Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a grocery store down here in Orlando, for anyone familiar with Florida there are drainage and retention ponds everywhere due to the high water table. Rather than staring at my phone during my lunch breaks I figured i'd break out one of the rods from my truck and kill time outside.
I rigged a Manns blue currytail worm whacky rigged on a "whacky jig" head. I lost her on one break and decided i'd sacrifice next days lunch and see if i could tempt her to strike. She did.
10253752_10202569026279864_734615513217862126_n.jpg
this pond is about the size of a baseball field, heres the best picture i have of the "hole"
1480548_10201474393354725_1403642449_n.jpg

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
That's awesome!

We used to have a place in Mt Dora and I may have fished 100 lakes between our place on Lake Dora and Orlando and probably still didn't hit'em all.

Mann's Jelly Worms are the bomb! I used to use a lot of grape and lime MJWs down there with great success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Outdoor Forums mobile app

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Way to go. That's way better than staring at a screen!! Good for you young man.

Reactions: Catherine

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
That's the best way to keep those fingers busy. Look at what you caught and I bet you didn't miss a thing on the screen.

·
Banned
651 Posts
Nice!! Looks like he may have given you quite a fight. :tee:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Excellent! Now get that fly rod and some poppers to work on those lunkers. (A Wooly Bugger would also drive 'em crazy.)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Give it a shot. Its not really as pricey as it looks. There are tons of good lower cost beginner outfits. Look through the fly fishing post a few down. So far I've had a blast.

·
Premium Member
15,451 Posts
Nice catch and a great way to spend lunch

·
Premium Member
12,175 Posts
Living here in Florida all of my life I have also fished in some small ponds that had some nice size fish in them. There is one across the road from my house that is loaded with nice bass. I never learned to fly fish either but have tied light line to a cane poll and used a fly that way and it is a blast. You should try it some time in that pond and you will catch brim and bass.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I work at a grocery store down here in Orlando, for anyone familiar with Florida there are drainage and retention ponds everywhere due to the high water table. Rather than staring at my phone during my lunch breaks I figured i'd break out one of the rods from my truck and kill time outside.
I rigged a Manns blue currytail worm whacky rigged on a "whacky jig" head. I lost her on one break and decided i'd sacrifice next days lunch and see if i could tempt her to strike. She did.
View attachment 112820
this pond is about the size of a baseball field, heres the best picture i have of the "hole"
View attachment 112821
Sweet!

Thank you for sharing.

Cate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts