Marlin Firearms Forum banner

A few tense moments this morning

3K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  MattyW 
#1 ·
I was out the friends property again this morning and Ozzy my dog was staying close so I knew something was up, as I walked up this little hill there were three grizzlies there at 50 yds ahead I had time to snap a quick picture with my phone. just after I took the picture she noticed me and stood up on her hind legs thats when I took my rifle off my shoulder and stood still, she was very tall and would of made a great picture.
We looked at each other for a moment and they all decided to run away thank god, thats 4 grizzlies in as many days. my dog was fantastic just stood besides me all the time,I don,t think he likes grizzlies to much.
they are a very beautiful animal and nice to see in the the wild. Steve!

See less See more
#4 ·
Steve, seeing one Grizzly at 50yds would make me nervous, three would be overdose! LOL

Glad you opted your rifle for your phone and the Grizzly's decided to run away. Otherwise, things would have went from nervous to intense, in an instant. Getting one shot off at a charging Grizzly beginning at 50yds away would have been a task, let alone three!

I have to say, you live a most interesting life. LOL

Thanks for posting this.

Jack

#10 ·
I dunno - gators are nothing to sneer at.
I was treed by one when I was younger - I'll never forget how lightning fast those things are.

#6 ·
I wouldn't mind a bit of excitement like that. No bears where I live. About the only thing you "might", come across my area would be a mountain lion. But even that would be a rare sight. I'm glad you and the bears went your separate ways, and no one was hurt or killed. I'm a hunter and respect the animals I hunt and don't hunt. I don't believe in killing anything for the sport of it. Although, I can't say that about myself in my youthful years. Great picture, stay safe.

#7 ·
Amazing experience! Only Grizzlies on the very edge of where I typically explore out here and have never run across one in the wild. Your dog is amazing! Such restraint and proper judgement is rare in a dog.

Going out looking for morels tomorrow and the bears are out. Went out last week and came across a black bear running the other way in the timber.

We have a Grizzly research center at the local university with a few of them out in a pen. Interesting to go watch up close.

#20 ·
these bears so close reminds me of this story. i have put this on here before and it is one of my favorites. when i was a kid daddy would get field and stream and outdoor life magazine. this story was in one of them and daddy told it to me. for years i pondered it, then when the internet came to life i searched and sure enough i found it. as i recall daddy said Jack had something to do with the trumpeter swans. anyway here is the story for you that has never heard it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Back in May of 1965, Jack Turner found out that it was just the gun for him to dispatch a charging grizzly that turned out to be the largest on record at that time.

In his story, "Killer Grizzly at Six feet", he recounts that he had moved his family up on the Atnarko River above Lonesome Lake in British Columbia. There were bear in the area and not one to take any chances, he always carried his faithful '94 .30-30 with him when away from the homestead.

He said "You never know when a grizzly will decide to pick a fight, so I rarely venture beyond the cleared fields around our house without hanging the old .30-30 over my shoulder. That precaution has saved my skin, or my family's at least twice."

On that particular day he left his house on a 2 mile walk to repair a fence. It was a fine spring morning. He recalls, "I came to a place where the trail, winding through cedars and cottonwoods, opens into a sunny glade no bigger than a house. I rounded a bend, and there in the center of the glade stood the biggest grizzly I had ever laid eyes on (and I have seen more than 200, in just about every part of British Columbia, in the last 20 years.) He was staring straight at me, and he was just 40 feet away.”

"Our eyes met and locked and he was on his way. I saw him in one instant and he was coming for me in a savage rush, running like a dog after his prey. He was drooling as he came, and a low growl was rumbling in his throat. I whipped the Winchester off my back and, since I carry the rifle loaded in the magazine but none in the chamber, I had to lever in a shell. The bear was almost on me when I slammed my shot into him, and I recall thinking, in that brief flash of time, that I'd only have time for one."

“I was using 170 gr. Soft point factory loads. I hit him dead center between the eyes and that soft point bullet blew his whole brain out through a hole in the back of his skull. He was still running full tilt when I shot, but his head went down between his forelegs, and he fell almost straight down. I backed off a few steps, held the rifle on him, and waited until I was sure there wasn’t a spark of life left in him. He was a buster, by far the biggest grizzly we had ever seen.”

Jack goes on to say that if the skull would have been intact, it would have scored 27 in the Boone and Crockett Clubs book according to them. The largest score on record at the time was 26 10/16.

beware of the man who has only one gun, it is likely he knows how to use it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#32 · (Edited by Moderator)
Wow, I have no idea of what it’s like to wander the bush and no be the baddest predator out there, our scariest are the salties ( crocs) and really if you’re in the water in FNQ then your as dumb as a box of rocks and deserve to be croc meal, the next closest we have now is feral dogs, and I’ve heard of a few guys getting hunted by them, but something as big as a grizzly that would be happy to eat you is beyond me, great photos thanks !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.