Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A "New" Magnet

Was at the grouchy, deaf, old gunsmith's on a totally unrelated matter when I come across yet another steel tube Weaver rimfire scope. For the entirely agreeable sum of 20 dollars, I picked up a Weaver B-4 unlike any I had ever seen before. Might as well call it a new scope- not a mark on it, and it c/w an N-2 mount. Bonus is a set of Weaver see-through bra caps- the first I've seen on a 3/4" tube Weaver.

I believe this scope to be an intermediate version- it has exposed turrets- but they are un-knurled- smooth sided. The dial markings are quite similar to the later capped turret version. Where things get really different is the turret bases. They are long, sharp cornered rectangular seperate pieces. From what I can see of the unfinished edge of the windage turret base, they are an early form of investment casting....

Un-like my other B-4's this one has coated lenses- blue/violet coatings that aren't readily discernible unless a good light is used. This one has the heaviest cross-hair I've seen yet in a Weaver rimfire scope.

There ain't a mark on it- zero rust. The see through caps are slightly scratched- likely from being moved from one storage to another.

I'm pretty proud of myself- I wasn't even lookin for this, and it popped up. That's usually the way it goes with these old scopes- look for them, and they are scarcer than the proverbial hen's teeth. Pretend to ignore 'em, and they come crawlin outta the wood-work. I oughtta change my handle to Doc Weaver :p At least I got a magnet that attracts something I like and can afford! :wink:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
A "New" Magnet

Way to go Doc! They didn't build a lot of B4's with exposed turrets. The B4 didn't come out until the mid fifties, and the exposed turrets went away shortly after they came out, so I'd guess your's is a '54-'56 era.
I see some on occasion, but rarely in anything but average condition. Finding a really nice, early one is a great find! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
A "New" Magnet

I suspect there are more of these laying around just gathering dust since the 'real' Natty Bummpos ain't happy until they have Leica's version of the Hubble telescope firmly mounted on their new & improved, synthetic stock ultra mag mastadon whacker.

Ya done good!! :D SW

1 - 3 of 3 Posts