Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm an older guy(59), been a hunter, shooter,fisherman, and outdoors guy all my life.
My shooting career spans over 50 years now, my father started me shooting at age 6 and I never gave it up.
In over a half century of life, I've seen the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, the Downright Weird, and Others that fall into the category of "How you Figure that one out???".
I've shot competition in all 3 guns, Rifle, Pistol, and Shotgun, won a lot, lost a lot too, now shoot for the pleasure of it.
A Machinist by trade, I've seen and used machinery that had common flat belt drive all the way up to the new 5-axis CNC machines.
I've lived through and adapted to the progress of the information age, went from rotary party line phones to the Computer and Internet age as evidenced by me posting this introduction.

I was going through my collection pulled out my old Marlins, a 39, a 1949 vintage 336(my deceased father's gun), a 336T in .44 mag, an 1895 in 45/70, and a 1967 336 in .35 Rem.
Just on a whim, I wondered if there was a Marlin forum for the 336 and ended up here!
I also have some old Winchesters in the collection, 4 pre-64 model 94's an 1886 in 45/70 and a model 92 in 44/40.
I've used the 94's and the 92 to hunt with, prefer to use my father's 1949 336, just like it better.

I'm also a member of the Roosevelt/Browning Hunting Group, you have to use original or reproduction pre-1898 rifles to hunt with.
Have an original BSA Lee-Metford .303(built in 1897) and an original DWM 1896 7m/m Mauser sporter rifle which I use despite both of them being over 100 years old.

I also go after the other kind of Marlin, the kind that swims in the ocean(Pacific Blue Marlin) and am fortunate to live near good fishing grounds.
Oh, some trivia, my user name, kajiki toshi is the Japanese name for Marlin. "Kajiki" refers to the wooden planking of a boat, "Toshi" means to punch through or to pierce, hence, Kajiki Toshi---- the fish that pierces the bottom of your boat!

kajiki toshi

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Welcome aboard.
How is the hunting in Hawaii?

Mark.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Welcome to all things Marlin from Alaska. Congratulations on a fine Marlin collection. I especially value the 45-70 but the 30-30 is also a fine tool.

·
Registered
20,529 Posts
Welcome from South Florida!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Welcome to MO. You'll find all the info and comaradery you can handle here.

·
Premium Member
9,845 Posts
Welcome from Goldthwaite, TX! Thanks for joining us! John

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
Welcome from Texas

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Welcome to MO from Arkansas!! We spent 3 years stationed at Barber's PT 88-91! My son was born in Hawaii. Don't be shy about posting some pictures of them fine shoot'n sticks! :tee:

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Marlinowners from Pennsylvania!!!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hello KT and welcome from the high plains of Colorado. What kind of machine work do you do in Hawaii? I know what you mean about the range of machinery used, I'm in the same boat.
I've run flat belt lathes to CNC multi-axis mills making aerospace parts one day and repair parts for a 1906 White steam car the next. Like RamCharger said, send some pics of your collection
or your beautiful island or even some marlin fishing.
All the best.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Welcome from NE Indiana. I think it is great when people post where they live gives a view of what different areas and countries have to offer. Hunting with your Dad's gun is always a treat.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
The new kids in the machine shops should have to spend some time around the old flat belt machines. They have a sound and rhythm of their own. I ran a 72" Bullard converted from a line shaft machine, it had 2 speeds slow and real slow.:) In the same shop we had 3 gang drills and a gear hob all running off flat belts. I program / run Makino CNCs now. I got sent up to an auction to look at / buy a Bridgeport. It was one of the last made in the USA:( We are totally screwed if we ever have another war like WWII as there are no machine makers here anymore.

·
Registered
14,846 Posts
Welcome to the MarlinOwners Forum from New York.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Hello and welcome to Marlinowners from Louisiana!!!!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Welcome from Long Island farm country, happy shootin'. Cheers:beerglass:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts