Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call as soon as I walked in the door from work tonight! A friend had been window shopping at a gun shop up in Washington State, and came across an original Remington Rolling Block Sporting Rifle! Said it had just been dropped off on consignment, and I better get up there fast!
Got the particulars, and headed north for a 30 mile drive. When got to the shop, the Roller was still there! It was a .44 Sharps Bottleneck caliber (.44-77) and has a extra heavy 32" full octagon barrel, with a great bore! The gun has very good wood, and is unmessed with, still having all the original sights, and stocks in nice shape! I was fortunate to strike up a good repoir with the shop owner, who I had not met before, and ended up getting it for $400 less than the asking price!
I really am blessed to have such good friends looking out for me. Although my wife doesn't quite see my friends in the same way. Can't imagine why? I've wanted a Remington sporting rifle for a long time! Thought I'd never find one, and have missed several for a lot more money! Now comes the task of getting dies, brass, bullets, working up loads, etc..........Boy am I excited!
Oh did I forget to mention it has set trigger? :D

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
MM your magnet is working well to shoot across the border like that. What case is that cartridge based on? Congradulations on a great find.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's based on the same rim as all Sharps cases, which doesn't really match much else. I believe it can be made from .348 W. cases, as it has a .616" rim. Possibly a .45-70 case might also work, if the extractor will catch the smaller .602" rim. I looked at Midway for dies, and it looks like this will be a spendy caliber to get dies for. After the gun purchase, I might have to wait a bit! :shock:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
mm93,

And we are happy for you!!!!! Your wife called and said she is going on her own spending spree tomorrow and gave me my choice of any rifle I want out of that .22 collection you posted the picture of for $500!!!! She said it would be awhile before you even noticed now that you are infatuated with singleshots.

In all seriousness that is awesome! Post a picture when you get a chance and I'd like to know when you think it was made. Also, since I know nothing about rolling blocks, was this a rifle made and used during the buffalo hunting days????? If so how well did it compare with the vaunted Sharps??

By the way, the $400 OFF that you got is usually my entire budget for anything I purchase.

Fill in some more details when you get a chance.

Geoff

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
This is a good example for the guy who posted that there are no rifles like he wants in his area. The rifles are there, and if you have begged every friend you have to help you watch, they will begin to appear.

I had to laugh about your reloading dies remark. I am STILL saving for a set of odd caliber dies! ( 8X50R) Ain't it ironic how there is always money (somehow) for the sweet rifle that was languishing in some dusty corner, but your average gun nut just can't bring himself to part with 125 bucks for the reloading dies! Maybe it's just me - I have been accused of being excessively CHEEP! :wink:

In my own collecting adventures, someone had told me of 3 Russian rifles in a 2nd hand store. The shop owner got all carried away with the Cyrillic writing & thought they were something special. This is about the only time that my being literate in that language has paid off. They were pretty usual specimens & certainly not worth the inflated asking price.

Ah, but there's a gun show in Cheyenne later this month & I know of a vendor with a couple Russky rifles that doesn't speak-a the language!! :D

The hunt for red october ( or something else cool) continues! 8) SW

*Addition* It's a quarter to 5 here, and the temp is a bit low, so I made sure Shep the Wonder Dodge would be able to take me to work. - Fired right up!! :D So if it's this chilly here, it's gotta be a lot worse than that were Doc Sharptail lives!! :shock: Many years ago when I was in marketing, I would occasionally attend meetings in Minn. The locals would joke around that if spring happened on a weekend that year, they would play softball. At least, I THINK they were joking!

·
Registered
719 Posts
rolling block????

:cry:

:cry: :lonesome in tenn......*sigh* someday i too can have a rolling block......*sigh*

*sigh*

:oops:

·
Registered
579 Posts
MM93 Buffalo Arms will have dies and all for that caliber. It is becoming a popular caliber with the silhouette crowd. I believe C4HD ? makes a set of dies for about 60.00 USD. COngrats on the find. I have a military action barrelled up in 40-65 but there is something special about looking down an original barrel that can't be found on repo's or rebarrels! moodyholler

·
Registered
394 Posts
Hi 'Hogger,
It is no joke! It has been -21 for a few days now. The wind chill factor pulls it down to -50 or so. I live about 99 miles from the Border Patrol Station at Fort Frances. They usually break records up there. Block heaters are a must. I discovered that my Cavalier's block heater wasn't working last year during a -30 spell that lasted a few days. I recall one particularly unpleasant July 4th when the temperature dipped into the 30s. New Mexico is sounding better all the time! MM93, someone out there must offer brass for your new Remington, even if it is a Basic case. Graf and Sons or Midway might be able to help. How about Buffalo Arms? Also, Lee makes a bunch of real obscure dies now. If they make 44-77, they would cost a lot less than RCBS. Not comparable in quality or finish, but functional.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did some internet searching, and Buffalo Arms does have dies and brass. C&H 4D dies are $138, while RCBS are $320! Brass is not cheap, but I wont need a lot. A box of 20 is $25, and cheaper for 50 rounds at $49. So for under $200, I can get started reloading.
I have a copy of Mike Venturino's book, Shooting Buffalo Rifle, and he says this cartridge actually started life as a Remington developement for the buffalo hunters in 1869, but when Sharps offered it in their model 1874 the cartridge became known as the .44 Sharps. Remington must have finally given in to the idea that it was synonymous with Sharps, because they marked their barrels ".44 S" as mine is marked.
The Rolling Blocks were efinitely used during the Buffalo slaughter, and as they compared to Sharps, I'd say they were probably just as popular, but for different reasons. The Rolling Block is a strong action, but not nearly as strong as the 1874 Sharps. But, the RB was a less expensive gun, so it was sold in larger quantity than the Sharps. The .44-77 cartridge was one of the most popular cartridges of that era, and considered one of the best for buffalo. It wasn't however considered an extremely accurate cartridge with blackpowder, because of the bottlenecked case. That doesn't mean it wont shoot very well, if the right loads are worked up.
This old Roller is pretty crusty inside, from what I can see and feel, working the action and set trigger. I'll tear it down this weekend, and clean it out, for what might be the first time! Looks like the buttstock may not have been off in a long time, if ever. The set trigger breaks cleanly, but feels a little sticky with the hammer down, just moving it.
This is the fun part! tearing it down to see what it looks like inside, and getting to know a new gun!

·
Registered
394 Posts
The 2-1/4" bottlenecked 44 case was also used for the 44-90-500 and 44-90-520. The paper patched bullets were seated out further to accomodate the 90 grain charge. There was also a 44-90-550 bottleneck that used a 2-5/8" case. The 44-90-550 x 2-7/16" was supposedly a Remington pattern, not Sharps.

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Remington also used this same case as a basis for the .43 Spanish, which they brought out later. I've never understood the reason they didn't just sell the Spanish the .44-77, instead of coming up with a slightly different case?
Got this thing apart this morning, and holy cow! Looked like it had several ounces of debis in the action, which had accumulated over the last 125 years! I cleaned for several hours, and had to take the set triger mechanism apart to get all the junk out. What a difference! I thought the trigger was pretty good before, but it's outstanding now! The front sight looked a little strange, and it turned out to be a piece of lead for a blade! I removed that and whittled one out of brass stock, and swaged it into the base. Looks like it's ready to go, whenever I get dies and ammo together.
Great weekend to stay home and play indoors! We've got freezing rain, black ice on the streets, and winds of 30+ mph! It's 29 degrees out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts