Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a ******* tech-tip:
My hunting buddy lost eyesight on his right eye. It's not easy to teach an ol' dog to sit- so he can't (or won't) shoot with a left hand rifle.
So i took a piece of 6 millimeter Dural and machined this mounting bracket

I drilled and tapped holes in lines 5 millimeters apart to make it adjustable for mounting the scope so it will fit perfectly sideways. For adjusteing height scope rings of different height can be used . After test shooting and making sure it worked i sent the plate of to have it anodized black.
Looks like this:

The scope need to be mounted longer forward than when you shoot with the right eye..

Now he is back in business :)

·
Registered
20,660 Posts
That is fabulous. You Sir are a true friend and Gentleman.

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Dansken,

That is a very cool and very honorable thing you did for a friend. My hat's off to you Sir, well done. Well done indeed.

:congrats:

:tee:

B

·
Premium Member
2,912 Posts
If I was you I do a patent search and maybe patent it.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Nice looking plate. Your friend will just have to concentrate on holding the rifle level. Any cant at all will really affect bullet placement.

·
Premium Member
12,538 Posts
Great work!

It's not all that hard to shoot a right handed rifle from the left shoulder though, just reverse everything from your normal shooting position. I shoot left handed pretty frequently.

·
Premium Member
6,514 Posts
Hey that's great I have a friend who can't shoot a barn wall from the inside. After taking a NRA pistol instructors course I learned how to test for dominant eye. He is left eye dominant and shooting right hand with his left eye. He shoots a 336 Texan 35R. so I told him to try and shoot left hand of course he is "63 Y/O" and couldn't do it. So in a spot I mounted see threw rings so he could have enough play to use his left eye shooting right hand. This worked good enough so he could hit a 6" paper dish at 30 to 40 yards more then a deer can be seen in the thick woods in NYS where we hunt. Well he was a happy hunter and still uses this setup. But do you make this for sale and if so can one be made for a 336 35R?
I also was thinking of a side mount for his situation.
T:hmmmm: NY

·
Administrator
23,826 Posts
I've seen a left eye dominate simply use an Iron Sighter mount and lay his head sideways.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.