Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Marlin 1895 45-70 to the Range today for the first time. 68 degrees, very little wind. Here are a few pics!

The above picture is the main building at Scotia Range, Centre County PA. The State Game Commission operates this Range.

The above photo is my range setup. I bought a sighting scope from Optics Planet a month ago and this is the first time I took a Range picture with it included.

This is a closer shot of the shooting table and my 45-70.

I shot some Winchester 300 grain and some 400 grain reloads. As everyone has related previously, this baby has a kick, and the 400 grain can be down right painful! Fortunately, I have enough of the winter lard on and I am not worse for wear. I only shot 5 times and had a decent open sight group. With the price of ammo, I put away the 45-70 and plunked away on my Winchester Model 94 for awhile. What a great day!

Now folks, I did not have the results that our buddy Marlin just posted, but considering this was the first time I ever shot a 45-70, not bad.

A day at the Range is better than a day at work! (Even though I'm unemployed!)

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
13,991 Posts
Nice set-up! Looks like a beautiful day to shoot a 45-70 (but then most days are!).

Reactions: miket156

·
Registered
7,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, as I mentioned in my Post, the 45-70 has a nice punch. Even the target paper had a big hole in it! I would not want to be on the receiving end of that round!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: rlm1 and Survivor99

·
Banned
303 Posts
Down here in Texas today it was hot and windy, but the morning at the range was still a good time. The wind doesn't seem to have too much effect on a 400 grain bullet. Anyway, a bad day at the range is better than a good day at work. I shot some nice 100 yd. groups with iron sights. I'll post pics when I figure out how to do it. As a computer geek, I'm a great rifle shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts