Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little refurb work to be done on a 39a. Pre cross bolt safety. Is there a "go to" gunsmith or shop in Oz or the US with a "all things old marlin parts" collection that anyone knows of. Looking for a replaement hammer and potentially a replacement but stock. Would prefer vinitage correct parts ie 1957 to 1971 ish. I think can think of a few places with old parts for winchester 92's and 94's but no marlin guys.

Can you swap out triggers and hammers between 336, 1894 and 39 models and is there any trigger or hammer difference between pre and post cross bolt safety?

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks - called the LGS in regional SA who had a reputation for having that rare marlin part we all need and he is not doing a lot in that space now which is unfortunate. I know he has helped ANZMO members in the past.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I may be able to help you out with a new machined Walnut or Tas Blackwood stock set. Let me know what other parts are you looking for and I will check my parts bin.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Tripod

Very good to know a ANZMO member can turn a stock. I have a few potential projects in the pipeline that might require some new furniture.

For the 39a in question I have decided to refinish the stock.

As mentioned above it has been done before. Here is a photograph of 1 hour of gentle 230 grit sanding. I am going slow on this one - really don't want to stuff it up. You can see the small chatter marks from the previous job.

There is a bit of figure in it so hopefully it looks good when finished. Aim is to restore it to as near to the look of a 1960's marlin factory floor look.

There is also a crack in the right semicircle piece that lugs into the action that I need to glue. Local gunsmith has given me a few pointers on how to repair. So if I don't stuff it up would plan to use the current timber. Would be very interested to see some of your machined walnut work.

A Pre crossbolt safety 39a hammer and a marlin white spacer and but pad are the parts I am looking for - if you have either in your tin of marlin parts I would be interested.

A side note - the Aussie "guns for sale sites" seem to have a disproportionate % of good older Marlins in Tassie compared to your population - any view on how you ended up with most of the good ones?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Tripod

A side note - the Aussie "guns for sale sites" seem to have a disproportionate % of good older Marlins in Tassie compared to your population - any view on how you ended up with most of the good ones?

Thanks
I never seem to see them come out and most of mine have come from the mainland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts