Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing these in the Walmart in Glasgow, Kentucky back in the 80's when I was a kid and thinking they were the coolest things in the world! When I got big enough to buy my own guns you couldn't find one anywhere, and if you did you could afford one!

But today there was an estate auction right up the road from me with some guns, lots of reloading stuff, and lots of tools. I looked her over, 1979 vintage, one tiny scuff on the stock, no scratches in the loading gate, perfect blueing, and lots of accumulated dust! Just like I like em!

Long story short, I brought her home. I paid more than I've ever paid for a gun, $750 + tax, but she's mine. I looked at GB, and prices were all over the places, so I decided on a number and stuck to it. I don't know if I over paid or not according to the market, but I'm pretty sure I'll have that much fun out of the old gun!

I shot three .357's through her just to make sure, and she's flawless. I didn't get to shoot .38's but I did run some through later and they ejected fine, so I have hope that it'll feed both.

Here's a couple of bad pics, I still need to give her a proper clean up, but I couldn't wait to show her off some!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Another great addition. That one should be a LOT of fun to shoot.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
Nice! You can't beat them Carbines. You will have a lot of fun with that.:congrats:

·
Banned
1,758 Posts
A great rifle, a great caliber, and pretty good on the price, too.

Not exactly a steal, but you just don't see steals anymore on a JM Marlin in .357...

Hard to find, but a lot harder to give up!

Congrats.

Brocky

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Great find and in a terrifically fun caliber to shoot!

·
Premium Member
18,171 Posts
My favorite fun-gun. Eats like a teenager, but there's a price for everything! I think you two will be very happy together.

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Very nice rifle! :congrats:

·
Registered
11,172 Posts
Nice little carbine! I'm sure you'll have it from now on, I know I would. Congrats:congrats:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Nice find!! $750 is a very fair price on that at today's prices.

Luis

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Congrats :congrats:. You're going to enjoy that little rifle and don't worry about the $750, they don't make them anymore and they will just go up in value.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
It looks mint. As you said, "a real marlin", if the serial nuumber is on the back tang instead of the side of the receiver, you ended up with a really good find for $750 plus tax. Congrats !!!

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Score! Congrats! And you honestly know what the best part is to me ... is that whoever owned that rifle, he probably loved that rifle and had no one to leave it to, thus, the estate sale .....

Then destiny stepped-in and BAM, after all these years of wanting one, now you have one. Well done. I'll bet the gentleman who owned it before is smiling somewhere. Did you happen to find-out his name or learn anything about him? I've been to a couple of estate sales locally and scored guns at both but both times it was kind of sad to me because I knew the people, one was a widower, no children still around who cared, they just wanted the money. The second was a widow, the guns belonged to her husband who had died in the 70s and she had kept them safe and warm hidden away under her bed all those years until she finally died in 2008.

Both had incredibly interesting stories behind them when I did a little asking around, which is my nature I suppose.

Anyways, congrats again, very nice score. :)

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Congrats to you Sir!!! :congrats:.......Nice rifle and a fair price these days.

Like Papa John said though, It'll eat like a teenager so I Hope you roll your own!!!? :biggrin:

Enjoy her.
BloodGroove4570

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.