Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, I don't even know where to start with this or how to ask but, here goes....

My next door neighbor is a disabled Vietnam vet who has suffered a heap of health issues for decades, some of which I am sure are related to his service. He had been feeling especially unwell for a couple of weeks before he finally went to the doctor. That was about three weeks ago. Long story short, he had (has) some very serious health issues that required major surgery, and because of his overall health, he was admitted to a long term rehab facility. He is expected to be there for six months.

My neighbor, who I will refer to as J, is basically all alone in life. His entire family is gone, J's parents and siblings all passed on well before their time. The only surviving relative is distant in more than one sense. She lives far away and they are not at all close, so he is basically alone.

J is a good guy who has had a lot of bad hands dealt to him. In spite of his adversities, he does a pretty good job of keep'n on trucking. I am planning on visiting him at the rehab tomorrow or Friday, which I'm sure will cheer him up a little bit. There is nothing worse than being alone for the holidays, except perhaps being alone in a rehab with half your innards cut out eating through a straw.

I would like to ask a very big favor from other vets, who are perhaps the only folks who I think can pull off this mission. There's a good chance J won't make it home in six months, It saddens me deeply that J is having to endure another setback alone. I do what I can, but I'm only one man. If any of his brothers-in-arms could find five minutes tomorrow (Thanksgiving day) to call him and wish him a happy Thanksgiving and a speedy recovery, I would consider it a huge favor, a debt I could not repay.

It's crazy, right? A stranger asking other strangers to cold call someone they don't even know. Well, here I am reaching out, hopefully not reaching out too far. I do not like asking people to do things for me, but at the end of the day it's not me I'm asking for. I just feel like I should try and do something for J, and this is all I could come up with.

If you are willing to support this mission, please PM me and I will PM you back with J's contact info at the rehab. As far as what to say, because I'm sure he will be wondering why he's getting calls, just say " Hi J, this is ........., I heard you were laid up and wanted to say happy Thanksgiving and get well soon. Think of it as a greeting card, over the phone. If he asks who put you up to this, just say "some guy named Scorpio on a gun forum. He will put 2 & 2 together. Honestly, I'd prefer it if he did not know it was me, because it's not the important part of this. I'm not looking for recognition, or anything else out of this. I just want to cheer up a friend and neighbor who has served our nation.

·
Registered
10,843 Posts
Prayers sent for J, tell him Thanks for his service,Have as good of a Thanksgiving as he can! Scorpio you are a good friend!!!

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Scorpio,
PM incoming this evening,, card in the mail tomorrow.
Guys, Let's fill his room with cards!

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
PM sent.

Reactions: cajun56 and scorpio

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
God Bless J and all of our wonderful Veterans during the Holidays and every other day of the year.May The Good Lord be with them all always,Amen.

·
Registered
19,549 Posts
Not a vet either, but would gladly drop him a line AND a card...the least I can do! PM inbound!

Reactions: scorpio

·
Registered
29,046 Posts
ca'jun didn't serve but my two older brothers and my oldest sister did. I would be proud to talk to your friend and wish him a Happy Thanksgiving! Pm me his number and address so I can send him a Christmas card also!

Thanks!

ca'jun56

·
Registered
942 Posts
Got your email, thanks

What was his rank and branch of service?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What was his rank and branch of service?
Army, don't know his rank but he served in the late 60's early 70's. IIRC. Honestly, I don't know much about his time in Nam. We are very friendly neighbors but not close. He doesn't really talk about Nam per say. It comes out occasionally in bits and pieces during the course of conversation. Man, you should have seen the look on his face, a big ear to ear grin when I showed him the NJ legal M16A1 clone I built with as many GI parts as I could get my hands on. He noticed immediately it didn't have the fun switch.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all, more responses than I anticipated. You guys are great!!!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
Called him this morning, we talked for a few. Nice guy, comes from a military family, dad, uncle and grandfather I think he said.
Hope it helps make his day.

RP

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Talked with James today. I Asked him about a guy from Tennessee with accent? He said right away "Randy" and then said I could understand every word he said. His Aunt is coming today to visit with him and bringing a care package. He is stuck in bed, but he can still talk and is sharp as a tack.

·
Super Moderator
15,478 Posts
Prayers Sent!!!!!

Reactions: cajun56

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
No luck getting through.

Reactions: cajun56
1 - 20 of 40 Posts