Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent a question (below) to a Mate of mine that knows all about war & he has come back with "why we were there". We are both "Monty Python" John Cleese etc etc lovers so forgive his intro but you will get the picture.

Question: Hey Jimmy. I've been asking why the Anzacs invaded Turkey (Ottoman Empire) in WW1. I have no idea why we were there. I know you know everything war & could you give me a brief summary as why WW1 started & what it achieved. Cheers Bill.

I'll Try Not To Make This Too Long, Won't Be Easy.

Some Dick-Head Serb Shot The Austro-Hungarian King (& his wife) Dead. I'm Only Going On Memory Here But Here Goes. Austro-Hungary Said "Shnell We Will Invade Serbia Ya". I Think It Was Russia That Said, "Nnnnnyet, You Do This & We Will Invade You Sputnick". Germany Said, "9, You Do This Ooooont Ve Vill Invade You Dumbcoff". France Said, "Sacrablure, We Will Put Down Our French Sticks & Take Up Arms You Snouzers". Germany Said, "Svinehoonst, You Will All Die Then With Your French Poodles". England Said, "Turn It Up Old Chaps Were Getting Jolly Cross Here & May Have To Make A Show Of It Before The Frenchies Fry". All Of Germany Said,"Gottin Himmel, Vot Did You Say You English Kunnnnnigits. Vee Vill Be Arcktooning In Your General Direction". Anyway, Every Country In Europe (except $Switzerland$) Was Sucked Into These Treaties & Once The War Started It Was Called "The Domino Effect". Germany Has No Ocean Ports & Were Jealous of The World Trade Great Britain & France Were Doing, & Growing Stronger Every Day. That Was The Jest Of It. Austro-Hungary (separated after the war) Defended (& very well) Against The Russians In The East. Germany Made The First Move In The West & Invaded France. 4 Years In Hell Began.

Turkey, She Was One Of Germany's Allies. Churchill Was Head Of The British Naval Fleet (the biggest in the world) & Ordered About 5 Capital Ships To Blow Apart The Big Guns On Constantinople Knocking Them Right Out The War. Just Like Everything In This War It Was One Big Stuff-Up. They Knew The Battleships Were Coming & Heavily Mined The Straits, All Were Hit & Then Shelled Until They Surrendered. Churchill Was Kicked Out Of Politics For 15 Years. The British General Haig Ordered A Land Invasion Of Turkey. The Australian & New Zealand Troops Were Being Trained In Egypt To Go To France & Were Diverted To Turkey. They Were Supposed To Be Landed In A Nice Hilly Area, Advance Up & Around The Mountains & Fight Their Way Down To Constantinople. They Were Landed Pre-Dawn Miles From Where It Was Suppose To Be. Nothing But Cliffs As Far As The Eyes Could See. 800 Of Our Men From The First Wave Advanced Up The Cliffs. I Know This Bit, One Of Them Was My Grandfathers Older Brother. The Turks Were Holding The High Ground At First Light But Were Freaking Out & Some Were Fleeing. Just Then, At The Pivotal Moment, General Mustafa Kemal Appeared Getting His Men Under Control, Bullets Flew Around Him But He Ordered His Men Not To Fight But To Die For Him. The Anzacs Were Beaten Back With Great Loss Of Life On Both Sides. Our Soldiers Were Now Trapped For 9 Months On The Beaches. The British Were Landing A Relief Army At Suvla Bay, We Diverted The Turks By Attacking At Lone Pine (the end of the ozy Gallipoli movie, sad). It Worked, But The British Did Not Take The Initiative, They Had Only Hills In Front Of Them But There General Was To Scared & Late That Day They Were Trapped As Well. We Never Saw The Poms. We Left Silently One Night In A brilliantly Manoeuvred Retreat Onto The Ships (not one loss of life). Sand Slowly Filling Cans At Varying Interval's Would Fall & Pull The Trigger On Their 303's after they left. In 1926 General Mustafa Kemal Became Ataturk, Turkey's First President.

Grandpa's First Older Brother Died On The First Day, His Only Other Older Brother Died 2 Years Later In France (MIA horse drawn artillery). Grandpa Was Injured 7 Times & Suffered Shell-Shock Twice. This Second Bout Of Shell-Shock Must Have Been Bad, He Was Sent Home Half Way Through 1918. & What Did WW1 Achieve, I Wonder Why I Don't Have Many Relatives.

Anzac Day Next Year Will Mark 100 Years Since The First Day Of The Australian & New Zealand Invasion Of The Gallipoli Peninsula.
Hope This Answered a Your Question? Jimmy

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Could not have said it better myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts