94 compared to the Marlins. There is no comparison as the Marlin shoots better and handles better. My opinion after 64 years experience shooting them.....

:)

·
Registered
335 Posts
i've had two of the W-'94's, a commemorative in 38-55 and a TE in .357. The commemorative wouldn't group worth a darn and the TE wasn't worth anything. worst gun I've ever had, my smith had it more than I did. He referred to it as "The Winchester from Hell"! That gun should've never left the factory. Long story and I don't want to get my BP up, so I'll just say that both gns are now history and were replaced by Marlins, an 1893 in 38-55 and an 1894CS in .357. The only thing I use that says Winchester on it now is cases and primers........Buck 8) :roll: :shock:

·
Registered
719 Posts
ahahahahaha.........

I will have to admit, the longest called shot was from a good 94'winne that had....should of kept her, be those were the 'tradin days' :roll:
170gr factory silver tips, 500yds down a old RR bed, shot from a sitting position, at a 4' piece of RR tie, knock it over! boy was i surprised! and, the old slow 170gr went thru! the tie!....i DON'T want anybody shooting at me with a 'thuty-thuty"!!!!!!!! :shock:

but now if you want to talk REAL trash...lets talk swed/swiss rifles...ahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Dog gone it, Big Medicine, you know that Marlin will never make a 25 cal like that! I was waiting for you to get one! I also want the octagonal barrel!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts