Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago my Father and I made a trip to Kentucky to remove some of his deceits Brother's guns from his house. My Uncle Rayburn Gabbard at one time had a huge collection of firearms. None of the family knew that he had sold or gave away over 60 guns before passing. Any way his wife was always frightened of guns, so My Father and his younger Brother purchased what was left. One of Dad's purchase's was a Colt Woodsman Match Target. I was especially happy about that one because my Father had one just like it. Dad was on the US Navy shooting team and traveled a lot competing. Dad had many trophy's, Statues and badges from his compilations. Sadly to say I broke most of them as a child playing with them. He always had great story's of places he traveled to shoot. One of my fondness memories as a child was the first time I shot a pistol. It was his Colt Woodsman Match target. We where station in Hawaii at the time. I was about 4 years old and Dad helped me hold it as I shot it. Why do I remember this because, as he was helping me hold the gun it bit him pretty good in the web of his hand. Any way he bought his Brother's gun and it has Herrit grips that are broken and we would like to replace them. I googled some sites and have found that Colt had several variations of the Match target. Dad's is a six inch barrel model with a serial number of 112344x. Can anyone tell what generation or series this gun is. I would say this gun is around 80 percent or better. From what I have seen on Gunbrokers and other auction sites this gun is pretty valuable and worth spending $100.00 FOR A SET OF GRIPS. If anyone can provide some imfo. it will be very much appreciated. THANKS GABBY.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
Gabby, everything you wish to know about the Colt Woodsman can be found here...22 caliber rimfire semi-auto Colt pistol: .22 calibre Colt Woodsman This web site, along with a wealth of other information for handgunners, can be found in the sticky at the top of this Handguns Section.

Recheck that serial #...does it have an "s" prefix or suffix.

First and third generation Woodsmen have a heel magazine release. Second series has a button behind the trigger guard on the left side of the frame like a 1911. The rest of the distinquishing features and the dates of production of the various series are well explained by Mr. Rayburn.

Roe

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dad said there was something else there but could not read it. At 83 years old his eye sight is better than mine. Guess I'm going to have to get one of them big magnifying telescopes to read it myself .Thanks for the links. I will give an update when I can. Thanks again for the imfo.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Barenjager, for the imfo. It appears to be a 2nd generation made from 1947 thru 1955. Dad said his brother purchased the gun in 1940's. Uncle Rayburn shot completion with it at the Bluegrass Sportsmans League. This is high class shooting range that my Grandfather helped establish. Grandpa Harm Gabbard was the President of the pistol range. Here are some pics, I'm glad to add this one to my collection. I'm looking for some new grips. tn 2.jpg tn.jpg tn  3.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts