Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a "head's up" to those of you coming here to check out the 444. At the top of the 444 forum you will notice a section for "stickeys". The nearest one to the bottom is the "one humongous stickey". Go there first and read the technical data,historical data, and articles written on the 444. They will answer a lot of your questions.

I notice a lot of people choose a 444 because they already shoot 44 caliber revolvers. The common thought here seems to be: "I already make cast bullets for my revolver, so I won't have to buy new bullet molds." This line of thought may be valid and may not.

If you have molds that drop bullets designed by J.D.Jones,Viril Smith, or Ranch Dog, you may be ok with that line of thinking depending on what size the "as cast" bullet diameter is. BUT, if you have a boat load of molds that are made to drop Keith designed bullets you definitely need a "heads up" . If you load those bullets in a 444 case and crimp in the crimp groove your COL (cartridge overall length) will not work for the throats in the Marlin rifles. To get these bullet designs to work you would have to seat them deep and crimp over the driving band. This causes all kind of deviations to the internal ballistics of the cartridge and takes up much needed powder space. Even when doing that you still may not get the results you're after if the bullets are too small in diameter.

Most microgroove barrels on the Marlins need bullets sized to .432 to give you their best groups. Do youself a favor and buy some new bullet molds. In the long run you'll be glad you did. When you have the right tool for the job things always go smoother. With the present problems finding reloading componants, brass, and primers ; a person has enough to deal with without having the frustration of dealing with the added burden of bullets designed for a different application. It does expand your line of molds but they are still 44 caliber and most will work with the rifles in revolver calibers such as the Marlin 1894 in 44 magnum.

Once you have your 444 in hand you will want to slug the bore and find out the size bullet you will need to cast to work in that bore. Then don't forget to aquire an appropriate sizer die to go with it.

If I could only afford one mold for my 444 It would be a 290 grn. with a gas check. I would be confident using it on any North American animal and still get good velocity for disruption of the central nervous system for stopping power. I have some real heavyweights but they are for bigfoot, black helicopters, and UFO's.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I'll second the motion to make this a sticky. I know that many folk start with misunderstandings about the use of handgun/revolver bullets in their 444.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Not to be a contrarian, but isn't most of the above listed info already in a sticky? If they're not being read now, what's adding another going to do?

·
Registered
233 Posts
No, Bigfoot's are cool..... I run I to them all the time in Helen Georgia and other remote parts of the Georgia Appalachians.

You can't kill them but they can kill you easily if they wanted to.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
:hmmmm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.