Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd post a few more photos of the elk my wife and I watched this past weekend. This was easy-viewing, at the Oak Creek winter feeding station. Wish I could get nice and close during the season...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Nice elk shots. Can,t help but notice the lack of snow. Would be good for the elk and deer if we could have another mild winter. When deer numbers are up that Oak Creek area can deliver some nice bucks as well elk.

·
Premium Member
12,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are Rocky Mtn elk, typical on the east side of the state. Over on the wet/west side is where the big Roosevelt elk are found. Those things can have HUGE bodies...

Interesting year over on this side for snow. We got a lot in December, but it blew off with a warm Chinook wind in early January and has been mighty scarce since. Should prove to be an easy winter for the deer & elk.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That second photo showing the elk in timber looks familiar. If its about three miles up Oak creek road its real close to where my son shot his first elk. The spike only rule is kinda of a downer these days. Darn it.

·
Premium Member
13,209 Posts
Very nice pics Guy and some beautiful elk!!! I would love to be able to go on an Elk hunt one of these days!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
I'd love to shoot an elk, but I'd need someone with me to help me field dress it and pack it out of the woods. It makes me cringe thinking about the work involved, especially with my back hurting this morning.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Getting an elk out by yourself is hard, but you can do it. My last elk I cut into 7 managable pieces ( 4 legs, rib cage cut in half then the head). I could have boned out the rib cage but I didn't. I probably will next time. A good quality pack frame with a meat shelf and an elk cart I was able to get it out in 3 trips. Not to bad for pushing 50 years old. Key

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had worked alittle in the Tonasket area in the mid 90s a saw more deer than I could count.Are there
any elk east or west of there?In a hour drive you could see pheasant,quail,coyote,whitetail,mulies and
poss. even a mountain billy.Trout fishing wasnt too shabby either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts