Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to let you all know of a great knife maker and a one heck of a good guy over in Portland, Oegon.

As some of you may recall, our elk camp was torched last year and we lost our entire hunting set up except our rifles & pistols and the clothes on our backs. Among the items lost was a knife, a Western fixed blade, that I have had since high school back in 1973 or 1974. I looked it up in an old catalog from 1973 and it cost $8.99 at that time. It was pretty much priceless to me.

I found the knife in the debris, totally shot to heck, handle burnt off and just a piece of rusty steel. This really bummed me out because of all the salmon, trout, crappie, catfish, deer, elk and a bear that the knife & I had shared over the years. Dang near cut my finger off with it while cleaning a salmon. Still carry the scar. That sucker sure held an edge! Best knife I ever owned.

I had hoped to pass this knife on to my grandson when he was old enough to appreciate it for what it was. Really bummed me out.

Well....for some reason I hung on to it rather than toss it in the scrap heap.

I talked to a local knife maker that was at the gun show at the Expo Center back in March and told him my story. He said to bring it by his shop and he'd take a look at it. He is a bow hunter and understood how a guy gets attached to his gear.

Well he took the knife and retempered it and it looks dang near like new! Just a little pitting from the fire which adds some character. Not only did he bring my knife back to life, he also gave me some iron wood and cocobolo wood for the handle. All this for only $20! The dang blade still had an edge on it!

This guy was awarded the "New Knife Maker of the Year" award last year at the Eugene show and got 2 more awards this year. I've seen his work & it is fantastic.

His name is Alan Warren.

I'll be thinking of Alan every time I use it. He's now part of the story of "The Knife".

Alan.............Thanks man.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hog King, mighty glad you got your "old friend" back from the knifemaker, even though a bit worse for wear. . I too, have certain gear that's been with me since I was a kid, and I'd hate to lose it.

You said your camp was "torched." Do you mean "arson??" Someone diliberately burned up your camp??

Or was it an accident (hopefully). Once when I was a kid, camping with two friends near a lake in Arkansas, our campfire got away from us and burned some of our stuff... and six acres of cheat grass.

If it were arson, surely hope the cops caught the cretins who did it.

L.W.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leanwolf:

Yep, I meant "torched" as in some lowdown piece of crap burned us out. Don't know who. Not sure that I want to know who did it.

"Revenge is mine, saith the Lord".

Now I'm not a religous fellow by any means, but maybe in this case I'll go with what the "Good Book" says.

But if you ever run across some guy in the woods who's tied to a tree with molasses and bacon grease dumped all over him, you'll know he's a camp arsonist!

·
Registered
363 Posts
"Revenge is mine, saith the Lord".

Hmmmm. I always thought it said, "Revenge Is Great Therapy!"

Arson. That's a shame! But i too, know there are some real criminals out in the woods. Opportunity abounds for sh!theads like that.

Was that in Washington State??

L.W.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In WA and OR, the ELFs ALFs and Greeners pull some damn distructive stunts. Couple years ago, they were going around slashing tires during hunting season. One guy got caught....they took his clothes and left him in the woods. They didn't try too hard to catch the hunter that did it :twisted:

Hog King.....have you found some wild hogs down there somewhere??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey leanwolf....yes that happened in Washington State last October 31st. I think I posted the story on this board.

Tubby....Nope, no wild hogs. Just a name laid on me from the glory days of the Buoy 10 salmon season at the mouth of the Columbia. The closest thing to a hog was the javelina that I took down in New Mexico this past February.

You know, this forum and the old Marlin Talk forum are about the 2 best outdoor forums on the internet. People here are right friendly, helpful, courteous and respectful. I've seen other forums where they tear the hide off each other over nothing. I don't think there's a single one of you fellers that I wouldn't sit around a campfire with.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hog King, thanks for that info. Sure enough, you did post about it last Fall. I did a search and saw it, in fact, I'd responded to your unfortunate loss.

Damn, I hate anyone who'd do that.

Too bad the criminal(s) was never caught.

L.W.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts