Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 1894CP (357) just over a month now, only managed to get out with it twice, both time I have noticed that the ports get blocked, some worse than others. Not that I think the ports do that much anyway.

When I get home from the range I poke out the ports (carefully) and find that it's bits of lead. I am assuming, as it's new, the holes may have some burrs left from drilling and this is catching the bullet on the way past.

Do you think in time it will stop or should I attempt to de-burr the inside of the hole? (which I am sure I can find a way)

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't know about the Marlin ports, but had to give up shooting lead with a ported S&W 629. Ports kept closing up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My understanding is that soft lead will clog ports, but I cannot personally attest to this since I shoot JSP's in mine. I'm sure that burnishing the barrel (as will happen in time with use) will lessen this effect.

Luis

Reactions: BFPGW

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm not a lead fan and shoot nothing but jacketed bullets out of all of my ported guns. Never had an issue with ports clogging.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I doubt if there are burrs involved, from what I've read, they used EDM to make the ports, no burrs. You'd probably need one of those fancy borescopes to tell.

Instead, let's analyze what's going on. As the base of the bullet clears the port, you've got very hot supersonic gas wanting to escape and it does so, right past the naked lead base of the bullet. What happens then? Lead gets washed off the exposed base and out the port. It happens at the muzzle, too, just more uniformly. So what you might want to try is some gas-checked bullets, copper has a lot higher melting point than lead. I don't think the problem is going to go away the more you shoot bare lead unless all the holes get plugged up. Which would be one way to solve it. You will notice that most of the comps and ports that pistol shooters use generally have a few larger oblong holes rather than a series of small round ones.

Stan S.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the answers guys, will see what FMJ I can get hold of for reloads, or may even give the gas-checks. Or if all else fails with just leave the holes clogged.

Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts