Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The daughter and I spent some quality time at the range today. While she was shooting the Marlin 783 22 mag I focused on the 450 (named the Elephant). I took all of my levers but started to concentrate on the big boy after I played with the rest. Still not where I need to be but having fun and getting better all the time. We hung out on the 100 yard range today so I was using scoped levers with 1.5 X 4.5 Bushnells.

A rest with a bit of texting from the bench ;D

Now getting serious with the 783 (Bushnell 3 X 9). iphone still not far or out of reach. ;D

A couple of targets from firing the Elephant.. Always get a flyer (me) after four decent shots.....

The Elephant: shooting 350gr Interlocks

It was breezy and about 85 degrees but overcast and pretty nice. All in all a great day at the range and best of all with my best shooting partner. ;D

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
1895 Gunner,

The more I see your ported beauties the more I want to add a .450 ported to go along with my 444P.

I've decided on .450 and not 45-70 just to keep a little less GOVERNMENT out of my life.

Been thinking of trading my 444SS or selling it.

The more I shoot 444P the closer I'm attached to it.

It seems to fit tighter than OJ's glove.

Shoot Strait

mckmain

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mckmain80,

They are just soooo much fun to shoot! My all-time hunting rifle will likely be my 444P but then I like them all. As one poster said, "don't know how you get past the sensory sensation with all the big bore ported Marlins". Aside from hunting I find they all have to travel with me when I go to the range because they get jealous if I don't shoot them too.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eli Chaps said:
Too funny Scott, almost a mirror image of my day yesterday (well minus the snow). My daughters are never far from their phones. ::) ;D
Erik, I was looking for pictures but didn't see any in your post from yesterday. Sounds like you had a great time though. I really missed the boat not having the kids go to the range over the last couple of years but I'm making up for that now. It's a blast and they really seem to enjoy it. Our son is married and busy but occasionally joins in and we have fun.

When's it going to warm up out there?

·
Contributing Member
11,645 Posts
1895Gunner said:
Erik, I was looking for pictures but didn't see any in your post from yesterday. Sounds like you had a great time though. I really missed the boat not having the kids go to the range over the last couple of years but I'm making up for that now. It's a blast and they really seem to enjoy it. Our son is married and busy but occasionally joins in and we have fun.

When's it going to warm up out there?
Kid didn't email me the pics. ::)

So I posted this thread today to try to make up for it. ;D

http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php/topic,89422.0.html

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Great groups you have going there Gunner! Good shooting bro! Oh and don't take this the wrong way as I say this from a fathers stand point, but your daughter is simply beautiful! She reminds me of my little blondie. Us dads have to keep a close eye on our young ladies! I have two I gotta watch! I always show the boyfriends my guns when they come over! ;D It's a good thing you are showing her how to properly handle a firearm if you know what I mean! ;)

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the kind comments LA! Funny thing is there have been way more visitors to my shooting bench since my daughter has been going with me. Don't think they haven't also noticed the big bore Marlins, and lots of them. :) ;) :D ;D

We do need to keep a watch out for our daughters.

gunner

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Scott ... your daughter looks like a fine young lady. I really enjoy the posts that show members sharing their passion for lever guns with family, friends, and curious shooters at the range. It is great to see you have this kind of a relationship with your daughter. Oh by the way ... she just texted me saying you are considering using one of her targets for the Postal Match ... not fair my friend ::) ;D.

bjm

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bigjeepman said:
Scott ... your daughter looks like a fine young lady. I really enjoy the posts that show members sharing their passion for lever guns with family, friends, and curious shooters at the range. It is great to see you have this kind of a relationship with your daughter. Oh by the way ... she just texted me saying you are considering using one of her targets for the Postal Match ... not fair my friend ::) ;D.

bjm
That's funny Doug, some of hers have been better than mine too. Only problem is I'm not shootin no .22 cal. All mine are .429 dia. or bigger.... ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Headed back to the range in the morning, gunna play some more with the elephant. The daughter is gunna keep practicing with the coyote (783).

Hope everyone is practicing with the postal match targets....... ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got back to the range this morning with the daughter and had another great day but......................... While firing my 5th shot in my group on the target below my new Bushnell scope died. The glass just separated with some glass just floating around inside. ::) Still sealed but dang, never would have thought it would have come apart like that. I know Ranch Dog and many others have had good luck with em. I have em on my 444P and 1895G also with no problems so far. They both have a couple of thousand rounds through them. I did just lower them all with Weaver Quad Lock rings.

I'll try calling Bushnell up to see what they say.

Still had fun with my other rifles... So did the daughter! After my scope broke we moved to the 50 yard range for more fun with Marlins. A couple without scopes and she enjoys the 50 yarder for shooting the 22 mag 783.

All in all still a good day at the range. Are you all practicing with your postal match targets? Still have a while to get tuned up before you need to get em mailed in.

Enjoy, 1895Gunner

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Nice shooting grasshopper ....... hmmmm I think I'm going to have to start practicing ;D

Sorry to hear about the scope, if this is the one you bought recently, I'm sure Bushnell will replace it.

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
2shotal said:
Nice shooting grasshopper ....... hmmmm I think I'm going to have to start practicing ;D

Sorry to hear about the scope, if this is the one you bought recently, I'm sure Bushnell will replace it.
Hey buddy, there was an archery shoot at the range today. If you bring your target with ya when you come up to the Southeast MarlinOwners Shoot I'd say you definitely could use that area as well.....

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Thanks .... I'll definitely bringing it ..... Since I bought the bow a couple of months ago, I've not shot it past 26 yards and I want to see how well it will do at 30-40-50 yards b4 the hunting season. As you have seen from the pictures, I'm very comfortable shooting it at 26 yards, but because the bow is set for 52 lbs. draw, I don't think I will try to shoot a deer past 35-40 yards.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts