Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the proud new owner of the second rifle I have ever owned, a Marlin 30 AS in 30-30. I recently acquired it used from a local shop and have not had the time to get it to the range yet. At the shop I was careful to inspect the bore (very clean with no pits or dings at the crown) and the action. Judging by the slight scuffs on the stock and scars from rough carry with a sling, this rifle has seen the field a few times. I did note before purchase that the rear leaf has been adjusted left (for windage?). I assumed this was either accidentally tapped out of center or perhaps an idiosynchratic adjustment on the part of the last owner. My real fear now that I've got it home and am cleaning and oiling it is that perhaps there is some basic defect in the accuracy of the gun. Now, I know there is no way to prognosticate based on this little info alone without actually firing some groups (if it will indeed group), but I really don't want to go thru the misery of tuning and tweaking the one lemon Marlin in Western NC. My first rifle was a 1955 336RC in 30-30 and very accurate every time I had the pleasure of firing it, thus there was no need (I thought) to learn about adjusting the old semi-buckhorn sights. Anybody out there have any advice as to how to proceed? I've been looking into peep sights and ghost rings to replace the originals anyway, but, here again, I don't want to go through the trouble and expense if there's an indication that it will not be worth it. Any replies would be welcomed...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think it's a little too early to panic. There is really nothing to do but take the rifle out, and shoot it. Get a good rest, some sandbags, and see how the thing shoots. You can speculate indefinitely about why the rear sight is set where it is, but the only way to really answer your question is to shoot it.

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
The 30AS was a truck gun. Thats what they were made for. Ive beat the snot out of mine, and until I sold it, it was my second fav rifle (next to my 45-70).

Go and shoot the poogies out of it, then get back to us

·
Registered
385 Posts
I say this if you have a spare scope at least a 6x buy a mount and some cheep'e yep I said cheap rings and give it a try! I bet you will like how your Marlin Shoots!
Now shoot a three rather than a five shot group as this is a hunting rifle no need to be formal,( Barrel heat sucks) This is just to see how well it shoot's I bet it will be a honest 1.5'' at 100 yrd's gun, once you find the right load for it ya I said right load too lol.
Then you can put your peep sight on it and see how well your eys and sight's work. I do like peep sight's but I have never ever been able to out shoot my scope sighted guns,
Not to say the peep or open is bad they work well the peep is better though but for me I like a 2.5 or 4x Glass sight.
Every gun is Different so yo will have to work up some loads or try at least 5 different types of FL ammo to find that sweet spot. Then the diff might only be 1/2'' but it means you won :eek:

·
Registered
385 Posts
JBledsoe said:

Don't be such a pessimist. If you expect to fail, you will.
Ya something like that! Does Marlin make a gun that is not Deer MOA at 150yds?

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owners! Seems like a lot of the new folks are getting their screen names off eye exam charts!! You might consider that the previous owner might have taken a scope off and just beat the original sight back on the rifle haphazardly so it would be there. Take a drift and hammer to the range when you go and see how it rips. Just move it in the direction you want your shots to go. Have fun. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the support and replies, y'all! I am really excited to get out there and see what this rifle will do! Quite right about the pessimism, btw. I know I'll be grinning with every shot. :)

I really appreciate the warm welcome and will let you know how it goes...

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
68Glenfield said:
Does Marlin make a gun that is not Deer MOA at 150yds?
Yeah my model 60 ::) :eek:

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Yeah, quit yer yapping and give us a range report, already. If you don't have one by Monday we will heckle you ;D

We picked up a .30-30 336 for my buddy a couple months ago that was made in the early 70's. It was a GADNR (Georgia Dept. of Natural Resources) turn-in rifle. I'm guessing they "upgraded" to AR-15s or whatever, because I don't understand why they'd sell perfectly good 336s. Sure they had some character, but most of the metal was in great shape, bores good, etc. There were like 15 of 'em for sale all listed for around $200. Anyway, the one we picked up had a similar off-drift rear sight. He took it to the range and fired it...printed off center to one side. He drifted the sight to the center, and the target printed dead center. Good stuff. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work that way for you, though. There are variances in ammo types....but basically being a little off to the left or right can happen yet nothing is really wrong. Sometimes it can be something about the way the previous owner used it. Everyone has their own unique zero on a rifle with iron sights due to differences in the way one positions their head/eye.

·
Premium Member
2,334 Posts
Take the gun to the range and shoot it first. You looked at everything you could before you bought the gun. Shoot it and see if the groups are together not necessarily in the bulls eye. You didn't say if you were using reloads or factory. If your using factory ammo buy some different brands in the same grain bullet and shoot three shot groups letting the barrel cool down between groups. It will tell you what ammo it likes the best. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
miatakix said:
Yeah, quit yer yapping and give us a range report, already. If you don't have one by Monday we will heckle you ;D

We picked up a .30-30 336 for my buddy a couple months ago that was made in the early 70's. It was a GADNR (Georgia Dept. of Natural Resources) turn-in rifle. I'm guessing they "upgraded" to AR-15s or whatever, because I don't understand why they'd sell perfectly good 336s. Sure they had some character, but most of the metal was in great shape, bores good, etc. There were like 15 of 'em for sale all listed for around $200. Anyway, the one we picked up had a similar off-drift rear sight. He took it to the range and fired it...printed off center to one side. He drifted the sight to the center, and the target printed dead center. Good stuff. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work that way for you, though. There are variances in ammo types....but basically being a little off to the left or right can happen yet nothing is really wrong. Sometimes it can be something about the way the previous owner used it. Everyone has their own unique zero on a rifle with iron sights due to differences in the way one positions their head/eye.
Maybe the off center rear sight is just the previous owner's built in lead for wing shooting.
Also, you made a typo; "I'm guessing they "upgraded" to AR-15s ", That should have read "downgraded". ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
JBledsoe said:
Maybe the off center rear sight is just the previous owner's built in lead for wing shooting.
Also, you made a typo; "I'm guessing they "upgraded" to AR-15s ", That should have read "downgraded". ;D ;D
Hence the quotation marks, my friend, was a little tongue in cheek there ;D

·
Premium Member
11,586 Posts
blklgthj,

There is a GOOD chance the rifle will shoot to the LEFT or RIGHT now, due to the skewed rear sight, and you'll need to adjust it to "center"...............

I say this, because both sights are on the barrel, and to have a rear sight as far to one side as you describe , would mean the bore doesn't follow the center of the barrel..........and that is highly NOT POSSIBLE!

Examine the front sight carefully...............if all appears to be centered and correct, center the rear sight and go to the range............I think then, you'll be just about where you need be with the sights.

Oh, Welcome to Marlin Owners.............Some others may have sounded a little rough on you, with their reply, but I think that was because you were "anticipating" a problem with NO real data to support your worries.........

There are NO Dumb Questions in Life, but sometimes................we all think we're hearing one. ::)..............That's our fault for not putting ourselves in the others (your) place for a moment........

Now, get off the computer, and go to the Range! ;D ;D

Tom

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Range report, by popular request... :)
I tapped the rear sight to center and went to a private range in the sticks today!
At 25yds a group of 3 150gr Win. Powerpoints were dead on with no measurable variance in POI. At 50 yds. I measured .25" groups of 3 with the same loads. I also tried groupings of 3 with some 125gr Federal hollow points at 25yds and had no measurable variance here again. Oh, by the way I used 4-corner targets that the range owner supplied.
Wow! I love this gun! My dad instilled an appreciation of leverguns in me and, more specifically Marlin leverguns. I am so hooked--my wife has officially labelled me nuts...

Thanks again to all you folks for your responses and a great intro to MO, I really appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
blklghtj said:
Range report, by popular request... :)
I tapped the rear sight to center and went to a private range in the sticks today!
At 25yds a group of 3 150gr Win. Powerpoints were dead on with no measurable variance in POI. At 50 yds. I measured .25" groups of 3 with the same loads. I also tried groupings of 3 with some 125gr Federal hollow points at 25yds and had no measurable variance here again. Oh, by the way I used 4-corner targets that the range owner supplied.
Wow! I love this gun! My dad instilled an appreciation of leverguns in me and, more specifically Marlin leverguns. I am so hooked--my wife has officially labelled me nuts...

Thanks again to all you folks for your responses and a great intro to MO, I really appreciate it!
Good going, and congrats!

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Sweet. Congrats on a finding a good rifle :)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
blklghtj said:
MARLINITIS INFECTS ANOTHER ONE!!!!
The next stage of the disease will be figuring out how to sneak more in the house!
;) ;) ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts