Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Awhile back (about 2 and a half month ago), I picked up a used Marlin 30-30 lever action. I found the "JM" stamp, and the serial number started with"14XXXXXX". It didn't have the "bullseye" in the buttstock, so I assumed it was a bargain model. The price being $325 ad it being in really good shape, I decided to buy it. Upon closer inspection, once I got it home, I found that it was stamped (on the left side of the barrel) THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO.-North Haven, CT, USA; Mod C3030 Micro-groove barrel- cal 30/30 Win.

I expected to find some "house brand" stamp on it, but the only one was the Marlin stamp.

The thing that throws me is the model designation Of C3030. I imagine it is based on a 336, but wondered if anyone else has seen one of these so marked.

The rifle has a 20" barrel, brass bead front sight dovetailed into the barrel, crossbolt safety, gold trigger, sling swivels (probably after-market) using a magaine tube clamp front mount and the standard rear screw on the buttstock, and it was wearing a low-priced 4 power scope in Weaver-style bases and rings.

Thanks for any information.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
It's a 1986 built Marlin 30-30. Mod C3030 is also new to me. If it's in good order you got a bargain.

Cheers,
Mark.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The C3030 is similar to a Marlin 30AS (or the last of the Glendfields; the 30AS). You remember how Montgomery Wards called their version "Western Field" 33, EMN 740 A, and 737, Sears called them J.C. Higgins 45, JC Penney called theirs the 3040, Big 5 had the 3000, Cotter & Company had the West Point 33, OTASCO had the 3030, 3079, 3080 all the way to 3087 (1987) and Western Auto called theirs the 'Revelation' 200-2550 and 200-2554. Well, Coast to Coast hardware stores called theirs the C3030.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info N578MD. The thing that threw me was that there is no house brand stamping on it--Just "Marlin". Figured that it was a "bargain model". Many years ago I purchased a "Coast to Coast Hardware Model 660 Master Mag" shotgun, and it is so marked. In reality, it is a Mossberg 500.

This 30-30, which is my first in that caliber, (but far from my first lever gun), seemed to be in outstanding shape, especially for being nearly 30 years old. I haven't shot it yet, but hope to soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts