Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my project rifle. It is a 336 from 1961. It was engraved by Ted Seaverson, a master engraver for Winchester, he gave it to his son who sold it to his father-in-law, from whom I purchased it. The barrel had been changed to a target barrel and the wood was plain. First I replaced the barrel with an original Marlin Barrel purchased through Brownells. I put a full length Mag tube on it. I then added the best wood I had and waited until this month to find deluxe wood on a 1963 336 in 35 Rem. The factory had apparently had left over ADL wood and put in on the 1963. It also came with a Marlin scope and gold trigger. I transferred the deluxe wood, scope and trigger to the engraved rifle. What do you think?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thast's a really nice piece of wood!
jim.e

·
Registered
18 Posts
You did a super fine job with the rifle. It is beautiful! What I found disturbing in your post, however, was that the son, to whom the rifle was handed down by his father, could even consider selling it. The rifle that my father passed to me is one of my most prized posessions. Oh well, different strokes for different folks I guess.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Wow, what a masterpiece. How does it shoulder with that monte carlo stock and cheek piece? Where did you get this stock? Thanks for posting the pics! This board needed some pick up.

SS

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Great gun SS, and wonderful engraving. Nice that you could put it back into a traditional configuration, with factory barrel and deluxe wood!

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the nice remarks, retiredsf- I know what you mean, but it is nice to have a history even if it isn't in my family. Sidespin, I saw a post from a gentleman that had a 63 35rem that apperantly received the leftover deluxe wood from the 61-62 ADL's. It was for sale and I bought it immediately. I put the good wood I had on mine-on it. So I have the one I wanted and a great shooter to boot. Sometimes it just pays to be lucky. It shoulders beutifully.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I, 99% of the time don't care for the custom engraving on
firearms, (my rare practicle side) but damn, that is one of
them items of exception. that is a beautiful gun!!!! I don't
even like scopes...... but that one sure looks nice on there.

G

·
It's pretty. You've done some fine work.

I don't know that I'd lean that up agin a muddy fence post to waller down into a ditch fer crawlin' under a fence though...

:wink:

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks FWiedner, I don't think there is much chance that will happen. But that is why I bought the one that had the deluxe wood now it can go where this one won't.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Hello Riflemen: That rifle is the finest Marlin I have seen. Good job. BestLever

1 - 14 of 14 Posts