Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The only reason I bring this upp is the fact like most of us I can't afford to shoot factory ammunition. So I reload that being said next to the black stuff what is the most economical powders and ones that work in the .45-70.
So far the only powders to be had locally are Trail boss, Imr 4064 which I bought the only 2 lbs of. Vetouri or something I have never eve heard of. And my handgun powder Clays. The problem is if things get worse I have no clue what powders I could get other than what I have so that limits to Imr 4064 which I only find one load with a stupid jacketed bullet I only load cast bullets. Is there other data? I have the Lyman 49th edition but find little support with cast bullets not in a trapdoor?:questionmark:

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am loading H and IMR 4198 and it seems in reading a fair amount in the reloading section that those are desirable powders along with maybe Reloader powders. I am very new to reloading so not much experience here. Seems like those powders will get you most any velocity you'd want to shoot cast bullets at. Lots of folk like the Trail Boss or Unique but I have not come across any to try.

Mop

Reactions: cds4570

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Trail Boss will be a pleasant load in 45-70 if you can get that. Its a powder for reduced power loads as I understand it. A lot of SASS/CAS shooters use it...

Good Luck
BloodGroove4570

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alliant Reloder 7. It's all you need to know.
Just to be clear I haven't seen half or more of the powders I would like to use. Varget being the most sought after I think? And given I shoot the 5.56mm as well and will be relaoding for that is well I need one powder I can use for either. So that about rules out trailboss I am sure.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
cds4570,

Your in a tough time to get powders and your possibly just stuck with powders that can safely make your firearm go bang and the fact that it may not be optimum in a given rifle.

Personally I didn't find 4064 to be much good in my 45/70. I soon left on the shelf in favor of others, but it may work fine in your rifle.

H335 is my go to powder with my cast 465gr bullet, but as has been stated, RL7, 3031, 4198 and H332 are good possibilities.

The problem with load data for the 45/70 is not that it is hard to find, but rather that there is a huge amount of that data. From Mild to Wild.

FORGET going for warp velocities!!!!!!

Use a good Wide Flat Nose (WFN) cast bullet of over 400gr. at a velocity in the range of 1200 - 1700fps and it will take down anything your ever likely to hunt.

I'm shooting a RUGER #1, but my go to load is not even a top Marlin load with the 465gr WFN and H335 at about 1650fps. That load is awesome on deer and elk!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
My go to powder is AA 5744 undr a cast bullet, Trail Boss is good stuff too, fine for target work but in my opinion a little anemic for hunting. 5744 will produce loads ranging from comfortable to "What was I thinking?"
I like both powders because they are very bulky and do a wonderful job of filling the cavernous 45-70 case. 5744 will leave unburned grains in your bore, but they have no affect on accuracy and swab right out.
GH1:)

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Varget being the most sought after I think?
I don't recall anyone mentioning Varget much in the past year I've been on the forum. I understand it's a good powder, just never seen it in the store or read anything about anyone using it.

There are a LOT of powders suitable for the .45-70. They go all the way from slow "freight train" kind of loads to pretty much anything your shoulder can stand............and even higher if you care to use jacketed bullets and a shoulder pad. I've found great success with H-322, IMR3031, IMR4759, 2400, Trail Boss and Unique. The main thing is what I was told when I first got here and couldn't find powder............................"just be patient". Carry a card with you at all times of the powders you'd like to try and refer to it when you stop in at your LGS. Call around weekly and ask if any of the local gun stores have any of those powders. Sooner or later you will build an inventory, as most of us have done. (mine is particularly small, but growing)

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
I'm kinda a one powder guy and therefore I keep a bunch on hand. My big bore powder is H-4198 for light and heavy. It may not be the best but it's mine and I like it. On top of that I know how to use it.

There have been many great examples provided on this thread but H-4198 is widely available at gun shows that I attend. Go getcha some......

1895gunner

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Yep, 5744 Is another good one for a bunch of cast bullet loads, but also one which is likely hard to come by. That powder is on my, "to buy" list, but -------------------

CDOC

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
PB is on mine, CDOC..................but I've never seen it on the shelf and rumor has it it's been discontinued..........or will be soon. Wish I could get my hands on a couple of 8lb containers before they do.

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Chris mentioned "J" bullets for heavy loads, but I can guarantee you can have more then a hand full with many cast bullet loads.

I know this is a much lighter bullet, one which didn't provide the consistency or groups I desired, but I fired a bunch of 355gr cast at 2300 to just over 2500fps with no leading issues and they do recoil right smartly. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Loaded up some cast bullets, "Mastodon slayers" sent me by a nice guy on the Cast Boolets forum, and these bad boys are about 550gr.

Guess I need to try again as I loaded them up to brighten up the day of some friends and they turned out to be much to do about nothing.
Maybe need to boost that load by 30 - 40 gr or light it off with a healthy starter charge of Bullseye, maybe 10gr or so. :ahhhhh: :shot: :ahhhhh: :flute:

CDOC

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Yup, CDOC, I've some of Doc's 550 gr "Mastodon slayers" as you call 'em. I hear tell that loaded up with a high velocity in mind will either make you cry, or roar like a testosterone filled Grizzly Bear! (wouldn't know.............haven't had time to work up a load with them yet.)

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
AA2015 is what I've been using and it has worked great. It's pretty much H322

·
El Kabong
8,333 Posts
Reloader 7 & IMT4895 for modern

Holy black only for trapdoors and all the rest of the 45/70s

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
My go to powders for 45-70 are H322, IMR-3031 and 2400...... I sure would like to have had some of that IMR-4064 today while loading for the 300 Savage... Had to use up some of my IMR-3031 for it.

Doc

1 - 20 of 28 Posts