Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

Just a quick introduction. My name is Lee (43) and I live in Portsmouth on the South coast of England, UK with my lady and my daughter.

I am a pest and vermin controller by trade and am a trained marksman and registered Firearms Technical Officer.

For my work and pleasure, I currently own and use the following: Moderated CZ .22 rim-fire, .410 Shot-pistol, Moderated Thompson Encore in .22 Hornet, Moderated Sako TRG-22 .308 Win, Moderated Bradley Arms AR15, Moderated .410 Mossberg 500 and a number of “12’s” by Benelli. ;D

I am finding myself more and more shooting deer and foxes within densely wooded areas and have just been given permission by our authorities to purchase a .45-70 for such works. ::) After much research and consideration, I’ve decide to go with a Marlin 1895XLR! :p

I’ve never owned a Marlin and never owned a lever-gun. I’ve reloaded thousands of pistol and rifle rounds, but never cast my own bullets (which I am planning on doing for the .45-70), So I very much look forward to contributing to this forum…and more than likely asking you guys some really stupid questions! ???

Thanks for having me, Leezie. ;)

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
Welcome to the party, Leezie! Lots of good folks here ready and willing to help with answers to your questions. We were all newbies ourselves once, or budding reloaders, or tyros around guns. So don't be bashful about asking questions, I don't know a better or easier way to find stuff out.

What made you choose the 45/70 for foxes and deer?

Does "Moderated" mean suppressed? I wish suppressors were easier to get here, I think using a quiet rifle is the polite thing to do when your neighbors are close by. :D

Too bad our knucklehead politicians all apparantly grew up watching gangster movies............they seem to think the only use for a suppressor (or a gun, for that matter) is to kill people. I have talked to people who grew up in the 20's and 30's who remember their parents or grandparents using suppressed firearms to kill rats in the henhouse..........without disturbing egg production. As you well know, they have some very civil applications!

Again, Welcome to the Forum. 8)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Papajohn, and thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Yep, we have some weird rules and regs here in the UK. We are able to own moderated / suppressed / silenced weapons on Health & Safety grounds…i.e loud bangs ain’t good for your ears! ???

Most hunters and pesties (pest controllers) that I know use moddies even with full supersonic loads as it greatly reduces the boom / crack and saves you having to wear ear defenders!

We have to apply for and justify every firearm we have or wish to acquire here. :(

Each application is scrutinised in great detail and most people (fortunately myself excluded) have to name a specific piece of land where they intend to use each firearm.

The police then visit the land, interview the land-owner and then assess whether or not that piece of land is suitable for the specific weapon / calibre applied for? You cannot shoot anywhere other than that piece of land and if the plod (police) say no…then it’s NO to your gun! :'(

Portsmouth (where I live) is one of the most densely populated cities in Europe…so there ain’t many open spaces and all of my long-range shooting takes place “out of town”.

I could go on all day about some of the odd rules / laws and restraints that we have in relation to firearms here, as I’m sure you could regarding those in the states…crazy times we live in! ???

In answer to your question about the .45-70, in this country we are not permitted to own a self-loading centre fire weapon. The law states that any weapon used for the shooting of deer, must produce a muzzle energy of more than 1700 foot pounds and that the projectile must be expanding in nature…so no round noses, flat-points, wad-cutters, solids etc. So hence my purchase of a Lyman 330-grain hollow-point mould! ;D

I use my Sako TRG-22 in .308 with great success for foxes and deer at range, but it’s the only weapon that I have to legally shoot deer with (foxes are another issue).

I wanted a light-weight weapon (the TRG with Nightforce, Harris, Mod etc weighs in at around 17lbs :eek:) that has excellent short-range ballistics with a suitable “whack” (over 1700ftlbs) that would fit within a carbine-type weapon for use at ranges of up to 100 yards or so and for working wooded areas and the 1895 in .45-70 appears to fit the bill! ;D

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
A big hearty welcome from NE Pennsylvania! Only stupid question is the one you don't ask!! I'm a bullet caster/reloader and didn't know much when I jumped into it! Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.
358 Win

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
9,847 Posts
Welcome from Abilene and Goldthwaite, TX! John

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Welcome, from DFW, Texas

·
Premium Member
6,502 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners from Pennsylvania!!

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello Lee and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners & i agree with 358 Win, the only stupid question is the one not asked. as a newbie myself, you can gain valueable info. & everyone at MO is willing to help or share their expericence or knowledge so just ask away. again, welcome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello from Montana........I just joined up also..........been a gun and bow hunter since I began to crawl.

Born in Arizona. Raised in Nevada. Now retired in Montana. I also am a pest control business owner and operator. I love elk (medium).............but they don't like me much.

Have always used the venerable '06 but have also just acquired 2 marlins (336c and 1894cb) in .44mag and 30-30................they look great.......the 336 has "da jam" but I think I got it subdued

YO........ :)

·
Registered
20,291 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from North Florida!
JW

·
Super Moderator
15,864 Posts
Welcome from Olympia, WA; in the great Pacific Northwest -
THE "ORIGINAL (North Haven, CT Rifles) MARLIN®" COUNTRY!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts