Marlin Firearms Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
As one of the kids who inherited a large collection, please consider a few things. I needed to sell a majority of my dads stuff to help my mom out with bills and such. I kept everything that was sentimental but there was still a ton of things that were valuable but I just wasn’t interested in. I was 38 when my dad passed so I already had my own growing collection and simply did not have room to take care of that many toys.
Second, you are the expert at what you have. Also you know who else likes this sort of stuff and might be interested in buying.
I simply didn’t have the knowledge about the specific pieces I was left and had a terrible time determining value.
whether old Marlins, Winchester pump 22s or German Lugers or whatever you know far more about what you have than most others would.
Something that really helped me was listening to a few farmer friends talking about an auction they had gone to. The owner had passed and had a nice collection of old tractors. These were the ones that everyone used to talk about and want. Apparently they went for very low prices and a few didn’t even get a bid. One of my buddies said “you know, these young folks just aren’t interested in these old tractors like we were”
i remembered this and sold many M12 and A5s just before the bottom dropped out of that market.
Just something to think about. Something is only valuable if you have a buyer.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As one of the kids who inherited a large collection, please consider a few things. I needed to sell a majority of my dads stuff to help my mom out with bills and such. I kept everything that was sentimental but there was still a ton of things that were valuable but I just wasn’t interested in. I was 38 when my dad passed so I already had my own growing collection and simply did not have room to take care of that many toys.
Second, you are the expert at what you have. Also you know who else likes this sort of stuff and might be interested in buying.
I simply didn’t have the knowledge about the specific pieces I was left and had a terrible time determining value.
whether old Marlins, Winchester pump 22s or German Lugers or whatever you know far more about what you have than most others would.
Something that really helped me was listening to a few farmer friends talking about an auction they had gone to. The owner had passed and had a nice collection of old tractors. These were the ones that everyone used to talk about and want. Apparently they went for very low prices and a few didn’t even get a bid. One of my buddies said “you know, these young folks just aren’t interested in these old tractors like we were”
i remembered this and sold many M12 and A5s just before the bottom dropped out of that market.
Just something to think about. Something is only valuable if you have a buyer.
I disagree. Guns are not tractors. They will always be in demand and tractors are a very specialized market. Guns are not. A lot more people can afford to buy guns than tractors.
Lugers have been in demand since I can remember, and I can remember quite a ways back.
Knowing what a fair price for my guns were in 2019 will help my widow a long way in getting a fair deal and avoiding those land sharks.
Young people, old pharts, middle-aged people and all others love to buy and sell guns. Especially nice, well taken care of guns like those in a loving collection.
...and I will never...never...document what i paid for them in the data about them. That is just plain silly and a bad business practice.

Look at all the websites selling guns and then look at all the websites selling tractors. I will venture to say there are at least 500 times the number of people looking for gun deal more than tractor deals.

This is why I will create a list of what their fair prices will be.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I think his point is that there is an ebb and flow in interest. When something isn't "The Hot Thing" - you have to know the right brokers and be active in that particular collector community.

Honestly that's Ok for the rest of us though - as that is how some nice guns get back into circulation. I picked up a sweet Winchester 69 22lr here locally for a good price because somebody dumped a collection.... If it went into some fancy expensive auction - probably some collector would have got it and it would be sitting in an exhibit collecting dust....

·
Premium Member
10,531 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this very problem....................

MY niece and nephew (on MY side) are pretty much Liberals, and have NO interest in my firearms, and I don't think they really care about the monetary value of them (although, they have NO idea of that value, either)..............that's TOO bad for me!

My Nieces and Nephew on my late wife's side are NOT shooters and don't hunt................But they have permits, and like firearms* for their monetary value..................but that's TOO bad,.............for them!

*Their father fancies himself as a "Gun Collector" but he doesn't shoot or hunt, either............As I said, it's ALL about the Money!.............but I do suspect he "fondles" things a lot...........

I have some cousins that I hunt with, but they're almost MY age............one cousin has a son who is a great kid, and shooter/hunter, so he's firmly in the game...............

I really should thin things out, and get down to what I really use and enjoy...............

I have a list of all these things and current values, and I keep it up to date......I need to tell MY niece (executrix) where to find it, though..........

I plan on Cremation...........otherwise, I'd just order a "Double Wide Extra Deep " casket, with pegs and gun racks on each side, and and take'em all with me!

Tom

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
your Luger 1917 is pretty nice. i have a double date 1917 (1920) as well but mine isn't in as good a condition as yours. Mine's had its parts swapped about too. only 60% of my SN match.

I think making a firearm catalog like you're doing is a great idea. I have a spreadsheet with all mine...but having pictures would help the spouse tremendously. She wouldn't know a Ruger from a Marlin from a Savage.....etc.

Thanx for the ideas.

redhawk

Attachments

·
Registered
19,567 Posts
Plan on leavin’ what I have to my son and if he weren’t interested, I’ve got a couple family members and a few friends that would be!

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Most of you froggies were born already in the pot with the water heating up, so you don't know any different or better. All those firearms purchased before GCA '68 have an incalculable added value. No paper trail. For those of us who bought firearms in the 50's and 60's, we know better. We were there when they lit the fire under the pot. All the firearms you bought with 4473's are now Government property.

You may mean well, and are looking out for your descendants/survivors, but every time you write down, record, or catalogue a pre-68 weapon, you've exposed it to something illegal and unconstitutional. Remember what my Dad always said, "even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut".

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I feel sorry for you guys who have fire arms indifferent wives. Mine encourages me to get the collection I want. But I do need to think about what to do when the lord comes calling. I do know if you sell, whole collection buyers are wholesalers and do it to make a profit. Collectors only want the ones that fit there needs and sell off the rest, so they are looking for a good deal. Individuals that only want one or two are still looking for a deal. Nobody wants to pay retail, collectable price. Selling each piece off is a lot of work for a grieving family member indifferent or not. If you want it to move quickly it must be priced so. If you get a broker its easier on your next of kin but you still have his fee to pay. The only way to get what you want out of your firearms is to sell them individually your self before you kick the bucket. You know the market, the best place to find a buyer and a fare price is up to you. JMHO.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I'm in a situation where my son really isn't into shooting at all. So I have no one to really leave my stuff to. I'm not sure what to do when I'm not able to get out and enjoy all my rifles and hand guns that I do have now. I'll probably wind up selling them off and 7 were passed down from my grand father to my father and to me. I've still got to get the last 3 of them including a very nice Win original in 45-90.

·
Registered
13,176 Posts
I'm into similar situation. My son and grandson love to shoot targets with 22s but aren't into hunting. They are more into hi tech toys.
My brother has about as many guns as I do and his boy is my only nephew. I got nieces out the kazoo. I have all the family guns and those are the only ones I care about. I'm handing them out as family heirlooms to the younger in family that will keep them. The others are just guns and I will sell them off. The reason I ended up with the family guns, pocket watches and such were the elders wanted to have them kept in the family. I want to do the same. If I didn't have family to hand these down to I don't know what I would do. To others they are just a gun, like most I have. I guess I would sell them myself.

·
Registered
105 Posts
In the same boat. Mine are already logged with values in case the unexpected happens. I am now in the process of "thinning the heard". There are family members that want my firearms, but most of them I wouldnt trust with one. I believe most of them would sell them off anyway. So I'm selling off pieces one or two at at a time mostly on consignment at one of the local fun stores. When I'm finished with that I will have kept just what I know I'll be using. I don't hunt as much as I used to and the money goes right back into my "fun budget". Jeeps cost money.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts