Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
View attachment 97574 A new scope and mounts and replaced an ugly recoil pad with Winchester Butt Plate. I applied a small amount of Birchwood-Casey Tru-oil gun stock Finish to the stock, and have the fore-stock to do yet. A work in progress.

Click on photo to enlarge!

Attachments

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Gunner. Its a good shooter too! I use that rifle for my range gun. Time is coming to get back into shape!

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: 1895Gunner

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Mike, what type and brand of scope did you mount on your very clean Winchester? Nice looking set-up.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hi Dave:

The new scope is a Simmons 3 X 9 32mm. It is not a real expensive scope. The reason I got that scope was that the majority of "modern" scopes would not sit on the scope mount. I had the LGS put on a new Scope Mount. He said he would have to take off the rear iron sight with most of the scopes because none of them would clear. We tried a Leopold, and a Burris but they wouldn't mount. I have read too many occasions where shooters selling their rifles had LOST the rear iron sight; no thanks. Anyway, what I am going to do with the scope is sight it in at 100 yards, once that is OK, that is what I will concentrate on shooting with the scope. With my 66 year old eyes I am very careful how far I shoot. Most of the time I will not be using the scope. I take that rifle to the range and practice 50 yard targets with the iron sights. I also use my Margin 336a with open sights for practice too.

All in all, my LGS accepted my criteria for mounting a scope and sold me what he had that would work. I told him I didn't want to spend a lot. I have a Marlin Model 1895 45-70 that needs a scope and that is where I will invest some $$$ for a higher end scope. Once I learn how to use what is on this scope, I am sure I will be looking for more features. Right now, I am in the learning process.

Note: I bought this Model 94 (Pre-64) from the original owner. He bought it in 1956 brand new. Personally I would have never drilled out the receiver to mount a scope. Back in those days he wasn't worried about collectors value. He said "I bought it to kill deer". And that's what he did. I decided to upgrade the scope and mount, in addition to replacing a recoil pad that was on the butt with an original Winchester butt plate. The scope and mount he had on it looked beat up, so I replaced it.

Cheers!

Mike T.

Reactions: dhansen

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's a photo of my other Winchester Model 94. This one is in original condition, no drill holes for mounting a scope. Its in great shape. There are only a few lite handling scratches on the stock and hardly no handling signs on the receiver. This baby was made in 1952, it has been fired, but the action is still great. Works like a clock.

It was starting to get dark when I took this photo. Maybe I will try again tomorrow.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Mike are both your Winchesters in 30-30? I have one in .32Wspl and one in 30-30. They are fun to shoot and hunt with.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dave

Yeah, both are 30-30's. Occasionally I run across a 32 Special, but none that are in good shape. I really don't buy guns to collect them. I buy them to shoot them. There is not commerical 32 Winchester Special ammo available that I know of, so I really don't have that much interest in buying one to look at. At age 66 your priorities are different than at age 35. Anyway, 30-30 ammo is common and I have a LOT of it right now!

Spring is around the corner. I will get out to the range soon. I have the itch!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
24,980 Posts
There is commercial 32 WSP ammo available. I have bought Remington Corelokt and Winchester Super-X ammo at my LGS. Cost me about the same as a box of 35 Rem--35 bucks per box if I remember correctly. Actually--I can find it much easier the 30-30 ammo which has been hard to find the past year or so.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Nice looking rifle.
I have two Winchester 94s ........ a 1949 & a 1955.
Everything original.
I won't change or modify anything on an original Winny unless something wears out or breaks.
Same thing with my two original Winny model 100 semis.

**Somebody now makes a "no drilling or tapping" scope mount for pre 64 94s......can't recall the name of the company.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that info RET! I have fired both of the rounds you mentioned, but in 30-30. I prefer Federal ammunition, but I can't always get the Federal 3030a or 3030b. Right now I have both, but I just got hooked up with a guy that reloads for my LGS. I bought two boxes of 30-30 150 grain that looks just like the Federal ammo I like for 15 bucks a box. I will be giving that a try out at the range as soon as its warm enough.

Pricedo:

The first Winny 30-30 I bought already had the receiver drilled out and a scope on it. The second one I bought was original as pictured and will stay that way. I still enjoy shooting paper with iron sights!

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Super Moderator
24,980 Posts
My Marlin 30-30s all like 170 grain ammo--especially the Winchester brand. I still have a half box of the old style 170 grain Winchester Silver Tips that I use when hunting. Too bad these rounds are not made anymore.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Thanks for that info RET! I have fired both of the rounds you mentioned, but in 30-30. I prefer Federal ammunition, but I can't always get the Federal 3030a or 3030b. Right now I have both, but I just got hooked up with a guy that reloads for my LGS. I bought two boxes of 30-30 150 grain that looks just like the Federal ammo I like for 15 bucks a box. I will be giving that a try out at the range as soon as its warm enough.

Pricedo:

The first Winny 30-30 I bought already had the receiver drilled out and a scope on it. The second one I bought was original as pictured and will stay that way. I still enjoy shooting paper with iron sights!

Cheers!

Mike T.
I still like shooting game & paper with my Winchester 94s.
The factory sights are pretty decent.
At 60+ the POIs don't group as tightly as they did 40 years ago but a deer that presents a clear shot at 150 yards or less away is still pretty well assured of extinction.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RET

For target practice I usually try to use 150 ammo, I try to take it easy on my rifles if I am primarily interested in improving my shooting technique. I hadn't shot a rifle in 25 or 30 years so the technique I learned in the Army was not like an involuntary reflex as it was back in those days. I did remember what the instructors told me when I went into Basic Training at Ft. Knox so its a matter of taking my time and thinking about what I am doing. I was getting much better groups before the winter set in last year. As soon as it gets warm enough to get out to the range, I'll be back to practicing.

pricedo:

For the time being, I will be shooting paper. I am not in the physical condition I need to be to attempt hunting. I hope to get in better shape as the weather warms up. I like the standard iron sights on my Winchesters, and I've done well with the iron sights on Marlin 336a too. It still come down to basics. If I can't hit the broad side of a barn with iron sights, there would no sense in playing around with a scope. Ammunition is too expensive to waste.

Cheers,

Mike T.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another set of pics of my other Model 94

One from the other side......

This rifle is in excellent condition. There are a few small scratches on the stock and a few small handling marks on the receiver, but they are not noticeable in the PICS.

Cheers!

Mike T.

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Nice, I think you should post a photo of the 336A, its hard to beat a 336A in 30-30. And we like photos! The Winchesters are cool and light to carry, the 336A is a working mans tool that will stack the pills on-top of each other at 100 yards. You have a nice collection of 30-30's

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah Dave, I've been thinking about Posting a Picture of my 336a. I would have to Post it on a different thread, of course. That 336a has a 24" barrel on it, which is one of the reasons I was attracted to that rifle when I saw it at an Estate Auction. Its a VERY accurate rifle, despite my lack of adequate practice.

Stay tuned!

Mike T.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Nice rifles. I know this is a Marlin forum, but IMHO no other rifle ever made feels more comfortable or natural to carry afield than the Win 94. . Ditto on the 32WS. Federal also still makes ammo for it.

·
Banned
2,803 Posts
Nice, I think you should post a photo of the 336A, its hard to beat a 336A in 30-30. And we like photos! The Winchesters are cool and light to carry, the 336A is a working mans tool that will stack the pills on-top of each other at 100 yards. You have a nice collection of 30-30's
Have 4 Winchester 94s (2 x pre 64, 1 x post 64 Indian Yellowhead Commemorative, 1 x Miroku 94 TE) and a bunch of Marlin leverguns (1895s + 336s) and love em all.
They each have their strong points and weaknesses.

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shawlerbrook

Although I have spent quite a bit of time on FederalPremium.com, I never looked for 32 Special ammo. I really like the federal ammo I use now, and there are other ones that I would like to try.

Pircedo:

You have a nice collection of rifles!

Cheers!

Mike T.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts