Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting setup (finally) for reloading this week. Here's my question...does the Lee Pacesetter 3 die set for 45-70 include the factory crimp die??

Thanx

Perferator

·
Banned
1,283 Posts
For any cartridge that usually uses a three die set; sizer, expander, seater/crimper, the Lee Pacesetter die set will not come with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reloading

i had to buy a 4th die for crimping. Collet crimper.

Pleased as punch with myself, cast my own 340gr bullets and taught myself to reload...starting on 45-70...all in the past month!

Shot a test round out of my 1895G in the backyard yesterday...just like factory box ammo....yee haw!!!

Ric

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
Hold onto your pants ric, you have only hit the tip of the iceberg. I have 8 powders, 3 jacketed bullet types, and 6 45-70 cast molds I use for my reloading needs. The 45-70 is indeed a honest sickness. One is never enough!

·
Super Moderator
9,488 Posts
All of the Factory crimp dies I bought were sold as an individual die. You can order them direct from Lee. I use the factory crimp on all my magnum reloads especially if using magnum powders on full mag loads.

Reactions: oldfatbubba

·
Registered
80 Posts
Correct.
For any cartridge that usually uses a three die set; sizer, expander, seater/crimper, the Lee Pacesetter die set will not come with the Lee Factory Crimp Die.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
My 25 20 Lee Pacesetter set came with the factory crimp die. I do not know about the other calibers though. Maybe only some calibers do. I always just used the wack a mole handloading ones for 45-70

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hold onto your pants ric, you have only hit the tip of the iceberg. I have 8 powders, 3 jacketed bullet types, and 6 45-70 cast molds I use for my reloading needs. The 45-70 is indeed a honest sickness. One is never enough!
Maineiac, I haven't yet been to Maine, knew and corresponded with Bill Crowley re lubes until he passed. I have 5 or more 45 moulds including 2 NGG's, non grease groove, 2 Lee, Lyman, another but shoot no j-bullets. I retired my 1988 Trapdoor Buffington, built a lightweight 458 Win Mag on a Brno 98 action $70 with 4x Weaver scope $30, all of $100 for stock and A&B barrel, shoot it single shot with 45-70 Trapdoor typical loads, 450-500-600 gr CB's at 900-1100 fps shoot well to 600 yds as is my range max distance, shot some in Texas at 200-250 yds, all pleasant recoil loads but one 600 gr at 1500 fps was all that I wanted from my partners loads but it hit the 36" parabolic plow blade target at 250 yds we shot with several rifles that day in Austwell, Texas.

·
Administrator
28,103 Posts
Ahem, anyone notice the date this thread was first posted?

Jack

Reactions: unclesarge58

·
Registered
2 Posts
Jack, 7-17-20, dont know re Dr A. billwwilly
"Hold onto your pants ric, you have only hit the tip of the iceberg. I have 8 powders, 3 jacketed bullet types, and 6 45-70 cast molds I use for my reloading needs. The 45-70 is indeed a honest sickness. One is never enough!
Maineiac, I haven't yet been to Maine, knew and corresponded with Bill Crowley re lubes until he passed. I have 5 or more 45 moulds including 2 NGG's, non grease groove, 2 Lee, Lyman, another but shoot no j-bullets. I retired my 1988 Trapdoor Buffington, built a lightweight 458 Win Mag on a Brno 98 action $70 with 4x Weaver scope $30, all of $100 for stock and A&B barrel, shoot it single shot with 45-70 Trapdoor typical loads, 450-500-600 gr CB's at 900-1100 fps shoot well to 600 yds as is my range max distance, shot some in Texas at 200-250 yds, all pleasant recoil loads but one 600 gr at 1500 fps was all that I wanted from my partners loads but it hit the 36" parabolic plow blade target at 250 yds we shot with several rifles that day in Austwell, Texas. "

·
Super Moderator
12,289 Posts
Ahem, anyone notice the date this thread was first posted?

Jack
Jack this seems common with the new format where old threads show on the bottom as 'recommended reading'. Seems the dates are being overlooked resulting in a lot of resurrected threads.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I see "recommended reading" as a random joke.
exactly as "recommended/suggested buy" in commercial sites, they are the same kind of emanations of the holy computer genius.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check out the "joined date" of the OP and a few that follow...🤔

1 - 16 of 16 Posts