Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A "new" 30-30

I have noticed in recent weeks that this forum has consisted mostly of .35 threads and posts, which is OK -- anyone who has been around for the past 2 1/2 years knows that I am a yellow dog .35 fan. But yesterday I did something a little weird... while I own a 30-30 that I shoot sparingly, yesterday I bought anther. A straight gripped RC of "W" ventage (man, I just love those older straight grips).

I'll have to say that I'm as pleased as punch with it. The stock and forgrip need some help but that will come when I have time. The barrel and receiver are just right, though I need a sight hood with some patina. The bore is brilliant, the lock up is crisp and the action is about as smooth as I have ever worked.

I look forward to shooting it and passing it along to insure the noble 30-30 tradition.

So how about any of you? Bought a 30-30 lately?

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
A "new" 30-30

Sidespin, the last 30-30 I purchased was in October when I came across a NIB 30-30 336CB. I have gotten used to the longer barrel, and except for the very short length of pull, (for me) is a very exciting 30-30 to shoot. I have slugged, and lapped the barrel, and currently shoot 190gr. RCBS cast out of it with velocity and accuracy that is unusual for me in this caliber. My older 336SS is no slouch, but I shoot primarily jacketed reloads in it. The 336CB is my current plinker. I think I've plinked about 1000 rounds in it since I started. Too bad they had to quit production on this model. They needed to give it a little more time to catch on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
A new 30-30

Sidespin I just had a new Sharps built in 30-30. I have long and short leavers plus a Cowboy in 30-30. I shoot a lot of cast bullets and wanted a rifle built my way. Well I got it and does it shoot. Sometimes it pays to get what you want. Good Luck with yours >>Tombstone

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
A "new" 30-30

Sidespin-I would be hard pressed to find a more accurate gun than my 30-30 altho the 45-70 is close behind.It is a nail driver with factory ammo.I bought a new one several years ago and theres no comparison in accuracy to the old one.Have fun shootin your new gun.Jayco.

·
Registered
431 Posts
A "new" 30-30

I bought a nice 336A. Picked it up off lay-a-way last week. There is a somewhat sorry pic of it at the tail end of the thread, "Image Host?". I have a Redfield 1.75x5 on it now. Can't wait to shoot it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
A "new" 30-30

Hey Sidespin,
My father-in-law has my 30-30. It's a 1970 RC model. I'd like to get it back and park it next to it's brothers (35REM and M375). I would like to find and old 336A with the half mag in 30-30.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A "new" 30-30

Thanks for the replies gentlemen,

35hunter, that's not a bad pic! Those old A's are really neat. I have been looking for one in .35 for a long time. I'll find one some day and will be ready to pay a premium for it if need be.

Duckbill, you have a classic in that .375. Isn't that a great round?!

Dr. A, 1000 rounds? What kind of accuracy spread do you get with all the loads you have tried?

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
A "new" 30-30

The 30-30 The one and only. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
A "new" 30-30

I have a Marlin 336A in .30-30 with the long 24" barrel. It swings like a dream.

NH_Hunter

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
A "new" 30-30

I would like to and may someday get another :lol:

·
Registered
440 Posts
A "new" 30-30

Man I have a 336/35 RC made in '54 and just love the rifle. Since I got that rifle two years ago,I wanted and searched for another one my rifle has the ballard rifling and a tight bore , instead of the.360 micro grove. The action is as smooth as butter and groups better than the average 35 Rem.
I have been looking for something like it in 30/30with the ballard rifling.
Well two years later , and having even talked to Marlin about a straight gripped Marlin , I am one of few that likes the straight grip.
Marlin believes the buyer today want the pistol grip and you will notice that the 1894's are going to the pistol grip now too. The guide has a straight stock and I love the feel of this gun. Give us a 30/30 maybe a rerun of the 356 ER.

So finally last month I bought a 358W that I wanted . It is a browning model 81. ( they went back to the straight grip)
Last week my wife got her straight gripped 30/30. It is a model 94 AE winchester .
Now I would have bought two Marlins, but they will not make a 356W ER or the 30/30 CB 'cause they are not selling.
Well if they would advertise the rifes some where other than gun magazines that not every one reads , then the orders might have gone in before the thing was discontinued . When I wanted to buy the ER and the 30/30 I was told out of stock , discontinued - not enough sales.
Now if there was a stock pile of 336 built in the fifties,. I would be willing to bet , they would be sold quick. Every one that had one, and his brother , would want to buy another be it 35 or 30/30.
My .02 cents :) :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts